Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CAll Sign for division 26
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm by John123

» Callsign request for division 45
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John123

» EU conditions have started
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:22 pm by babis3g

» Where can i get QSL cards??
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 am by GaryWilson

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2024 7:42 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request (Issued)
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 5:32 pm by Maxander

» New callsing request (Issued)
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2024 12:55 am by Razz229

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Hgv Install Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm by andy pi

Keywords
ALINCO 9900 display 2023 Baofeng 6900 call Sirio supply antenna meter 2022 ss9900 lincoln yaesu president software anytone frequency callsign sign chart Mobile Mckinley power list
QRZ Database

Hgv Install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Becant

Call Sign : 26-CT-4129
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hereford, West Midlands.
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900 N

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2021 6:58 pm

Has anyone fitted a Cb to a Flat roof Volvo Fh if so how did you feed the coax through the roof lining ???
I’m going to be using a Sirio Performer 5000 and I’m gonna magmount it to the back of the cab as it will be to high mounted on the roof will this affect performance by much ???
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2021 9:09 pm

They don't work well on the back of the cab, especially if you're pulling a curtainsider, fridge etc. OK with flats and tippers though. You're also going to be crushing the coax when you bring it into the cab if using a mag mount which will ruin it.

If it were a choice between a Performer 5000 on a mag mount on the back and a 4ft antenna, like a stinger type, on a fixed body mount on the roof I'd go with the 4ft antenna and I'm someone who normally says they're the last thing you should get. 

Unfortunately modern lorries are crap for putting CB antennas on. I drive a DAF CF with the space cab and have given up. One of the units I drive does have a CB antenna on the back of the cab using the manufacturer's mount but the range is a couple of miles at best and given he's had a few CBs in over a very short period of time I'm assuming the SWR ain't all that great either.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 6:48 am

Not driven for many years now but used to use the mirror mount but i think you don't even have that now all plastic now.
A cophased harness and 2 springers was my last setup.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Yeah you're absolutely knackered on modern lorries nowadays unless you're running things like tippers and tankers with day cabs.

I will say I've noticed a lot of lorry drivers using amateur repeaters on 2m, especially GB3YW which covers north up to Scotch Corner, south well into South Yorkshire, to the top of Windy Hill and as far east as Hull, Bridlington etc. I'm guessing those interested in having a radio in their cab still have given up on CB, both due to issues installing something that works decent and lack of people on it, and taken their ham licence. Installing a dual band 2m/70cm is much more feasible, there's a big enough gap between the back of the cab and the trailer headboard if you put one there and repeaters massively improve your coverage.
Back to top Go down
Becant

Call Sign : 26-CT-4129
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hereford, West Midlands.
Equipment Used : CRT SS 6900 N

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2021 10:28 am

Fortunately I drive a Tipper a Volvo Fh I also plan on trying to get it quite high at the back of the cab so we’re just have to see how it goes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hgv Install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hgv Install   Hgv Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hgv Install
Page 1 of 1