Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeToday at 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeToday at 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeToday at 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeToday at 4:21 pm by Lynton

» CT Call Sign Request - Accrington (Issued)
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeToday at 10:41 am by John123

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 pm by John H

» New call sign request (Issued)
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:00 pm by spod

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 pm by Nightprowler

» EU conditions have started
Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:18 pm by babis3g

Keywords
call antenna lincoln callsign Baofeng chart list sign frequency ALINCO supply power Mckinley president anytone software 2022 Sirio 2023 meter Mobile display yaesu ss9900 9900 6900
QRZ Database

Homebrew Headset/Mic

Go down 
+3
skyrider
Alan Pilot
Victor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Homebrew Headset/Mic Empty
PostSubject: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 9:41 am

I know, I just can't seem to let this sort of stuff go but I do like playing with an odd project or two. Wink

Spurred on by activities usually instigated by others here (you Charlie Tango's are a very fine lot Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d ) I decided to extend my SSB capabilities somewhat.
You never know, it might help me garner a few points in the 10m Summer Challenge 2023 with my QRP limits.

I've already made some modifications to my ancient Yaesu FT757gx including a diode clipper mod in the SSB RF section as well as separated the 'MIC/DRIVE' control so that it works in SSB modes also. However, I've never been totally satisfied with the performance of the equally ancient MH-10ES fist mic that came with it, reports range from "good but quiet" to "sounds awful and muddy". Others personal views can be somewhat different from our own but experiments with hooking another receiver up to my laptop and actually viewing my SSB spectrum shows that it is actually lacking in the mid range of the audio spectrum.

The Yaesu utilises a dynamic microphone element but I knew that I could electrically bias an electret element to make it work with it. The first attempt at doing so gave a very 'tinny' or high frequency response so I began a search for answers. (Of which there are apparently many and usually by being parted with wads of cash!)

It was then that I came across the exemplary work of Martin G8JNJ.

He wrote an article for RADCOM a few years back but thankfully shares it on his website :-

https://g8jnj.webs.com/speechintelligibility.htm

(Scroll down the page to the links for his articles.)

I proceeded to scrounge the parts required from my parts bins and came up with my own layout/rendition :-

Homebrew Headset/Mic Ssb_mi10

Managed quite well with my old bear paws and found the 'secret' to my eyesight problems.....add more light!!

I squeezed in another trimmer potentiometer so that I could parallel switch that into circuit giving a lower value and hence higher frequency response. Fuller audio spectrum for 'local' contacts and then high frequency response to hopefully break through with DX contacts.

Oh, go on then....proud my fat old fingers managed so well here's another shot of the board. Smile

Homebrew Headset/Mic Ssb_mi11

Yeah, my parts bins are so old I do have many BC109C's in them! (Not sold on for a rip-off prices for 'boutique' guitar pedals....I'll never be a businessman.)
Any modern general purpose NPN will do the job.

The important part would be the headset/mic equipment to tack onto this little circuit and your choices vary.

You can go the full hog of an expensive new headset, buy some cheaper 'gaming' headsets or do what I did and scrounge some that are no longer used. My wife did some 'test-and-trace' work for the NHS back during the pandemic and had a headset that has since languished in a drawer doing nothing.....so I nicked them!

The damn things were a USB style set rather a separate plugged headphone/microphone affair so I had to do some rewiring. Out with the light and 'best-est' glasses again! (Luckily I was able to re-utilise the 'mute' switch to become the PTT or push-to-talk switch. Flipping handy.)

An old project box, some suitably wired cables and voilà we come up with this :-

Homebrew Headset/Mic Headse10

The yellow phono cable means I can power the circuit and mic element from the 8 volt accessory port on the back of my old Yaesu. I think I now have every socket on the old girl used up now!

The thinner headset is actually a revelation in that the audio from the headphones is superb and unlike the 'big-old-cans' type I was using before my ears are more comfortable plus I can swap glasses whilst keeping them on. (I have three sets of spectacles, screen viewing, writing and a stronger pair for fiddly jobs like wiring mic plugs!)

The mic is easily adjusted, stays in place, sounds great and whenever I move my head the mic comes with me. Wink

I can easily unplug the phones from the radio when I want to listen through my Big Speaker and just have to remember to unplug the mic when I'm doing some FT8 on my homebrew audio interface. (That might be another project winging its way out of necessity....a switching rack!)

Should do the job and seems to play nice judging by my other receiver recordings and from what Ive picked up on the web and Kiwi SDR's.

It's not a "Heil" but then it cost me next to b*gger all either. Right up this old cripples price range.

Plus I do enjoy a project and Amateur Radio presents many examples where you can fulfil such desires.

Enjoy your radio, no matter what it may be. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot, SangueG, Tonyvic, Ace, DerekF and skyrider like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 10:39 am

Nice one Victor.
I wish i had the ability to do stuff like that.
Well the patience anyway and maybe the room in the shack lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 am

Cheers Alan mate. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

The new big desk and wireless keyboard helps give me the space I need for such fun.
(Was a right royal mess whilst building it with notes of cable colours and components abound!!)

Guess what I found whilst digging through the sheds on the nice sunny day yesterday?

....a partial 50m reel of three core mains cable!

Completely forgot I had that too so now I've got to grab a 'volunteer' to rig me up some more antenna wire.
My microphone shenanigans may have to wait a little while. Wink

(Teresa is gonna kill me! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am

LOL
T is going up there again ???.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 1:27 pm

Well done Victor a nice new toy  Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 1:41 pm

Another great write up Victor and very tidily put together. You really do have great electronic constructional talent. Love the clear photos again which will help others if they want to follow in your footpath with a similar project.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 3:10 pm

Cheers Lionel. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

Thanks Neil mate. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

(I wish I could design the damn circuitry in the first place. Wink )
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 4:54 am

Good stuff mate.  Reminds me, I must get round to fitting the pre-amp board in my spare (Chinese copy) FT-817 mic.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 5:35 am

Cheers Jeff. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

Was a lot of of fun putting it together and pleased with the results so far. 

Is your preamp board one of the units that has a speech processor device in it as I've seen quite a few references to the Analog Devices SSM2165 and wonder how they fare?

Either way I wish you well with it.

(Flipping shame they discontinued the FT817 and replacement 818, lovely little rigs by all accounts.)
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 9:56 am

Victor wrote:
Is your preamp board one of the units that has a speech processor device in it as I've seen quite a few references to the Analog Devices SSM2165 and wonder how they fare?

Either way I wish you well with it.

(Flipping shame they discontinued the FT817 and replacement 818, lovely little rigs by all accounts.)

Well, according to the advert, it has.  Haven't referenced the chip, but it was so cheap when I found an article from someone who did the mod, and having a cheap spare mic so I could compare to the original, I thought "why not?"

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/225024772771

I got lucky with my FT-817ND - mate was selling it, and it had the Sotabeams DSP kit fitted, as well as a few other goodies. 

I also bought the CW filter from an eBay seller in Japan and the board from a Polish HAM who makes them up, so I will have a 500Hz filter in it soon to for a lot less than the full Collins one cost from Yaesu...when you could actually buy them!

Last edited by 43CT016 on Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 10:19 am

Nice one with the heads up on those pre-amp boards Jeff. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d

(Will help anyone else wishing to build similar units but with the ease of modular construction.)

I see the SSM2167 has superseded the earlier chip and handily can even run from low voltages. Helpful that the FT817 has a +5 volt power pin on the mic lead and with such a small board more easily placed within a fist mic body.

You did well with your 817 then and nice to hear it'll be fully kitted out too. Smile
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 11:46 am

Victor wrote:

You did well with your 817 then and nice to hear it'll be fully kitted out too. Smile

I now have more radios than days in the week, and no time to use them.

So, best thing to do with the time I do have, is build more kits! Wife is thrilled……not!

This long weekend, if I don’t get out, I have a ZM2 tuner to finish building, and my QRP Guys tunable EFHW kit turned up too.
Back to top Go down
Ace

Call Sign : 26-CT-4203 - G0ACE
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Reading, Berkshire
Equipment Used : Mustang CB81, Tristar747, Belcom LS102

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 5:06 pm

A pretty neat job Victor and I'm very much with you on the recycle approach for building kit rather than buying the latest shiny gizmo. I guess we are both old fashioned hams at heart!

I enjoy seeing your projects and must compliment you on the wooden knobs you have turned on your wood lathe for some bits of kit. They look really good.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2023 6:39 am

Thanks Ace, that means a lot and much appreciated.

I do enjoy recycling, repurposing and utilising anything I have to hand to come up with the goods. It isn't always the easiest path to take but it does keep the brain going puzzling out solutions. Wink

I post up not in any effort to boast, but to show what is possible with limited resources and hopefully provide interesting content to the forum. 

('Old fashioned Hams' - Hee! It's one concept I like.)
Back to top Go down
richf
Contributor
Contributor
richf

Call Sign : 163-CT-067 GW0HDY
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Cwmbran, SE Wales
Equipment Used : FT450D FT818ND QCX MINI

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 24, 2023 7:39 pm

Victor wrote:
Cheers Alan mate. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

The new big desk and wireless keyboard helps give me the space I need for such fun.
(Was a right royal mess whilst building it with notes of cable colours and components abound!!)

Guess what I found whilst digging through the sheds on the nice sunny day yesterday?

....a partial 50m reel of three core mains cable!

Completely forgot I had that too so now I've got to grab a 'volunteer' to rig me up some more antenna wire.
My microphone shenanigans may have to wait a little while. Wink

(Teresa is gonna kill me! Very Happy )
Has your rigger been in to the loft yet?
How do you feed that antenna farm up there?
Spectrum communications do a 95 ohm twin feeder (look at details on their site) and I have a length of it which
is surplus to requirements - if it would be of any use to you pm me your address and I will send it to you plus a mystery item FOC.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 25, 2023 6:39 am

Hi Richard,

She certainly has mate! Wink
Made a very fine job of untangling the 88 foot of lawnmower lead adding on some more cable to give me a 135 foot doublet. Homebrew Headset/Mic 1f44d 

The whole shebang is fed by the same cable with some home made spreaders (from discarded plastic curtain track!) to give me six inch ladder line. Advantage is that I only have two small holes in the shack ceiling and it swings freely in the loft. No weather up there so no wind, rain, snow, ice or corrosion to contend with.

Bless you and a big thank you for the offer of the 95 ohm twin feed, your generosity is much appreciated. However the current feed line system is serving a grand job and I would rather you keep hold of it or pass it on to someone in more pressing need. I hate to sound somehow unappreciative but really do appreciate the offer.

All the best to you,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew Headset/Mic   Homebrew Headset/Mic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homebrew Headset/Mic
Page 1 of 1