Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request (Issued)
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

» New callsing request
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 1:05 pm by Miliko

» SSTV v Contest Stations
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 10:59 am by MM0IMC

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign..
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 7:29 am by iherup888

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Mind blown Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 am by Sydthecat

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington
Mind blown Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by Tarot

» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
Mind blown Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:06 pm by John123

Keywords
software president lincoln Sirio display 2023 callsign supply Mckinley list 6900 meter chart ss9900 2022 yaesu antenna ALINCO call frequency 9900 power sign anytone Mobile Baofeng
QRZ Database

Mind blown

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 8:20 pm

My interest in radio started about 18 months ago when I got an old CB radio and an antenna and started to have a play about with it. 

Since then I have acquired another 3 CBs (the bug has set in). I've tried local contacts "1-9 for a Roger" whilst mobile and had some reasonable success. I've also tried dx'ing with an inverted v dipole in the loft - with no success even after watching the propagation like a hawk for days on end.
I have also tried my CB on a 9m telescopic pole and T2LT and still no contacts - all this done straight out of the radio (legal 4w). 

Since then I've tried the PMR net from my QTH and with various standard 0.5w 'walkie talkies' - MIND BLOWN!! I have never made contact on CB from my QTH however I've had several PMR contacts ranging from 13 to 23 miles all whilst stood inside my loft!! How is this possible? 

I really would have thought the CB would be the most effective but my own personal experiences have proven the opposite!

Tony - 26CT4488
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 9:42 pm

I'd give the CB some more tries over the coming months as Sporadic E season will be upon us again soon. I've had great success with an inverted V in the loft, but what works well for one person isn't always the best for someone else. Maybe try a 1/4 wave ground plane.. it wasn't the best setup for me, but it might be for you, and easy to make one up out of wire in the loft.

I'm with you on the PMR activity though. Like you, I found more local things to listen to on it than CB. Also like you, I spent some time in my loft using it and also on the 70cm ham band, which as you may well know is very close to the PMR frequencies, and because my little HT did so well from the loft I set up a more permanent solution to transmit from there on those frequencies. I've found it quite surprising how far a very small amount of power at UHF will travel from the loft. Keep a check on the tropo conditions, your 13 to 23 miles range could increase to 5x that... honestly, that will blow your mind Wink

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 11:13 pm

With you saying "legal 4w" I would guess you do not have an ssb capable radio.
The main thing is Solar Cycle 25 is well under way so you not not getting contacts is baffling.
What does your radio(s) cover, frequencies and modes?

As for PMR446, I've not been on that but as a radio amateur, I've had fun on 70cms (432MHz).
When there is a tropo lift on, I've had chats into Germany quite often.
The main thing is not range, but what's in the way when that band is flat

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 6:29 am

SangueG wrote:
I'd give the CB some more tries over the coming months as Sporadic E season will be upon us again soon. I've had great success with an inverted V in the loft, but what works well for one person isn't always the best for someone else. Maybe try a 1/4 wave ground plane.. it wasn't the best setup for me, but it might be for you, and easy to make one up out of wire in the loft.

I'm with you on the PMR activity though. Like you, I found more local things to listen to on it than CB. Also like you, I spent some time in my loft using it and also on the 70cm ham band, which as you may well know is very close to the PMR frequencies, and because my little HT did so well from the loft I set up a more permanent solution to transmit from there on those frequencies. I've found it quite surprising how far a very small amount of power at UHF will travel from the loft. Keep a check on the tropo conditions, your 13 to 23 miles range could increase to 5x that... honestly, that will blow your mind Wink

As you say I probably just need to stick at it. I might just have enough room to try the dipole as a flat top or horizontal so may see if that makes a difference and may help get the swr down a little. Currently I am getting 1.5-1.9 on the Mids and upto 2.1 on UK40. I have got an old galvanised water tank up in the loft which I want to use as a GP with a 3/8 mount for an old modulator antenna and see how that goes. 

As for PMR I am really impressed with what can be achieved with them. I would like to do my foundation licence when I get the time and then can do some 70cm/2m work too. 

Itching to make a long distance DX too so will keep trying with the CB for the time being. I have been tempted to use a burner but not sure whether it is worth it and would rather stick to just the radio if possible. 

Tony - 26CT4488
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 6:34 am

BigTone wrote:
With you saying "legal 4w" I would guess you do not have an ssb capable radio.
The main thing is Solar Cycle 25 is well under way so you not not getting contacts is baffling.
What does your radio(s) cover, frequencies and modes?

As for PMR446, I've not been on that but as a radio amateur, I've had fun on 70cms (432MHz).
When there is a tropo lift on, I've had chats into Germany quite often.
The main thing is not range, but what's in the way when that band is flat
Correct - I have only FM/AM rigs (Mids and UK40) and nothing SSB. I find the Mids get lively when the propagation is up - I try calling but am not getting contacts or heard. As mentioned above, I might try the dipole horizontal and see whether it makes a difference. 

I would like to do my foundation licence as I am really impressed with UHF/VHF for local Comms. In my area CB when no propagation is very quiet - only really channel 19 occasionally heard on ground wave - plenty to listen too on the mid block when the propagation is up. 

Many thanks

Tony - 26CT4488
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a CRT Space U, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 9:34 pm

This is what happens when you get some tropo on PMR

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mind blown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mind blown   Mind blown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mind blown
Page 1 of 1