Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Call sign request
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:57 pm by patrik

» EU conditions have started
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by babis3g

» Solar power for emergency and portable use, and isolated sites.
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:49 am by Alan Pilot

» Tvi filters
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:59 am by Gekboy

» Are you sitting comfortably?
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:28 am by Victor

» Essex Ham Upcoming Courses (Last quarter 2024)
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:46 am by Victor

» Martins norfolk NET 27.355 lsb
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:09 am by Victor

» New Call Sign (Issued)
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:58 pm by John123

» Re: [Contact] CT Call Sign 11m (Issued)
Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:56 pm by John123

Keywords
yaesu Mckinley sign software 2023 lincoln chart anytone 2011 ss9900 callsign meter frequency list Sirio supply 6900 ALINCO power call 2022 9900 antenna 2024 president display
QRZ Database

Tvi filters

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gekboy

Call Sign : 26-CT-5212
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Dudley
Equipment Used : Cb and ham

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:01 am

Hi all, do tvi filters work both ways, I know they only let CB frequencys though but do the block inbound rf interference back to the rig as I get a lot of noise and just wanted to know before I buy 😄

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:47 am

Hiya Bert,

(Or is it Dave? You seem to have two names in your profile now but I've been calling you Bert before.)

A TVI filter isn't going to get rid of any common mode noise issues it being a low pass filter with the ground connection not isolated. I do believe that what you've described before as S9 of hash before along with your long length of coax is common mode noise problems more than anything.

I think someone suggested that you try to coil up some of your coax to provide choking and you mentioned 1:1 chokes before? Have you tried any of this sort of stuff out yet?

Here's a link to some great work done by the now unfortunately silent key Steve Hunt (G3TXQ) :-

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

If you take a look at the graph he did some extensive measurements with typical common mode chokes and the frequencies they're effective at. The air choke section shows that 5 turns of either RG58 or RG213 provides effective choking at CB frequencies and should help a lot.

You really need to wind the coax tightly next to each other though around a suitable former with 4.25 inches diameter being approx 100-110mm which is about the size of a soil waste pipe or maybe even a large plastic Coke bottle size. Otherwise the choking frequency could be well off and not do a proper job.

Maybe there's enough of a length in your coax to make such a winding near the rig end or even better at the antenna end without pulling everything all apart?

Worth trying out first rather than taking stabs in the dark with other options and maybe wasting time or money.

Do remember that we had rather a large solar storm recently (loads all summer long really this year!) so sometimes the CB frequencies have been 'dead' and sometimes nothing but loads of noise. I experienced about S7-S9 before it eventually dropped back to my usual low S1 or less with this recent storm.

Anyway, I hope that helps and that you get to the bottom of your noise woes as it can all get rather frustrating.

All the best,
Victor

VanRougeT4 and Gekboy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Gekboy

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:49 am

Victor wrote:
Hiya Bert,

(Or is it Dave? You seem to have two names in your profile now but I've been calling you Bert before.)

A TVI filter isn't going to get rid of any common mode noise issues it being a low pass filter with the ground connection not isolated. I do believe that what you've described before as S9 of hash before along with your long length of coax is common mode noise problems more than anything.

I think someone suggested that you try to coil up some of your coax to provide choking and you mentioned 1:1 chokes before? Have you tried any of this sort of stuff out yet?

Here's a link to some great work done by the now unfortunately silent key Steve Hunt (G3TXQ) :-

Hi thanks for the info it's Bert but I hate it so I use my middle name on here and when I'm on 📻 

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/

If you take a look at the graph he did some extensive measurements with typical common mode chokes and the frequencies they're effective at. The air choke section shows that 5 turns of either RG58 or RG213 provides effective choking at CB frequencies and should help a lot.

You really need to wind the coax tightly next to each other though around a suitable former with 4.25 inches diameter being approx 100-110mm which is about the size of a soil waste pipe or maybe even a large plastic Coke bottle size. Otherwise the choking frequency could be well off and not do a proper job.

Maybe there's enough of a length in your coax to make such a winding near the rig end or even better at the antenna end without pulling everything all apart?

Worth trying out first rather than taking stabs in the dark with other options and maybe wasting time or money.

Do remember that we had rather a large solar storm recently (loads all summer long really this year!) so sometimes the CB frequencies have been 'dead' and sometimes nothing but loads of noise. I experienced about S7-S9 before it eventually dropped back to my usual low S1 or less with this recent storm.

Anyway, I hope that helps and that you get to the bottom of your noise woes as it can all get rather frustrating.

All the best,
Victor

Gekboy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gekboy

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:55 am

Hi thanks for the info it's Bert but I hate it so I use my middle name on here and when I'm on 📻
 I have tried an air coil but not any good, maybe I didn't make it correct😆 I will try again

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:57 am

No worries there and I shall call you Dave from now on. Tvi filters  1f44d 

I'm surprised the air choke didn't work if wound as the data suggests but hopefully the CMC choke being delivered will help out.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Gekboy

Tvi filters  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tvi filters    Tvi filters  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:59 am

Yes please 🤪

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content