Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
chart 9900 software supply sign Mckinley meter ALINCO list Baofeng callsign anytone 2022 2023 power yaesu 6900 call frequency Sirio display Mobile president antenna lincoln ss9900
QRZ Database

what is the best radio to use now

Go down 
+4
chazwozza
Northern Crusader
Azza
teapot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

what is the best radio to use now Empty
PostSubject: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 2:09 pm

i am thinking of coming back to this hobby but unsure what radio to buy. in the 70s and 80s i ran the 148 gtl dx, i have been on ebay and they are out of my price range. i have about £150 to £200 to spend on a radio, what would like something that can preform as well as the 148 did, can you please help.
Dave.

Howard likes this post

Back to top Go down
Azza
Azza

Call Sign : 26-CT-4279
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Exeter, Devon.
Equipment Used : CRT Xenon (mobile)

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 6:45 pm

I bought a CRT Xenon for the car off eBay for £50 with a mag mount whippy... I had a Midland 3001 back in the 80's but didn't want to spend a fortune on a rig to find there is no one this side of Bristol using CB still.... So far around Torquay I have heard no one...

There are a few HAM users in Barton, not sure on CB Smile
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 3:45 am

President McKinley.

Steve k likes this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 2:41 pm

Save a bit more and get a used hf rig
Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Ok like the summer camp coffee warmer the 450 or the 706
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 am

ft-450d is a very good radio and not too expensive.
Built in tuner so a long wire end fed for not a lot and your are cooking on gas.
Don't forget the 30Amp power supply.
Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 12:24 am

Hi Dave, I'd heartily recommend the CRT 6900, or the CRT 9900.  Both radios are also known as the AnyTone 5555 and 6666 when re-branded.  The 6900/5555 are both within your price range and are very easy to use.....the 9900/6666 are a bit more expensive and are a bit more complicated.  All these radios can be programmed by the shop to cover all the bands between 10-11 metres, so it's an ideal starting point for FM/AM/SSB comms across the amateur bands, and more.  As you're coming back to the hobby, I'd opt for the 6900/5555, as they will have a 'familiar feel' with the displays and knobs where they should be, if you know what I mean?  Both rigs can be used at home with a battery/transformer, or in the car, and work great with both home antennas and mobile antennas on the car roof.

I hope this helps chap?

Cheers

Simon.
Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 1:36 am

I have owned anytone q5v6 and the q6.  SS3900 (one of my favs) was a Grant fan for ever (just because I didn't want to be like everyone else (cobra 148gtl/2000gtl)lol  few Royce am/ssb radios, (I collect them) But I'd have to say  a good ol HF rig, I owned 2 Yaesu FT 757GX2. Moved onto the KEnwood TS430S then to the TS440s and now the TS450s.  they just offer more options , filtering, ATU on some of them. I own a Xeigu G90 SDR, it's neat little radio, but I like my older HF stuff for SSB work. With a good speaker or headphones, it makes it more "comfortable" I guess to listen too.  ANd for the prices of some of these newer radios?   You can aquire and decent older HF unit.  I still have the Anytone q5 V6 (5555 V6)  Its ok.  its my back up  unit on the desk or beats around in the mobile at times for road trips ect.  Btw, the Xeigu G90 paired to  a RM Italy KL203,  most can't tell the difference between the Icom 7300 or my Station when its in use. lol  and  is still cheaper than the Icom 7300.  But not much to look at as opposed to the IC7300 ;-)
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2021 5:59 am

Hi Dave. As some others I would recommend the 6900 as it is in the price range you are looking at, or the G90 if you can save some more, but only because I am using these two and they are performing for me superbly. My G90 is not on 11m because I want to keep it stock, but on 10m (which effectively has the same as conditions as 11m) with the power wound down to 10W it performs well. Know one knows I am using a cheapish 10m radio or the G90 unless they ask and are often quite surprised when they learn what they are.

With my first contact into Belgium on the 6900 I had a long QSO and the OP was so surprised at the radio and low power I was using he spent some time with me first turning off his amp, then turning his power down to closer to mine, and he only dropped a couple of S points. He finished with the words "some times I wonder why I spend all my money on this equipment I have".

I do like a good button pressing and knob twiddling Wink ..if you do then an older used HF set may be the way to go like has also been suggested. I am sure I would love to use one too, but haven't had hands on to comment.

Savwafare10 and TheReverend like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what is the best radio to use now   what is the best radio to use now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what is the best radio to use now
Page 1 of 1