Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» New call sign request (Issued)
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by John123

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 15m
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2024 4:50 pm by glenn dog

Keywords
call president 2023 2022 lincoln frequency 9900 anytone Mobile callsign antenna software yaesu chart Sirio Mckinley meter sign Baofeng supply ss9900 list ALINCO display power 6900
QRZ Database

My Recent Radio Journey

Go down 
+7
GaryWilson
Sydthecat
SangueG
Alan Pilot
Victor
MikeInCzechRep
Tonyvic
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

radio - My Recent Radio Journey Empty
PostSubject: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 3:34 pm

This may encourage others to bite the bullet and make radio more enjoyable than CB/PMR446 alone. I'm not so great at typing my thoughts as some on here but here goes.

18 months ago I came back to CB after a 20 plus year break and purchased a CRT SS6900 which although a great radio for the money was not good for me due to the QRM at my QTH. I discovered a forgotten President Madison which had been in the loft for at least 15 years but alas it had hum problems.
So I purchased a used Yaesu 450at as members on CTDX have stated the export type radios are prone to noise whereas Amateur HF radios have much better filtering, and voila S1-2 QRM maximum I was/am well happy.

Now the next part of my radio journey, apart from the Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net my enjoyment on 11M is lacking of what I would like which is partly due to the many *%^$£*+ breakers in my county with a number openly boasting up to 1000W burners and knocking out my RX/TX (yes, I know there are some gooduns) along with many hours each day of garbage and swearing etc. on Ch19 UK and on CEPT frequencies DXing is difficult due to the high power/bleedover from the kW stations. Sad

In a previous thread 
Victor wrote:
I know what you mean with ass-hole 'breakers' on CB Tony after experiencing it myself when I first came back to it all.

Got to thank them really in the end.....it's part of what pushed me into getting a Ham licence and I've never had so
much radio fun! Very noisy on SSB
A seed had been sown which germinated after a few months and I decided to study for the Foundation Course with Essex Ham. I did originaly plan to sit the RAE nearly a quarter of a century ago but life got in the way.

The last part of this story:
10th Aug - I registered for the course which was due to start on 4th Sept, but by the 23rd couldn't wait another couple of months to finish the course and take the exam so booked with RSGB to take it online on 5th Sept. My thinking was I know Ohms Law as my background was in electronics although not radio related and my old brain still works to a small degree so why go through the torture of studying for hours when I know the basics.

If anyone is still reading my rambling, the end is near.
I passed on the 5th Sept., disappointingly only just. Certificate arrived on Sat 10th Sept and registerd my callsign with Ofcom Sun 11th.

I am now a HAM! Very Happy bounce cheers I guess the hard work starts now, HF/VHF antennas etc.

A special thanks to Victor for the number of times he has prompted new/long time members to get the ticket, which has pushed me to acheiving something I thought I would never do. Also to other members who have posted their experiences of getting licenced and the fun they now have.

Cheers and 73
Tony
26CT4013 and M7DVQ

GaryWilson, Razz229, Victor, Alan Pilot, Ivy Mike, Uncle P, John Patrick and like this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

Call Sign : 329-CT-007 G7SWR
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prague.
Equipment Used : Stalker 9FDX, York JCB863 ADI AT-200

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 3:59 pm

Well done sir. And congratulations on passing and becoming a licenced radio amateur

GaryWilson, Razz229, Victor, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Many congratulations to you there Tony!!  radio - My Recent Radio Journey 1f44f

Very well done with your Foundation pass, I'm extremely thrilled for you as I'm sure you are yourself.

If any of us at Charlie Tango were any influence whatsoever then the community spirit surrounding the radio interest here is playing it's part immensely.

I have always been often overjoyed at reading about others adventures in the radio hobby and none more so than when someone announces that they've obtained their Amateur Radio licence.

It's all go from here Tony - you'll now be able to enjoy those extra bands and frequencies on your more than capable FT450 and it won't be long before you're stringing up bits of wire and antennas to access them.

Again, many congratulations and I look forward to the possible opportunity of being able to work you on the bands. (I see you're already on QRZ! Smile )

Awesome stuff, awesome news and I hope you have an awesome time with it all!

All the very best to you,
Victor

GaryWilson, Razz229, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 6:49 pm

Fantastic news Tony.
I did the RAE in 92 or 3 but divorce got in the way and she burned i think my paperwork along the rest of my belongings and i hadn't got my call.
Fast forward to 2 years ago and try as i may i couldn't get a call had all the info but not the paper so no way.
Gave up then.
Then i am on here and along comes our Victor and a few kicks up the bum from him and i took the test big big thanks M7VIC from MW7TTA.
So Tony this forum has helped many and we are all grateful to each other ???.
Enjoy radio now Tony and again well done.

GaryWilson, Razz229, Victor, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 6:55 pm

Awesome Tony, well done!

Razz229, Victor, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Nice one Tony and many congrats 

Sounds like a very familiar journey lol 

Craig

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 9:45 pm

Congratulations Tony, well done!!!

I hope to work you on the bands!!

73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2022 11:28 pm

Congratulations Tony, I've enrolled for a foundation course run by Essex Ham.
Fingers crossed it won't be too long before I can take the test (and hopefully pass) and gain my Amateur Radio Licence.

All the best
Derek

Razz229, Victor, SangueG, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
John Patrick
John Patrick

Call Sign : 26-CT-4515
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : Brighton
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV5R - Midland 2001- President Mc Kinley & President Randy III, GT-3TP

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 7:36 am

Hi Tony 

Congratulations Tony . Look forward to hearing your contacts further a field on the other bands.

Well Done .

Regards John 

26CT4515

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2022 11:29 am

Thank you guys, and a special thanks to the team who run this great website. radio - My Recent Radio Journey 1f44c 
Victor wrote:
it won't be long before you're stringing up bits of wire and antennas to access them. (I see you're already on QRZ! Smile )
Yep that will be the hardest part for me as the old body doesn't work as well as it should. As for QRZ I thought I would get some of the basics done this week, then next week get onto "bits of wire".

Alan Pilot wrote:
divorce got in the way
That was my reason for not going for it at the time as well! Ex partners, you've gotta love 'em.....NO Evil or Very Mad

DerekF wrote:
I've enrolled for a foundation course run by Essex Ham.
Fingers crossed it won't be too long before I can take the test (and hopefully pass) and gain my Amateur Radio Licence.
Best of luck Derek I hope it goes well for you, I will watch out for your report maybe Dec/Jan time. Cool
GaryWilson wrote:
I hope to work you on the bands!!
As you mentioned elsewhere the 40M Sunday net, I will hopefully set up a long wire for that.

Thanks again to all, I really appreciate the messages.

73 Tony

GaryWilson, Razz229, Victor, Alan Pilot, SangueG, John Patrick and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 9:23 pm

Well done Tony and congratulations on your pass.

What's it like having a M callsign and will the good lady like more antennas in the garden or on the roof?

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 11:55 pm

Razz229 wrote:
Well done Tony and congratulations on your pass.

What's it like having a M callsign and will the good lady like more antennas in the garden or on the roof?
Thanks Ray, did you have to put it in bold red lettering. lol!

Which "good lady" are you refering to? If you mean 'er indoors she glares at me whenever she hears that word. Mad  
I wound her up today by saying that I am going to make a 2M/70cm antenna and test it this week.
What I didn't explain was it will only be made out of two wire coat hangers and go in the loft. Twisted Evil Laughing

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2022 6:32 am

2M/70CM aerial was the first one i made.
Got 2 welding rods the type used for gas welding and a bit of roof batten.
Cut them allowing for a bend at the bottom and bolted them to the wood.
Second nut to hold the terminals on and it worked a treat lol.
Think it is still about somewhere behind the old shack.
The fun has started Tony enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2022 11:40 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
2M/70CM aerial was the first one i made.
Got 2 welding rods the type used for gas welding and a bit of roof batten.
Cut them allowing for a bend at the bottom and bolted them to the wood.
Second nut to hold the terminals on and it worked a treat lol.
Think it is still about somewhere behind the old shack.
The fun has started Tony enjoy.
The fun sure has started Alan, shortly to be followed by a battleground or another divorce! Laughing
The battle will begin when the parcels start arriving eg. SWR meter, decent cable, and of course a 2M/70cm radio, along with any other goodies I need/spot online. I will keep the space-u you sent just for pmr446, which will make life easier. Cool

I hope my first attempt will be as successful as yours, will update in due course.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2022 2:35 pm

That Space-u worked well on 70cm.
That was where i tested it with a m8 some 28 to 30 miles away and it lit up all the led's on his radio.
Shame it didn't have 2m on it would fit in the ashtray in my car lol.
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2022 6:08 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
That Space-u worked well on 70cm.
That was where i tested it with a m8 some 28 to 30 miles away and it lit up all the led's on his radio.
Shame it didn't have 2m on it would fit in the ashtray in my car lol.
I don't doubt it Alan, I have listened around the 70cm band and it's receiving well but haven't keyed up yet as it's only on the 466 antenna.
Thats another reason I am going to get a dual band radio for ham use only, with the coathangers.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 7:27 am

Tony, not sure what antenna you've got for PMR, but it should be fine for 70cm. A lot of people use 70cm antennas for PMR. I wouldn't get hung up on SWR, especially if just pushing out low power. It won't be perfect on both bands but it will be useable. I'd give it a go, you might be surprised at the results.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 7:36 am

Neal
I know what Tony is going to say lol.
We don't know what the aerial is.
It is a short thing and 466 written on it with a black marker pen.
I tested the radio out on my dual bander on 70cm.
But like you say i would give it a go but that's me lol.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 11:02 am

SangueG wrote:
Tony, not sure what antenna you've got for PMR, but it should be fine for 70cm. A lot of people use 70cm antennas for PMR. I wouldn't get hung up on SWR, especially if just pushing out low power. It won't be perfect on both bands but it will be useable. I'd give it a go, you might be surprised at the results.
Neal I would be more surprised if the radio started smoking at such a young age. lol!
I was caught many years ago with a CB radio and not checking swr, once bitten.................

As Alan said,
Alan Pilot wrote:
We don't know what the aerial is.
It is a short thing and 466 written on it with a black marker pen.

I have now ordered a VHF/UHF swr/power meter, to check the unknown antenna and my coathangers. Cool
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 1:38 pm

Well done Tony and welcome to Amateur Radio.

May be we catch each other I'm not far from Brighton.

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Tony a word of warning.
Don't add up what you spend on radio from now on.
2 Reasons why.
1 You might cry.
2 You might talk in your sleep and the wife might find out and that could be scary lol.
My station commander Linda gave up asking and just shouts me in "parcel".
All good fun so say nothing.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2022 3:56 pm

Ivy Mike wrote:
Well done Tony and welcome to Amateur Radio.

May be we catch each other I'm not far from Brighton.
Many thanks Mike, would be good to catch you at some point. Might take a while I have spent about 6 hours so far just trying to understsnd the Space-U user manual. Embarassed
Next step is an HF antenna for the better stuff. Cool 

I spotted where you live, just a stones throw from Michael at Option Energy!
ps. Love your antenna farm and shack. Smile

Alan, thanks for the warning but she has already noticed the transactions on our joint account and I've only just started. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tonyvic on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Ivy Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 10:33 am

No worries Tony, fully understand your reasoning for not wanting to just give it a go without doing checks. I'd be upset to lose a radio's finals too. That said, I have never burnt one out ever even by doing crazy things as an inexperienced young person like trying to run a rig off a model train power pack with a bit a of wire stuck in the antenna port held in with bluetak. I guess I have just been lucky.

Do let know what SWR meter you've bought and how you get on with it. I should really look at getting one at some point for UHF. I've repurposed an old CB one which gives general ballpark indications for VHF, but totally not usable for UHF. For 70cm I am just measuring and stick bits of wire up and it just works Smile

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 7:17 pm

SangueG wrote:
Do let know what SWR meter you've bought and how you get on with it. I should really look at getting one at some point for UHF. I've repurposed an old CB one which gives general ballpark indications for VHF, but totally not usable for UHF. For 70cm I am just measuring and stick bits of wire up and it just works Smile
It arrived this afternoon and is This one, it's not compatible with digital but I havent got that anyway.
No VHF radio yet but it seems good on UHF, checked on 430 & 440MHz - 1.3 max and on 446 Ch1 is 1.2 and Ch16 is 1,0 on the unknown 446 antenna.
Assuming it's somewhere near accurate, I'm a happy bunny so far! Cool

Coathangers not operational yet. lol!
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 6:38 am

Is that 430-440 on your home made of the unknown antenna.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Recent Radio Journey   radio - My Recent Radio Journey Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Recent Radio Journey
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next