Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 2:51 pm by Izzi

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 2:30 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

Keywords
president Mckinley call meter software anytone frequency 2023 callsign lincoln ss9900 sign display 9900 supply yaesu power list ALINCO 6900 chart Sirio Mobile 2022 antenna Baofeng
QRZ Database

president mckinley

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

president - president mckinley Empty
PostSubject: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 7:54 am

i have decided to let the mckinley go and i will  be looking for a radio with more buttons and levers (more old style if you will) so i will be advertising the president shortly , it has been a nice radio but the older radios seem easier to use so i will be having a look around and see what comes up  What a Face

GaryWilson, glenn dog, Samurai27, Mavic2Pro and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
Mavic2Pro

Call Sign : 26-CT-4634
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Clacton
Equipment Used : Super Star 3900 (2023),Yaseu FT-450D, Uniden Uniace 200, Audioline PT-341, CRT SS6900 V V7, Astatic 575-M6 Teardrop, Uniden 125xlt, Baofeng UV-5rIII, Malachite SDR, Realistic Pro 2006. Sirio 5/8 Gainmaster, Procomm PT-99

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 2:53 pm

I bought a CRT6900 back in August 2022 when I decided to get back in to CB. My purchase was based on bang for buck only (the bonus of a frequency display made me salivate too:-). ). Yes, it's a great radio. I paired it with a Proton PT-99 after my silver rod developed SWR issues due to living on the coast. Then I revived a Uniden 200 and it was a defining moment - I preferred the sound, look and feel of the Uniden over the CRT. I then bought a new Super Star 3900 last month because of its retro look and the fact it had a proper clarifier compared to the 6900 for SSB. It's now my preferred homebase radio with the Uniden as a mobile. and I've even ditched the modern PT-99 because of its poor bandwidth and have serviced the silver rod with amalgamating tape and a copious amount of ACF-50. The silver rod now gives me a fantastic SWR over the bandwidth and I'm as pleased as a blind man that fell into a bucket of tits.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 5:32 pm

yes im trying to get back to the old style rigs the new ones are ok but if you have to do the slightest thing like on the mckinley you have to get the book of words out and then scroll through half a dozen languages before you come to what you want and with the older radios you just flick a switch and bang you are on it  What a Face

Mavic2Pro likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mavic2Pro

Call Sign : 26-CT-4634
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Clacton
Equipment Used : Super Star 3900 (2023),Yaseu FT-450D, Uniden Uniace 200, Audioline PT-341, CRT SS6900 V V7, Astatic 575-M6 Teardrop, Uniden 125xlt, Baofeng UV-5rIII, Malachite SDR, Realistic Pro 2006. Sirio 5/8 Gainmaster, Procomm PT-99

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 6:26 pm

I'm with you there.

The Super Star 3900 is so familiar to the radios I used in the late 70's and early 80's. The knobs have solid and reassuring feel to them. The clarifier is brilliant compared to the click version on the 6900. The meter is so much better than a chunk of LED bars on the 6900. The Manual that came with the 3900 is very basic, but it is clearly aimed at those familiar with using a old rig and its second nature to those that buy it.

The CRT 6900 manual received a major trimming of the foreign languages when I first saw it, just so I could get to the English pages quickly. Even then, there are features that I have tried and then abandoned on the 6900, Echo chamber (?, I'm not an Italian Kilowatt bell-end) Noise reduction circuit, transmit and receive Noise compander etc., they are just useless gimmicks at the end of the day. The 6900 does have some brilliant features like scanning and the ability to lock out channels, but the squelch is shite at lower levels, so useless on sidebands.

I was thinking of going full retro and buying a old 148gtl DX or 360 FM, but the prices are just bonkers today and you could end up with a lemon.

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitimeSun May 21, 2023 6:33 pm

thanks for that i might have a look on the reviews on the 3900 , i will just have to let the mckinley quietly go now . i might advertise it on here and see what happens
i think the cobra 148 is an am rig but i do like the chrome front cobra rigs nice and old school  Cool as is the 3900
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   president - president mckinley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

president mckinley
Page 1 of 1