Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by Lynton

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:59 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 10:41 am by John123

» New call sign request (Issued)
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

Keywords
6900 anytone lincoln frequency Mckinley chart list Baofeng 2022 callsign call supply software ss9900 2023 ALINCO antenna president 9900 Sirio meter display yaesu power Mobile sign
QRZ Database

WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest

Go down 
+2
Wireless
Victor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Empty
PostSubject: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 3:57 pm

Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and enjoying your radio no matter what it may be. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d 

Judging by some of the past comments on this forum as well as many others it seems "digital modes" are not everyone's cup-of-tea. Wink

However the IARU (International Amateur Radio Union), specifically Region 1 have long recognised the fact that clarity and even expansion of frequency use should be accommodated for these very popular modes. They are after all working in the interests of ALL radio amateurs no matter their chosen fields which can only be commended.

Full details including proposed band plan changes can be found at the IARU website :-

https://interim.iaru-r1.org/interim-meeting/documents-2/hf-c4/

The RSGB also posted up details including how to give feedback :-

https://rsgb.org/main/rsgb-consultations/iaru-consultations/

(As ever the feedback provided thus far is....well, go judge for yourself.)

I do believe they covered the story in the June edition of RADCOM too, but unless you're a member & subscriber to such 'facilities' you'd have missed that.

The IARU will also be discussing matters of bandplan 'swamping' by incessant 'competitions' which might well quell the enthusiastic fans of 'voice' modes. Nothing worse than being unable to exchange weather reports, Worked All Britain squares, discussing your latest medical ailment or changing audio settings on your 7300 if constantly interrupted by "CQ Competition" or "5/9 QRZ" is there?

Joking aside, it's great that we have such organisations who are working for the better and good of ALL users of the licenced Amateur Radio system.

Long may it be so.

Me?

Well I've just got back into digital modes after an initial false start a while back and must say I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I'd maybe enjoy it more if there was any space left on the waterfall so that I don't get constantly stomped on by all those big beam, big power old boys. (Luckily my multiband doublet is working well so I can fly up and down the band to other frequencies and modes at will. Wink ) So I think that it's a great idea that they are addressing such issues.

Amateur Radio - Many fields of interest diverse enough to wet anyone's appetite.

I've lit the touch paper now so shall await the predicted fireworks especially enjoying the circular Catherine wheels, the big explosive rockets and the inevitable seem to go off forever Roman candles. Let's hope not, eh?

All provided in the interest of information, subject material and dare I say it, sensible discussion.

My very best to all of you no matter your standing or fields of interest in pursuit of radio happiness. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d 

Regards,
Victor

Alan Pilot, SangueG and Wireless like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Wireless
Major contributor
Major contributor

Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury
Equipment Used : kit

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Well, I have DX Labs CIV Commander (freeware) and a copy of Multi PSK, which does a lot more than just PSK, and ION2G for ALE/SELCall, so I'm going to be doing that, I actually prefer digital modes, funnily enough

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 5:06 am

Have tried most things in amateur radio.
Once I tried the latest digital stuff I was hooked.
To actually make contacts with stations that we cannot hear was an eye opener.
Plus side I don't have to shout myself silly and still make no contacts.

Regards the waterfall and space, keep checking it and move if a strong signal appears
in your tx period. Sometimes this happens to me and I appear to loose the dx I'm working.
I shift to the clearest spot and normally finish the contact.
Contrary to what some people say it's not just set and forget.

Sydthecat and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 5:46 am

Well put Mike and some great tips. Thanks. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d 

I have to agree that spending some time trying to break a pile up on SSB does take it out on your voice as well as your will to live at times! Wink
I'm glad that I returned to give it another go because I am thoroughly enjoying myself now, learning the 'ropes' and great to get some log entries in.

As you rightly point out there's a lot more radio work to it than imagined, propagation conditions etc. all come in to play and often the 'stomping' is innocently due to such things. It's often advised to stay put on one frequency but moving around that waterfall does help let alone swapping your TX from even to odd. Definitely not as you say a 'set and forget' automated process that others imply. (Whom obviously haven't used such modes.)

I'm sure that if I can run FT8/FT4 on my 40 odd year old FT757 twiddling those knobs then anyone can give it a go. The oft quoted atomic-clock-precision timing and frequency accuracy is a bit of a misnomer thanks to the genius of the creators of these modes. Plus or minus one second timing is not that hard to achieve and you only have to spin that dial slightly off frequency to find you can still decode and transmit on your waterfall.

It's no wonder it has become a popular mode and I'm glad to see the IARU addressing it.

Always impressed and pleased to hear of your 'digital' contacts Mike, something that gives me a push with mine. 
You can imagine my thrill whilst scanning through the bands/modes the other morning to bag 4U1A on 30m FT4 out of the blue. Smile

All the best,
Victor

Last edited by Victor on Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Why have we got an American spelling autocorrect? Gah!!)

Sydthecat and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 8:49 am

FT4/8
JTDX
I set my Tx/Rx at 1500Hz ad it does ok for me i did swap it about wen i first started but not now.
As you do Victor i change time on the hour and half past lol but that is it.
When you first tried it was what got me into it ft4/8 that is Victor.
Also  got into DMR but don't use that much now but do have a listen occasionally.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 9:39 am

That's it Alan, blame me for your radio shenanigans! Very Happy

I'm afraid my DMR foray was given up after being constantly keyed off the local 2m digital repeater and haven't got around to thinking about a hotspot. But at least I gave it a go. Wink

You seem to do rather well with your FT4/FT8 though Alan and always been impressed with your log entries. Was really thrilling to catch you on the bands too and get you in my log book. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d

It's early doors for me yet but my old Yaesu, 10 watts and electric lawnmower lead antenna in the loft has bagged a couple of hundred contacts and 40 countries so far. Can't be bad and thoroughly enjoying myself mate. (Miles off from most of you lot though!)

Always really great that we can provide influence, information and ably assist each other to achieve some enjoyable radio via positivity.

Much better than the madman screaming out that they hate Marmite in the supermarket aisles. Wink

We really do need more postings that encompass multiple interests and I'm glad to have made this one as everyone's input has been great. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 11:31 am

Got 2 hotspot's (raspberry pi) one for DMR and another for YSF.
In fact i have 3 another one was for portable DMR and linked to my iPhone but only used it once last year in Blackpool. 
What i did find with DMR was the silent overs and the pop's and squealing if you know what i am saying they put me off somewhat but i do still have the hotspots running 24/7 in case it takes my fancy lol.

Victor and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 7:27 pm

It's still not for me.. at the moment. As I've said before, I use computers enough as it is, all day at work and often at home, so I find a short time at the radio in another room good to get a break from them. Maybe I fear getting "hooked" too.

It's good to hear that so many people are getting from the digital modes though. Not just here, but in many places I have read of people's enjoyment using. There was a nice little article in a mag recently by a nearby ham that put another slant on why it can be good for some hams. I'd like to post it here, but can't really for copyright reasons, but in short it was to do with someone having autism and mic shyness. I'll ping it over to you privately Victor as it's your thread and may be interested.

Great to see you got 4U1A in the logbook Victor. I've logged a QSO with that one too... but not on 30m strangely enough, and nor will I unless I dip my toe Laughing

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi Neal,

I can understand completely and my first foray into FT8 left me feeling a little underwhelmed but I'm so glad I gave it another go. Now I scan the bands, check the waterfalls and PSK reports then rather than simply clicking the big signals I hunt for the weaker stations often requiring several passes before bagging that final 73. Yep, I'm hooked and find it all quite rewarding. Smile

Thank you so much for the article it was a pleasure to read and would've been lovely to share with all.
I can't believe he was held back for 10 years despite his best efforts to overcome his inability to talk into that microphone. I'm sure that happens to many and maybe not even a temporary feeling you simply overcome but quite probably a severe hindrance for some.

I've got to say that I feel digital modes such as FT4/FT8 provide a more level playing field for many to enjoy the experience of amateur radio. Not only examples just as mentioned but also breaking language barriers and the fact that the software is cross platform so can be run on even basic hardware. (I've seen WSJT-X run on Raspberry Pi units and even Linux installed older notebooks!)

There's also the fact that even with older or basic transceivers and simple antennas (myself very much included) there is the opportunity to work further afield than you could normally accomplish without breaking the credit card or p*ssing away your retirement fund to achieve some appreciable radio DX with expensive equipment.

Of course we could have all held ourselves back with basic self built transceivers bashing away at a Morse key but luckily Amateur Radio evolved to encompass far more than anyone could've possibly imagined.

It's still evolving and thankfully supported by the likes of the IARU to ensure Amateur Radio will always have a place and provide simple enjoyment for many.

Yes, recognised the United Nations call straight away and managed to bag it before the inevitable pile-up that ensued soon after with everyone scrabbling to call it. Well chuffed with that one. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d 

Not as excited I must admit though as the day I saw MW7TTA flash up the screen and screamed "That's Alan!" (Alan Pilot) and even though he wasn't calling CQ I managed to grab him by calling direct. Was really good to get him in the log book after several failed attempts at other modes. Smile

Very much appreciate your input to the discussion there Neal and once again thanks for the article.

All the very best,
Victor

Alan Pilot and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 6:08 am

Just put 4U1A in my qrz log and low and behold i had that one in there.
2002-12-27 11.39 14.206 SSB.
Didn't notice at the time who it was lol.
Back to the subject.
I am a little like you Victor i will fire up on a band with nothing going on and many a time i will get 1 or 2 contacts sounds daft but i get a bit of a buzz with that contact.
We will get that voice contact one day Victor.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 am

Great stuff Alan mate. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d 

That's at least a different mode contact, probably was a different operator and I know I don't mind working a station multiple times. Smile

I agree with you that jumping around the digital mode bands can be a lot of fun. Often if 20m FT8 is wall to wall with no space to jump in I'll twiddle that dial up to 14.080 and sling out a bit of FT4 with some success. Always like to check  17/15/12/10 as well even if the bands aren't open and chance my luck which amazingly can bring in a contact or two. (Barely see the waterfall trace or even hear them!)

Despite my 44 foot doublet being a bit short for 40m I can load it to 80m as well and still bag some contacts which is fun. Working the same call sign operators/stations on different bands has become a bit of a thing for me as well and good to see in the log.

I shall be dragging myself away from digital modes tonight and having a bash at SSB with Craig's (Sydthecat) CT 40m net.

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4524-ct-40m-net#35848

Be nice to see if I can catch some fellow Charlie Tangos and put voices to names for a change.

I'm sure we shall catch each other on voice modes one of these days Alan......and I'll be as pleased as punch as I was with our FT8 one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 3:38 pm

Might hang around in the shack and see if i can hear the net.
Not sure if my endfed will be up to the job but you never know.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 4:45 pm

You never know Alan, I heard you clear enough 5/8 my end when you got the GB100BBC contact. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d

Here's hoping I at least catch someone. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 5:53 pm

The best thing about digital modes is that a very modest station with low power and a suspect antenna can yield good results.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2022 6:31 pm

Or "glass half full".....

...an awesome QRP station with a well constructed homebrew antenna! Wink

Hee! I know what you mean Mike but in the opposite vein some high powered station was splattering all over 40m today on every transmission. Sometimes "all the gear" doesn't herald great results.

So long as everyone enjoys themselves it's all good in my book. WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest   WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WSJT-X Digital Mode Users - This may be of interest
Page 1 of 1