Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Intruduction & call sign request
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeToday at 1:03 pm by Neil762

» 11m conditions
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeToday at 7:46 am by SangueG

» HF Contacts 15m
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» New call sign request
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 pm by spod

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm by John123

Keywords
software lincoln ALINCO Baofeng callsign frequency call power chart antenna Sirio ss9900 Mckinley 2023 yaesu 2022 sign 9900 display meter president Mobile supply list anytone 6900
QRZ Database

Telescopic Fibreglass Pole

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Empty
PostSubject: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2021 1:27 pm

Bought the above pole to setup a long wire and can highly recommend them.
I bought a smaller one last summer but the top of it was so thin i didn't bother with it.
This one is so thick at the top it is in a different league.
You can get them on the bay £1 cheaper but i found that out after.
Delivery was quite quick as well. 
They do a 10m as well.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07573SV41/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

NUBSTER, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2021 2:55 pm

Good point that is Martin.
That pole is as thick at the end as it looks in the advert almost.
About 10mm i would guess but i am not metric lol the other one i bought is about 3mm.
Will have to bring it down and take a pic with a biro at the side as that's about the same thickness but that's my biro here on my desk.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 5:54 am

NUBSTER wrote:
May I  say to anyone new to radio or anyone who didnt know ,if concerning buying any of these types of pole make sure you do not buy ones made from or containing carbon fibre because it affects the SWR tuning .

Not as much as you would think from the fact carbon is conductive.  I have the pole in these videos from Sotabeams, and don't have an issue.  (Other poles may cause more grief, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idx1zdmeIOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zh0YLDazdM

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 7:32 am

NUBSTER wrote:
I wasn't saying these poles that Alan had purchased gave problems I was saying the poles which TBH are really fishing poles that was made from carbon fibre gave problems ,I even admitted I didn't know the technical way of explaining why it does but I know it does, unless everyone I know that has brought a carbon fiber pole and had problems is a lier.

Jesus, touchy much.....I was just pointing out some are fine, and that any effects are less than you would think you’d get from a conductive mast.  Shocked
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 am

NUBSTER wrote:
I wasn't being touchy you must have taken it that way , I  was just answering a post .

No, it came across that way, but all good.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 9:24 am

Simmer down now boy's.
I think it is something we have all read that the carbon poles don't work so well and we just pass that info on without ever testing it ourselves.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 9:32 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Simmer down now boy's.
I think it is something we have all read that the carbon poles don't work so well and we just pass that info on without ever testing it ourselves.

All good here mate. 

It’s exactly why I posted with first hand experience and the testing from the supplier though....and as I said, it doesn’t mean all carbon poles are the same, or even that different types of antenna wouldn’t be affected differently.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 am

It's good to debate Smile

Some types of carbon fibre composition have an effect, others have less or no effect.
Depends on what carbon fibre material is used and what type of antenna you're supporting.

Support an Inverted V antenna and the material won't make much of a difference. Support a vertical such as the T2LT and the material could have much more of an influence.

As it's "all radio" the electrical principles remain the same regardless of the frequency used, Amateur or CB Wink

It's just that an Amateur is probably more likely to use an Inverted-V or elevated End-Fed and a CB'er a Vertical.

Sir Francis Gilbert and his Cow weight observations play true.
We're not all right and neither are we all wrong, but together we can often come up with the right answer Smile

(Even anecdotal evidence can be valuable.)

Reminds me of the 'old days' with Amateurs screaming the virtues of boiling wood supports for ladder-line in paraffin wax or varnishing their wooden antenna support Very Happy

Nice pointer on the Amazon buy though Alan, you'll have to let us know how you get on with those poles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 10:48 am

NUBSTER wrote:
The reason I mentioned about carbon fibre fishing poles is that when people make the tl2t or whatever its called for CB use which most of the people I know do ,if they use a carbon pole they cant get the SWR down for a safe use ,as for Amateur bands I wouldn't  know so perhaps on Amateur bands its different.

Dunno, but I have one somewhere I made years ago, so next time I’m out and have a chance, I’ll try it on both the 6m carbon pole, and one of my fibreglass ones, and see what the analyser shows.

I usually use the short pole with an EFHW, which does have a wire going up the pole and then out to a tree or similar, not as a centre support for a dipole as Victor mentioned.  This particular pole would never support the weight of a dipole and feedline.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
KP441
KP441

Call Sign : KP441
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Near Horsham
Equipment Used : lincoln & 3 element yagi, antron 99.

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 pm

One thing,  carbon fibre conducts electricity. I can remember the national news about 20 years ago. Someone putting a pole  up on a hill DXing in the dark. They hadn't been there before so were unaware of the overhead cables, power jumped the gap and you can guess the rest. Glassfibre won't conduct electricity,  although I still wouldn't want to stick one up near a power line. I can't comment on the SWR issue, I'll have to leave that to more knowledgeable people but thought it worth highlighting the general safety warning especially when sticking any tall pole up without seeing what's above in daylight first. Sorry to be 'Mother Hen' but I don't want any of you to make that kind of news report.

NUBSTER and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Telescopic Fibreglass Pole   Telescopic Fibreglass Pole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Telescopic Fibreglass Pole
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: