Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:31 am by John H

» South Coast PMR net report
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
2023 supply Sirio meter 6900 power 2022 Baofeng antenna ss9900 callsign president sign Mobile display ALINCO frequency call lincoln anytone software yaesu chart list Mckinley 9900
QRZ Database

Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?

Go down 
+4
ILikeRadioSoDoYou
Victor
Alan Pilot
26uk81
8 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Empty
PostSubject: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 4:09 pm

In my quaint utopian version of life, when a station is calling out on the triple five, they say "QSY to X frequency".   You then go to that frequency, wait for them to say their call sign followed by "QRZ".   You then call in with yours.  If you are lucky, you get the first dibs on the QSL, sometimes others might have a stronger station or better propagation and get in before.   Fair enough, that's life.   But one pet irritation of mine is when people go straight to the channel and go booming in with their 400 watts and four element beam before the call has even been put out.   Then you sit there waiting patiently for the QSO to end, but just before it does, some else comes blasting in with their callsign.  They get the contact, again, you wait patiently then the propagation drops.    I know it's "freeband" and there are no actual rules as such, but is there no honour amongst thieves?   I've experienced people who I'm mates with doing this, I don't say anything because it seems a relatively trivial thing to get into an argument about, but I do nonetheless find it frustrating!   To me, the fair and polite way of operating is the wait for the QRZ before you call, then everyone gets a fair crack.

John123, Razz229 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 5:06 pm

All i can say is if you can't beat em join em.
But i do get where you are coming from it pi55es me off big style as well.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Nothing wrong with a quaint utopian view Chris Smile

You'll find a similar story on the Amateur bands even though everyone will deny it, (all Hams are OM gentlemen don't-cha-know Very Happy)

One thing that I hear though on the Ham bands is where the often powerful DX station tells everyone else to stop transmitting so as to give the QRP stations an attempt. Now that is the gentleman thing to do!

Often these are licenced operators that also utilise the CB frequencies and perform a similar thing asking for only one specific callsign to call back.... doesn't always work though.

Obviously everyone is excited by a DX contact all scrabbling to get in while they have the chance but you also have to realise that often, (not always), they can't hear each other, just the DX station. For the poor old DX station it's a mush of multiple stations calling them and a difficult job to separate the callsigns so usually the more powerful station comes through clearer and is answered. Ergo, everyone jumps the ladder installing beams and connecting linears up to make sure they have a better chance.

The whole mess carries on ad infinitum. Wink

Without starting the old CB versus Ham nonsense up....(we've all heard those arguments a million times)

Usually on the Amateur bands you will hear the hesitancy of callers especially if the DX station asks for a bit of order. Everyone suddenly becomes a little unsure of when to call in and weirdly a sense of order prevails. It doesn't always last long but it gets repeated in waves. This also gives the poor old DX station a chance of separating those calls.

On the CB bands however, that hesitancy is not there, quite often stations try and key up that mic as fast as they can!!

I sometimes hear the 'cool, calm, collected' operator who doesn't rush, speaks slowly and surely, often ending with their callsign. They tend to be successful as everyone else has shouted over the top of each other so the DX station hears the initial noise and then the clarity and callsign of the last calmer caller.

It can be quite the DX trick Wink

Personally I can't be doing with it all, it's like watching flies gathering around a pile of you know what.
(Another plus for FT8 too! Very Happy)

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. There's bound to be a serious DXer with their sixpence.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
ILikeRadioSoDoYou

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : .
Equipment Used : .

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Yes exciting isn't it ! The craziness of 11m DX is why some people cannot let it go.

In my experience most people wait for the station to call on the QSY frequency first. I guess you could "get in there first" by calling their call sign on the QSY freq... that can happen, I don't do it often myself but I may do once in a while.

I would say if someone is calling before the T5 station has even arrived and called the QSY freq, keying over the responding station is fair game. Then the QSY station can choose. Gentlemenly ? It is about as gentlemenly as the other station calling before the other station even got there.

Free band etiquette is something you aim for but no one is perfect, as mentioned sometimes you don't hear all the local stations responding, so you missed that one but you will get the next.

There is one rule that I think everyone should abide by. Even if you have entered some rough and tumble and let's face it that is always going to happen, it is the nature of the beast..always end it well, mistakes happen, people are not heard etc. so always apologize and get along with everyone... it is good for you and good for others.

Life is too short to get the hump, if you get the hump go away from the radio for 5-10mins chill make a cuppa and  come back after your adrenaline has dropped. It is a bit of DX, not a fight to the death, one day you win one day you lose.

Razz229, Victor, 26uk81 and Savwafare10 like this post

Back to top Go down
KP441
KP441

Call Sign : KP441
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Near Horsham
Equipment Used : lincoln & 3 element yagi, antron 99.

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 9:28 pm

Agree it can be a nightmare. One point of etiquette that's worth also considering is that if putting out the Dx call and offering a QSY frequency at least listen on the QSY frequency beforehand to make sure your not inviting every station to stomp all over some other Dxers QSO

Razz229, Victor and 26uk81 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Well said Steve. The other stuff is part of the excitement but QSYing all over someone is just the worst!
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 pm

A quick tip on choosing a qsy frequency. I first listen and then put a call out asking if it is free. All I do, is say "26CT763, is this frequency clear?"  

If another op is using that frequency, they are usually very grateful (in my experience) and quite often pass on contacts they are making, over to me. It is surprising how far a little politeness goes to good cooperation.👍

Razz229 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 pm

Another tip, when responding to a dx qrz call, is to just go back with your unit number, rather than your full call. It is often easier for the other station to pick out.👍

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 5:30 am

Great tips there John 👍

The asking if the frequency is clear aspect is something found on the Amateur bands but not always adhered too.
As you say, a few manners goes a long way Smile

John123 and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 7:03 am

I agree Victor.
It's fresh in my mind so to say but very rare to hear it asked.
The local GW-0's never say it or they might have done it some time back say 1960 lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 7:13 am

Ha! Very Happy You're not wrong Alan.
Think it's rare to hear a 'G' ask, more common with an 'M' or '2E'. On CB 'freeband' it's even rarer! Wink

I still giggle at the webSDR's with the little tags that state, "such and such's net" as if they 'own' the frequency!?!
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 9:36 am

Yep it’s a jungle out there 😂 if it’s a rare dxcc then it can be well sporty but that’s the fun of it, all fair in love N war , one has to learn some tricks of the trade and am not talking throwing power at it although obviously that can help in a pile up lol

Timing of your call can make a really big difference, don’t pile in when you here QRZ let the big guns take each other out and then call in or if you are using let’s say 5 to 10w don’t be shy of say QRP after your call 

Enjoy 

Craig

NUBSTER, John123, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 1:12 pm

QRP is something i add to the end of my call IF i remember and it does work some times well many times just need to say it.

Last edited by Alan Pilot on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 10:31 pm

Sydthecat wrote:
Yep it’s a jungle out there 😂 if it’s a rare dxcc then it can be well sporty but that’s the fun of it, all fair in love N war , one has to learn some tricks of the trade and am not talking throwing power at it although obviously that can help in a pile up lol

Timing of your call can make a really big difference, don’t pile in when you here QRZ let the big guns take each other out and then call in or if you are using let’s say 5 to 10w don’t be shy of say QRP after your call 

Enjoy 

Craig
Another good tactic, Craig.👍 

I always add mobile or portable to the call, as that sometimes gets results.
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm

I always remember Johnno being amazed, when I told him I was working him on a Sirio 4000, all the way to Wagga Wagga, Craig.👍
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 9:40 pm

100 Watts through a 4 element beam normally does the trick

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 pm

They do make a massive difference when working long dx.👍 I think that is what made the contact all the more satisfying as I was on the mobile whip. The next goal is to work 41 div (New Zealand) on a mobile whip. I have SWL'd on a mobile, but was unable to get back.

2TX240 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?   Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is DXing a "gentleman's" sport?
Page 1 of 1