Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» New call sign request (Issued)
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by John123

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 15m
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Iss space station  Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm by glenn dog

Keywords
ss9900 2022 frequency call display 6900 chart sign Mckinley meter Sirio Mobile software lincoln president ALINCO list antenna supply 9900 callsign Baofeng power anytone 2023 yaesu
QRZ Database

Iss space station

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi all is it correct we not allowed to make contact with  iss, i thought we
was allowed to tx to them when it crossed the  uk..,,, obviously with my M7..... .
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 11:15 pm

I would if I could, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, It'll be decommissioned before we know it.
None of the chicken band banter like animal noises, "im going to track you down" rubbish and silly music carriers of course. 
I'd send my best wishes and let them know that the gravity here on earth is feeling quite grounding and the cool breeze of fresh air is giving me goosebumps.🙂
I'm sure they'd love to know someone on earth is thinking of them as they zoom past.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 12:29 am

26ct954 wrote:
Hi all is it correct we not allowed to make contact with  iss, i thought we
was allowed to tx to them when it crossed the  uk..,,, obviously with  my M7..... .

The cross band repeater is on 145.990 up 67 Hz tone 437.800 down.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 6:27 am

For more information regarding the International Space Station and Amateur Radio Satellites it's worth checking the following site :-

https://amsat-uk.org/

There's a wealth of information there and useful links to other sites. There are also some useful videos on 'YouTube' if you do a search there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 6:40 am

Thanks Victor nice to hear from you again hope ur keeping well,, are we allowed with  our licence some people say no..
Had some good contacts on Hf with the . Lw20,, but  making changes like  we do putting up a cobweb that  should  make things interesting...
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 7:56 am

Hi Chris, 

Keeping well here mate, hope you and yours are well too. 

Unfortunately certain people when they're uncertain of facts will plop for the simple "no" answer leaving out the "I'm not sure".

For example Ofcom have had to recently clarify the situation regarding operation on waterways and territorial waters after "Full licence" holders bemoaned Intermediate and Foundation licence holders making transmissions at sea. The original clause stated that Full licence holders could operate in International waters but never a clause to stop anyone operating in territorial waters. (There was a huge kerfuffle down Southampton, Isle of Wight way because "Novices" were transmitting from boats and ferries?!?!)

As far as I can see there is no such limitation for using satellites including the International Space Station.

However, be prepared for maybe a bit of a downer regards ISS/satellite contact in what can be achieved and the limits our licence may impose. 

Anyone can listen to the ISS and satellites orbiting the earth often with modest equipment and of course no licence is required. The first, (and actually last), few times I listened out I was disappointed to only hear data transmissions the crosslink repeater also carrying APRS data packets and sometimes SSTV, (Slow Scan Television). The initial excitement of knowing I'd received something from the ISS wore off quickly.

Those that do transmit are usually using complex beam antennas and a lot of watts to achieve contact so of course the paltry Foundation 10W may be a limit. Then they are usually only using the crosslink repeater, (now that it's working again), to have the briefest contact with other Radio Amateurs. The short window of contact opportunity is probably why 'packet' data is so often used.

To be perfectly frank and honest I've never personally worked any satellites including the ISS. As I delved into this murky world and I use that word expressively as info from others is as clear as muddy water, I was left a bit.......yawn. Wink

Don't expect to be flying out to the garden armed with a Baofeng and start chatting to one of the astro/cosmonauts/crew.....it just ain't gonna happen(!)

The talk schedules for educational establishments are booked well into 2022 and tightly controlled. The crew do have the ability to make Amateur Radio contacts during their 'free time' but as far as I know this rarely happens. Ya-da, ya-da, etc.

So, to paraphrase myself from the start, "I'm not sure", but what little Information I gleaned left me rather 'meh'.

Anyway, can you imagine if there was an open frequency to the crew so that anyone could shout out as they passed over?

It'd be worse than the 555 freeband frequency in full flow on a hot summers day! Very Happy

(Remember too, a lot of people just outright lie about ISS contact - a Radio Amateur in India was recently shamed claiming that he'd spoken to the Dragon-X crew on route to the ISS - NASA later confirmed it just simply didn't happen.)

Chris mate, I hope that wasn't a bit of a downer for you. Maybe there are Foundation holders who've at least worked the cross-repeater but I haven't come across one. It's always worth asking and the great thing about Amateur Radio is there are always things worth exploring. 
Keep asking, keep exploring and above all enjoy yourself whilst doing it.

All the best to you,
Victor

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 10:21 am

I found a good utube video of a ham making contact with the ISS. He was saying that occasionally astronauts that have amateur licences put out a CQ. During his video the astronaut gave a school class a quick run down of what was happening on the ISS, then in its next pass they were making multiple contacts with earth dwelling operators.

Here's the link
https://youtu.be/MpZqaVwaIYk

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 4:20 pm

You are able to contact the ISS as a licenced radio amateur if you have the ability to reach them within the limits of your licence. Most crews have a licenced radio amateur on board and in their down time they will get on the air from time to time.

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 4:34 pm

Thanks one sensible answer....
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 1:36 am

26ct954 wrote:
Thanks one sensible answer....
Ouch ! Ain't that a kick in the ribs to all those who took the time to reply to your original post 🤣
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 6:00 am

The OP could look up their licence terms and conditions.
BTW they really should know them after just getting the licence.

Hotel Zulu 253 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Iss space station  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iss space station    Iss space station  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iss space station
Page 1 of 1