Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» new call sign
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 9:50 am by John H

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 8:12 am by Razz229

» Help needed
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeToday at 6:52 am by teapot

» gre 225 scanner
another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:00 pm by rabbi

Keywords
frequency yaesu sign callsign 2023 Sirio ALINCO ss9900 president meter 9900 Mckinley 6900 antenna 2022 list lincoln supply anytone Baofeng software Mobile chart power call display
QRZ Database

another idea for my situation ....

Go down 
+7
Grandpameikel
walt
Bones
Wireless
Alan Pilot
Victor
BASS 666
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BASS 666

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : belfast
Equipment Used : none yet

another idea for my situation .... Empty
PostSubject: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 9:04 pm

guys here is a photo of my flats and as you can see there is a wheelhouse on top .. that's where i would be putting  the boomerang just up above the wheelhouse .. 

the wheelhouse is about 16 to 18 foot high and there is a railing round the outside of the roof on top of a 2 to 3 foot wall .. 
my thinking is that i could put an antron on a small pole and attach it to the railing that means the antron would be hard to see as it has the wheelhouse behind it ..

question ...... does an antron transmit the signal from the top part and will the wheelhouse being behind the antron affect the outgoing signal ? i reckon i could get the top of the antron just above the wheelhouse without to much trouble ...

it would also mean i use about 24 to 26 less coax ..

another idea for my situation .... Downlo10

Grandpameikel, Des Collier, Sean f, Bones, Henning and Baldrik like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 10:07 pm

Flipping 'eck Gary, you watch yourself up there mate! Shocked

I know I wouldn't fancy hanging onto an 18 foot antenna swaying in the wind whilst trying to attach it to the guard railings of such a building!!!

You'd be amazed how many silly buggers fall off great heights trying to attach antennas to precarious positions in the pursuit of some radio DX. It's part of the reason why the Amateur Radio exam has questions on ladders and safety.

Sheesh, you've got me seriously worried about playing around up there now. Can you not keep things a bit safer and think more about attaching something to the wheelhouse? At least if it falls over and you with it you'll be in the confines of the roof space. I'm also concerned about the affects of a lightning strike now and rather than rely on good nature banter on a forum would rather have professional opinion.

Bunging a boomerang antenna up on the roof was one thing but now it's a totally different kettle of fish.

Also, what happens if your 'well placed' antenna breaks off in a wind and strikes someone innocent of radio adventures down below?

Yeah, think you've got some other things to be thinking about than just your propagation path.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer but just thinking about yours and others well being and safety.

Hopefully there's someone on the forum who can provide some qualified professional opinion. (Not just number of years as a CB'er or Ham.)

Des Collier and Baldrik like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2022 10:20 pm

Victor wrote:
Flipping 'eck Gary, you watch yourself up there mate! Shocked

I know I wouldn't fancy hanging onto an 18 foot antenna swaying in the wind whilst trying to attach it to the guard railings of such a building!!!

You'd be amazed how many silly buggers fall off great heights trying to attach antennas to precarious positions in the pursuit of some radio DX. It's part of the reason why the Amateur Radio exam has questions on ladders and safety.

Sheesh, you've got me seriously worried about playing around up there now. Can you not keep things a bit safer and think more about attaching something to the wheelhouse? At least if it falls over and you with it you'll be in the confines of the roof space. I'm also concerned about the affects of a lightning strike now and rather than rely on good nature banter on a forum would rather have professional opinion.

Bunging a boomerang antenna up on the roof was one thing but now it's a totally different kettle of fish.

Also, what happens if your 'well placed' antenna breaks off in a wind and strikes someone innocent of radio adventures down below?

Yeah, think you've got some other things to be thinking about than just your propagation path.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer but just thinking about yours and others well being and safety.

Hopefully there's someone on the forum who can provide some qualified professional opinion. (Not just number of years as a CB'er or Ham.)
ha ha don't worry about me mate i'm not daft and used to be a roofer for a few years also like i said before there is a wall round the roof and railings ... i would say back in the 80s and 90s i put most of the antennas up in the estate i live in so i'm well used to it ... 

when i had the last antron up there it was on a 16 foot pole on the wheelhouse and the base of the antron was well above the wheelhouse .. it was up there a while and i remember a storm one night with 80 mph winds and the antron was still perfect the next morning ...

i suppose i could attach it to the wheelhouse and not put it up as high and that means it is about 8 to 10 feet away from the edge ... will the wheelhouse effect the signal being as the antenna is close to it ?

Victor and Des Collier like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 5:57 am

No worries Gary, just the whole notion filled me with dread.

As for wheelhouse effect, it's full of metal so will have some influence and same goes for the steel reinforcement in the concrete of the whole block of flats. To what affect you'll probably never know without intensive measurement and it just isn't all worth it. You can stop and think about every scenario in minute detail whilst never actually erecting an antenna which is pretty pointless.

You take care with your antenna exploits mate, safety first. another idea for my situation .... 1f44d

Des Collier and BASS 666 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 8:51 am

If your intent on putting the Antron up i would get just above the wheelhouse.
Also guy it that would lesson the chance of it snapping and if it did might stop it falling of the roof.
Was just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2022 11:35 am

As regards guying, use monofilament fishing line that isn't subject to rapid degrade in sunlight, you might want to check the status of the filament every year/after Winter.

The reason for using monofilament instead of a woven plastic rope is that dirt gets in the weave and water causes the rope to add capacitance to the tune of the antenna, increasing the SWR, you'd find this happening when the rope is wet.

Also the dirt in the weave eventually causes sufficient friction over time to break the woven filaments, causing the rope to part with the antenna.

I agree that getting the antenna above the wheelhouse is preferable, but where ever you site it, you'll need to be able to tune it for best SWR, since every antenna is affected by its surroundings, every installation (as you'll know from your experience in putting up so many) is unique, its just how much of a perfectionist you are as to whether you want perfection.

Its not always worth the time and effort, but stay safe!!!

Des Collier and BASS 666 like this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:42 pm

got the brackets and pole up today so the antron will go up tomorrow .. seen a cracking incoming storm over the Mourne mountains while i was up there .. let you guys know how i got on tomorrow regarding antenna and some radio checks ...another idea for my situation .... 20220512
another idea for my situation .... 20220510
another idea for my situation .... 20220511

Des Collier likes this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:43 pm

another idea for my situation .... 20220515
another idea for my situation .... 20220513
another idea for my situation .... 20220514

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:44 pm

another idea for my situation .... 20220516
another idea for my situation .... 20220518
another idea for my situation .... 20220517

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeFri May 20, 2022 10:46 pm

another idea for my situation .... 20220519
another idea for my situation .... 20220520
another idea for my situation .... 20220521

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 7:12 am

What length pole did you get.
Will the base of the aerial clear that roof ?.
Or is that it in the picture.
Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 7:52 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
What length pole did you get.
Will the base of the aerial clear that roof ?.
Or is that it in the picture.
6 foot pole and the base of the antenna is about 8 foot from the top of the lower v ...
Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2022 7:57 pm

well it's up and running .. well happy .. the swr is perfect without tuning 1.4 ch1 1.7 ch40 on fm .. talked to a few locals on usb and heard a lot of germans and italians ..
seems to be fine and can't wait to dx for a bit but i'm very rusty and go blank when i want to speak but that will pass i hope ...

Victor, Alan Pilot, SangueG, Des Collier, Sharpshooter and Hex like this post

Back to top Go down
Bones
Bones

Call Sign : 68-CT-081
QTH or Location : Broughshane
Equipment Used : President McKinley, President Bill,CT6800V, Baofeng UV5R ,888S

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 1:48 pm

I knew I recognised that view will keep my ears on for you only in Broughshane
73s
Bones

BASS 666 likes this post

Back to top Go down
walt

Call Sign : CT2934
QTH or Location : West Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu / LCL / Midland / ICOM

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 2:59 pm

As they say - height is everything for antennas - a great location there.
Lightning risk is very real though - do you have a surge protector fitted - please tell me you do !? Smile 
E.g. https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/category/antenna-accessories/lightning-arrestors/
All best & 73's

BASS 666 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 4:16 pm

walt wrote:
Lightning risk is very real though - do you have a surge protector fitted - please tell me you do !? Smile 
E.g. https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/category/antenna-accessories/lightning-arrestors/
All best & 73's
to be very truthful with you i have never heard of them ... if you can point me to a good one i will buy it ... i do take the coax out of the radio if the conditions are a bit sus ....

thank you for the heads up and if i buy one will it mess with the swr ?

walt likes this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Bones wrote:
I knew I recognised that view will keep my ears on for you only in Broughshane  
73s
Bones
go through your neck of the woods all the time on the bike ...
Back to top Go down
walt

Call Sign : CT2934
QTH or Location : West Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu / LCL / Midland / ICOM

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 5:16 pm

BASS 666 wrote:
walt wrote:
All best & 73's
to be very truthful with you i have never heard of them ... if you can point me to a good one i will buy it ... i do take the coax out of the radio if the conditions are a bit sus ....

This should do you fine
Link here: https://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessories-lightning-arresters-surge-protection/diamond/diamond-sp-1000-pd-4897.php
- not sure how much power you are running - this one will handle up to 400W. Insertion loss is negligible and you shouldn't notice any increase in SWR. Give it a good earth strap and it'll save your life, and your rig, and a fire!
Catch you on the air I hope Smile
73s
Link here: https://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessories-lightning-arresters-surge-protection/diamond/diamond-sp-1000-pd-4897.php

BASS 666 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2022 5:36 pm

walt wrote:
BASS 666 wrote:
walt wrote:
All best & 73's

This should do you fine
- not sure how much power you are running - this one will handle up to 400W. Insertion loss is negligible and you shouldn't notice any increase in SWR. Give it a good earth strap and it'll save your life, and your rig, and a fire!
Catch you on the air I hope Smile
73s

thank you ...

walt likes this post

Back to top Go down
Grandpameikel

Call Sign : 13 CT 609
QTH or Location : 52477 Alsdorf , Im Bruehl 103,Germany
Equipment Used : Pres. Lincoln 1, Sirio 5/8,Pres.Jack 2 Classic

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 7:15 am

Please think about Thunderstorms an LIGHTNINGS Greetings 13ct609
Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 10:21 am

Hi Gary all I can say is that you are much braver than me, hope it all goes to plan or we all could loose a good  member of  our group. Good luck but please be as safe as you can.
Teapot

BASS 666 and Baldrik like this post

Back to top Go down
BASS 666

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 3:46 pm

teapot wrote:
Hi Gary all I can say is that you are much braver than me, hope it all goes to plan or we all could loose a good  member of  our group. Good luck but please be as safe as you can.
Teapot
thanks mate .. all done and dusted anyway and on the air.. i just have to get the lightning arrester and that's me sorted ...

walt likes this post

Back to top Go down
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 3:55 pm

Well done you.

BASS 666 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 6:05 pm

Nice one Gary.
I haven't been on as I lost one of my dogs two week ago, Sad
Also left my new radio and twig up at the caravan.
Great position you have there. Handy being an ex roofer, mind I was scaffolding for a few years and I'm shìt scared of heights Very Happy

Hopefully get out to you when I'm sorted.
Not sure if Belfast to North Wales is achievable conditions ?

I'm thinking of the great orme Llandudno as a spot when away and also there's Pentre Halkyn way, high up nearer home.

BASS 666 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Des Collier

Call Sign : 26-CT-4194
QTH or Location : Scunthorpe,North Lincolnsire UK
Equipment Used : President Grant 2,Stalker XX Homebase

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 9:06 pm

BASS 666 wrote:
well it's up and running .. well happy .. the swr is perfect without tuning 1.4 ch1 1.7 ch40 on fm .. talked to a few locals on usb and heard a lot of germans and italians ..
seems to be fine and can't wait to dx for a bit but i'm very rusty and go blank when i want to speak but that will pass i hope ...
Best of luck buddy,braver man than me to go up there!!

BASS 666 and Baldrik like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another idea for my situation ....   another idea for my situation .... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another idea for my situation ....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next