Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» NATO 2000 Restoration
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

Keywords
president supply 9900 chart callsign antenna anytone display lincoln software ss9900 2023 Sirio sign Mckinley 6900 power 2022 Baofeng list Mobile ALINCO call frequency yaesu meter
QRZ Database

New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Empty
PostSubject: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 7:53 am

Morning All,

I am looking for a new radio - I am quite particular and for me the radio needs to look good as well as perform well.

I want a radio that will do local stuff and the occasional DX. I haven't dipped my toe into SSB just yet but if I am honest (don't shoot me SSB fans) I don't like the sound too much - FM / AM sounds better to my ears.

There is some FM activity around me however I appreciate SSB provides more options. 

I am really smitten with the President Richard (AM/FM - Widebanded 11m 40-50w) however it doesn't have SSB. I know these radios are great quality and will stand the test of time.

Regarding SSB radios none really excite me however the more retro style rigs are probably more up my street i.e. Ares II / Superstar 3900 (2023) and maybe less retro but sort of retro CRT6900n and it's equivalents.

Whichever way I go is a £150+ investment so decision has to be right. 

At the moment heart is saying President Richard but head is saying one of the SSB radios mentioned. Just after some opinions / thoughts and whether anyone has had a similar dilemma. 

I wish there was more activity on FM and AM generally as I think these are great types of modulation and can be fun when DX conditions are right. I would love to hear of people's experience dx'ing on FM and AM compared to SSB - I know SSB is easier / more reliable but I have read of some successes with FM/AM.

Thank you for taking the time to read. 

Tony 
26CT4488

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
bertonumber1
bertonumber1

Call Sign : 108-CT-352 / MM7BVP
QTH or Location : Greenock, Scotland
Equipment Used : Kpo, Dx5000 icom 7300

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 9:33 am

Hi Tony,

I reckon if you weren't a fan of ssb but preferred AM/FM and also liked a good looking radio (leaning to your suggestion of President) The President Lincoln II + although it has ssb as well, is a nice looking rig with decent power and amazing audio on AM and FM (tx/rx).

The Mckinley again is another one from president range but with ssb too... It's hard to find a nice looking rig that doesnt have ssb and doesn't look like a souped up ashtray. But again with the right Mic sounds crisp and clear on both am/fm.

Youll have to decide what you really want to do first before taking the plunge. ssb is a good side order for when local stuff isn't happening (area permitting) That's just two examples I'm sure the other guys will have more.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Regards

Tristar and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
http://86.29.148.141:8090/VirtualRadar
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 10:01 am

The President Richard looks to be a decent little radio giving you what you want out of the box. Never used one though, so can only go by what I've read and seen on the net. Just want to point you at THIS VIDEO though, not to dissuade you, but so you have as much info to hand before you make your decision. In it I picked up on two things, the first being the test engineer "tuned" it better than it was out of the box. The second, that channel change knob...

If there's a component that may not last the test of time, that channel change knob jumps out at me. It's a multifunction knob (depress action as well as rotary), of the type that I have had fail on me on other equipment.

Note that the 6900 type radios do not cost a lot more than that President, but offer a lot more functionality including SSB (which I know isn't your top priority). I have had some good contacts using a 6900 on FM on both mid block and 27/81, but mostly only when the skips running as not a lot of local activity.

Legalities aside, maybe you could look at some old radios that are long lasting which would have the classic looks too (because they're classics). I know some old multimode radios go for mega bucks, but some of the AM or FM only models not so. Some older ones are easier to service too with larger components. If you shop around you should be able to find something like a Uniden 1 or 200 with mid block fitted (or even a 300 base) which will do you for FM, and an AM only radio (there was one highlighted on this form recently HERE) for less than the amount of the P. Richard. Just food for thought.

Tristar and bertonumber1 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 11:42 am

Hi guys what are your thoughts on one of the new superstar 3900's as im thinking of swapping the mckinley for one thanks  Smile
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 2:36 pm

SangueG wrote:
The President Richard looks to be a decent little radio giving you what you want out of the box. Never used one though, so can only go by what I've read and seen on the net. Just want to point you at THIS VIDEO though, not to dissuade you, but so you have as much info to hand before you make your decision. In it I picked up on two things, the first being the test engineer "tuned" it better than it was out of the box. The second, that channel change knob...

If there's a component that may not last the test of time, that channel change knob jumps out at me. It's a multifunction knob (depress action as well as rotary), of the type that I have had fail on me on other equipment.

Note that the 6900 type radios do not cost a lot more than that President, but offer a lot more functionality including SSB (which I know isn't your top priority). I have had some good contacts using a 6900 on FM on both mid block and 27/81, but mostly only when the skips running as not a lot of local activity.

Legalities aside, maybe you could look at some old radios that are long lasting which would have the classic looks too (because they're classics). I know some old multimode radios go for mega bucks, but some of the AM or FM only models not so. Some older ones are easier to service too with larger components. If you shop around you should be able to find something like a Uniden 1 or 200 with mid block fitted (or even a 300 base) which will do you for FM, and an AM only radio (there was one highlighted on this form recently HERE) for less than the amount of the P. Richard. Just food for thought.
Hi SangueG,

Thank you for your comments, really useful 👍
Now that you mention the channel selector I can see that could be a bit tricky. I think I will have a good long think before I do anything drastic. Maybe see how this year's DX plays out on FM and AM. I have a Uniden 400 (Cept EU 40) and a little President Harry 2 classic which does all (multinorm Am/FM UK/EU) so perhaps will just keep running them for now. Ideally, it would be good to have a one radio does all  - I like the Uniden 400 with it's analogue meter etc but it only does Mids FM. The president Harry 2 is also a great little radio just doesn't have a 'proper' signal meter just fairy lights 😂

Kind regards,

Tony 
26CT4488

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2023 8:03 am

If your antenna is working well and conditions align for you, you will make DX contacts using your Harry. Don't give up. There's been some snatches of Sporadic E over the UK in the past days and I am sure there'll be plenty more over the coming weeks.

You looking at radios has gotten me looking at similar as well, though I will not be allowed any more for a long time unless I snag an extremely cheap second hand bargain. The multifunction channel knob does seem to be the norm for new radios now unfortunately, but if you can live with that then during my internet window shopping I have seen these AM/FM models you might want to look up if only to make a radio choice even harder:

(in no particular order)
President Ronald and also Walker III
Top Gun Technologies - Predator
Midland Alan 78 Plus Multi
Cobra 29 LTD AM/FM Nightwatch

And one that really peaked my interests because it is advertised as having a "real channel selector" control and "thru-hole component circuit board" (so old school style / easier to repair):

Ranger RCI39VHP

The latter is only AM and a bit pricey, but there might be a similar model out there with FM too or a conversion mod. I think this one would be great fun on 10m AM or being the header behind an amp on the 11m superbowl.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m   New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Radio AM/FM wideband Vs SSB 10m
Page 1 of 1