Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:51 pm by Izzi

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:30 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

Keywords
yaesu ss9900 display Mobile meter ALINCO 2023 sign president Mckinley Baofeng frequency callsign software call anytone supply antenna lincoln list Sirio 6900 chart power 2022 9900
QRZ Database

Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Forester

Call Sign : 26-CT-4299
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Mansfield
Equipment Used : CRT 7900, Silver Rod

Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Empty
PostSubject: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pm

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but couldn’t find anything.

I’ve been monitoring them for a while with some really basic equipment. 
A simple Baofeng UV-5R Tri Band model covers the frequencies and I built several antennas for it. 
A horizontal V Dipole works well but you can also use cheap TV ‘rabbit ears’, the quarter wave ground plane dipole works well as does a Yagi.

Mostly South Americans and Russians, a bit like CB; arguments, music and chit chat. 
I caught what I think is a Pirate Station last night as there was a playlist that lasted over a hour with the odd greetings. 

If anyone is interested here are some active frequencies from the last seven days;

Alan - Mirror Man and Ninjaunicorn1 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi Frank,

Not something I'd heard of before, definitely not on the forum and after looking into it some more I'm glad I hadn't.
Why would US military satellites be so open? (I suppose age.) Why would you want to 'pirate' one? (Maybe fun?)

I suppose it's one of those "You shouldn't even if you could" scenarios and if all you're doing is receiving then I'd think there's no harm done. But then after reading about some of the more criminal activities that have occurred on them and especially the federal busts afterwards I'd personally steer clear.

I can now see more ammunition given to the 'hopping mad' bureaucrats of the world, (official and unofficial), in banning such radios as the Baofengs that nowadays have such frequency coverage. Someone figuring one out and transmitting the alarm siren on a local Ham repeater is bad enough!

Banning them because of such instances could also strip away the affordability of such equipment to legitimate interest users and those recently licensed. Ham radio can be an expensive enough hobby and I'd hate to see such affordable options suddenly disappear. Plus I'd never again want to see the day where you have to present your licence before being able to purchase a radio. (Some outlets still keep a wary eye out even today! I know, despite online sales making it easier.)

So yeah, maybe interesting but you just can't help but think about the ramifications.

I also never got why anyone would want to use a radio to perform a 'Smashie & Nicey" DJ music set either. Wink

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Forester

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi Victor

Thanks for the reply and some good points made. 

From doing some research I read this began in Brazil where some parts of the country are so remote there isn’t even cellphone coverage. Truckers commonly use it and the kits to modify 2m radios are readily available to buy at Truckstops.
I read about the criminal activity as well and it sounds like a bit of a free-for-all.

I suppose coming from a SWL background it’s not much different to monitoring Clandestine Stations or even Military Codes, but i understand what you are saying.  Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  1f44d 
There are others doing Satcom DX with much more serious equipment than me, so I’m not too concerned about Pablo Escobar or the FBI coming looking for me yet Laughing
Also, most SDR’s and Scanners cover these frequencies besides the much maligned Baofeng.
Frank

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2022 6:33 am

No worries there Frank. Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  1f44d 

I completely understand your interests in monitoring the airwaves being a long term SWL myself. (I love hearing news reports from a range of different angles and always amazed at quality English speaking transmissions made.)

You're quite right that many SDR units are more than capable of receiving such transmissions and I think the main reason the Baofeng gets such a knocking is because it's capable of transmitting too. 

I'm just grateful that it isn't illegal nor in my own opinion harmful to simply listen to such radio activity but I know of individuals in other countries arrested for simply owning a SDR USB dongle(!)

It's all interesting stuff there Frank and I've loved hearing as well as reading about it thanks to your posting. Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  1f44d 

If you ever get that 'itch' to take it further and press the transmit key then there's a good route with Amateur Radio which has everything from shortwave to VHF and beyond including satellite work. You have to jump a few hoops to be licensed but great knowing that there won't be a dreaded knock at the door or finding yourself extradited! Wink

All the best to you and thanks again for the posting,

Victor

Alan - Mirror Man and Forester like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2022 6:44 pm

It's been going on for years.
Every so often the users are found and it ends up not funny for them.
I believe one guy in states got a $20000 fine and in Brazil they could get upto 4years inside.
It doesn't seem to stop them in Brazil as they keep at it.

Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Especially fun if you know Spanish or Portuguese. One of the easiest sat comms to pick-up because of the relatively low frequency. Use RTL-SDR dongle and homebrew yagi. You never know what you might hear. Fun listening.

Back to top Go down
Forester

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2022 7:20 pm

RadioWavez wrote:
Especially fun if you know Spanish or Portuguese. One of the easiest sat comms to pick-up because of the relatively low frequency. Use RTL-SDR dongle and homebrew yagi. You never know what you might hear. Fun listening.
I heard some kind of a prayer/sermon service yesterday that went on for a hour or so before people started interrupting and shouting. 

It was interesting listening to a Russian telling a South American to “speak Russian damn it”. The South American turned to broken English with repeated replies of “no no no no no, Satcom, over” getting more irate with each reply.

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Supernut5072

Call Sign : KN4TFD
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Birmingham Alabama
Equipment Used : ID 52a and Diamond ext antenna

PostSubject: 253.850 greq   Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2023 9:33 pm

I came across this frequency simply hitting the scan button on my ID 52a radio along with extended Diamond antenna. 

Is it illegal as a ham operator to even listen to it? Cause it's on 1mm band packet. And is way outta my packet.

I came across 253.850 frequency. Heard the samething. I don't know if it was right at the time I did report it to the FCC.

And explained the same thing to them. I am not running anything special. Did I do the right thing on that issue.

But if anyone knows the other question. Would be very helpful
Back to top Go down
Supernut5072

Call Sign : KN4TFD
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Birmingham Alabama
Equipment Used : ID 52a and Diamond ext antenna

PostSubject: Reply   Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2023 9:35 pm

Ivy Mike wrote:
It's been going on for years.
Every so often the users are found and it ends up not funny for them.
I believe one guy in states got a $20000 fine and in Brazil they could get upto 4years inside.
It doesn't seem to stop them in Brazil as they keep at it.
 I saw a guy on YouTube with that report on the guy getting fined. He was given a mean letter. Asked to stop. Nothing went back at it.

Samething got fined. Then did it again and got fined again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?    Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone monitoring UHF Satcom Pirates?
Page 1 of 1