Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeToday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeToday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:27 pm by GaryWilson

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
frequency Baofeng 2022 callsign 2023 9900 list display yaesu chart call 6900 anytone software Mckinley antenna president ALINCO ss9900 sign meter power Sirio supply lincoln Mobile
QRZ Database

Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Empty
PostSubject: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 2:26 am

Pulling the Kenwood TS 450s out of line for a bit. Going to give the Xiegu G90 anothe r try.   Have to dig out the RMItaly KL 203 to pair with it, Not sure I could do "just" 20watts on SSB mode.  Having the "switch" to flip may give assurance I "could" make that contact as well as the TS 450s, just being fair. lol  The strange side of my radio hobby says, "work that 20watts"  better bragging rights I suppose if it were to happen.  2CT351 N Colorado 73

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 8:25 am

Savwafare10 wrote:
 The strange side of my radio hobby says, "work that 20watts"  better bragging rights I suppose if it were to happen.

This element of the hobby interests me. Not 'bragging' so much, but I do get a feeling of accomplishment when I make a contact with someone whilst I am using very low power. Whilst knowing their fantastic beam antenna with pin point directivity and gain upon their tall tower is helping tremendously to pull in my little signal, the fact that my signal is reaching them is still testament that my little setup is working efficiently.

It's a good feeling knowing all CB contacts I have made since coming back to the hobby have been with just the output power of the 6900n and other bands max 10 watts all into home made antennas, mostly indoors. I am looking to go even lower in power in the future... Peter Parker (not Spiderman) VK3YE has done some amazing QRP work down to just using a few milliwatts and still made "DX" contacts. His writeups and videos have been inspirational and I am looking for an good accurate attenuator at the moment to take my G90 lower than its current 1 watt lowest setting.

But we're all different. I do remember the confidence boost of keying up with big power. My father-in-law recently said he has found some of my old '80s kit in a cupboard, including a 500W amp. I'm still waiting to see what he's uncovered, but for sure nothing like that will be put inline at home now.. not sure what would happen first, the balun burning out or the ends of the fan dipole arcing and setting my roof insulation on fire Shocked

I hope you pick some DX up soon Jeremy. It has been quiet for me too this week, I think mainly because I haven't been able to use the radio during the day times. But it's the weekend now, so fingers crossed we all get to work a bit, be that with big power or not Smile

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 9:44 am

Nicely put there Neal. radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. 1f44d 

Big fan of Mr. Peter Parker VK3YE myself even digging back through past Australian Amateur Radio magazine archives to read his old articles. Could thank him many times for his useful insight and yes, the thrill of 'homebrew' and QRP is just something else! Smile

Just don't fall into the trap that QRP is only possible due to the 'Big-Gun' stations......I don't mind their beams picking up my meagre transmissions but they could tone down theirs and save my S-meter needle flying off its swivel!!! Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------

Have fun with your radios there Jeremy. radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. 1f44d 

If you can make a contact with the burners on, give them a quick switch off and see if you still make the contact - heck of a buzz and sense of achievement if you do. Smile

I've never been a fan of 'signal reports' where that un-calibrated scale is concerned - If you can hear me and can understand me and I you, then it's a successful transmission as far as I'm concerned.

All the best,
Victor

Savwafare10, SangueG and andysum like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Plenty of DX on the ham bands.....maybe use the ham gear on the bands it was intended to be?

Savwafare10 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 pm

@ Northern Crusader, Maybe some day,  If they would  do a HF test only , I'm all in.  27Mhz is part of the HF band, so is it really not intended for 27mhz only?  lol .  I know I am "Limiting" myself in the Transmitt dept using HF gear for the 11m band. But? I like Freeband/11m. The Antennas are somewhat easy to build and work with as opposed to 20m,40m.80m ect ect.  Small house lot, so can't get crazy with a HF beam here anyways.  I do know both my neighbors fairly well. I don't think they would oppose a Boom lingering over there back yard.   I listen, and enjoy. I like what I like and have met alot of people via Freeband over the yrs.  I choose HF gear, because, lets face it, after "modding"  a CB to death ($$$) its cheaper to perchase a older HF radio by then. And still have more features over a modded CB.  Well in SSB mode anyways.  I don't compete on "the super bowl", but it is entertaining to say  the least.  Another side of having such gear is the "Prepper" . If things go south here, I'd hate to just have a CB. ;-)  2CT351 Jeremy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Not a huge fan of contesting, Digi, Ft8 ect ect.  I like "phone"    Conversation, Roundtable type stuff, I listen to  the "night owls"  on 75m alot. Thats more what I am about. DXing  is alot more had on  the lower HF bands , yes, I'll grant that.  Thats why I stated if they had a HF only test.  But I feel we all know that is not likely to happen.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 6:53 am

There certainly is a huge difference between the US and UK on what permissions are granted for each level of licence obtained, bands and power levels. I wonder how many people here would have taken the Foundation if HF was not open as much as it is to us.

Contesting is not for me, but I have joined in a little on some of them purely because the bands are so active then and there is a good chance to make contact with a new to me entity.

Savwafare10 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2021 9:05 am

SangueG wrote:
There certainly is a huge difference between the US and UK on what permissions are granted for each level of licence obtained, bands and power levels. I wonder how many people here would have taken the Foundation if HF was not open as much as it is to us.

UK foundation license holders are extremely spoilt.  The US, as you infer, gives very little HF privileges to Technician class.  They can run 1500w on VHF though. Very Happy

Here in Aus, in addition to a 10w limit (and that’s 10w out of the radio, not into the antenna like the UK), Foundation calls cannot use a heap of bands, including 20m, all the WARC bands, the SSB part of 6m, and 160m, plus none of the microwave bands.  Until recently, they weren’t allowed digital modes, or to build their own kit either!

Floydian557, Savwafare10 and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.   radio - Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just board, no DX last few days. radio swap time.
Page 1 of 1