Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
callsign Mckinley president ss9900 2022 display 6900 sign lincoln software 2023 anytone ALINCO Baofeng call power Mobile meter supply antenna chart Sirio 9900 list yaesu frequency
QRZ Database

Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework

Go down 
+4
DerekF
TamGlasgow
Victor
Alan Pilot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Empty
PostSubject: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 3:02 pm

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/updating-amateur-radio-licensing-framework?fbclid=IwAR1tgQg-rgnWARcYMHY4q2Qrojfq7D8jwAV6pc-Xf_1IRXIxfOKj_7bLrpI

GaryWilson, Victor, Mavic2Pro, Red Rooster LN-4614, weealan, peewee norfolk and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 4:46 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting about the Ofcom update on the Amateur Radio licence changes.

Feels like an early Christmas present! We'll just have to hold off on our gnashers until February and further. Wink

Hope you don't mind but I'll move this posting to the Amateur Discussions section so that it isn't so readily lost in the general section and seems more apt.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot, Red Rooster LN-4614 and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-370 & MM3TAM
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Clydebank, Scotland
Equipment Used : Various on 2/4/10/11m and 70cm

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 7:57 pm

Does this mean I will be able to drop the 2nd M in my call sign as in MM3 XXX will become M3 XXX?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 10:47 pm

Hi Alan

Thanks for posting the link to the (soon to be) updated changes to the Amateur Radio Licence.
Makes for some interesting reading.

73 Derek

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2023 11:53 pm

Thanks for posting Alan,

I think this is great news for all licence classes.

Best 73 Gary.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2023 5:38 am

Here's hoping this might motivate our lot over here to do similar, at least with respect to power outputs.  Seems all quite sensible from what I've read so far.

Last edited by 43CT016 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2023 6:33 am

Tam, 

You certainly could under the new terms if you wished and it's completely up to you. Similarly I could bung an 'E' for England on mine under the changes proposed but probably won't bother.

It's all mentioned in the documents regards RSL or Regional Secondary Locators and was probably the main change that was an almost half way split on the feedback views expressed. I can certainly understand why with many feeling a sense of pride with their national identity, for award programs or even simply logging issues.

(Such absence of 'national pride' causes us admin a headache with CT call sign applications with 'Country' filled in as 'United Kingdom' and then we have to go of and search to find out where their town/city actually is!)

The changes include easier provision for SES or Special Event Station identifiers also where they add a letter to the RSL to mark a special event or some such without having to apply for a NOV or Notice Of Variation on their licence. All good stuff.

There's already some videos popping up on the usual channels with more likely to come explaining out some of the changes greatly helping those that don't want to trawl through the huge amount of documents involved.

I feel as many did that these changes are for the better of the Amateur Radio hobby interest and not simply about 'More Watts Igor!' although I can see some of those Ameritron's being turned up if they aren't already.....especially for the "This frequency is in use!" shenanigans that happen on many of the 80/40m nets. Wink

For me I still get a thrill out of QRP operations especially with FT4/8 and super stoked that I've had contacts around the world with as little as 5W with my electric lawnmower lead antenna in my loft. So I won't be cranking up my power anytime soon.

Similarly I can strip apart and repair a transceiver, construct radio gear or other such because of my electronics background but my Foundation wouldn't <ahem> let me, yet a dear friend who is 'allowed' to under his 'Full' licence wouldn't have the first clue. So that's one aspect of the changes I very much welcome and makes sense.

I'm now looking forward to being able to 'supervise' my grandchildren on-air if they wish and who knows, even construct a transmitter with them and watch the thrill on their faces at the wonder of this here 'magical' radio interest. It'll certainly provide some brain food for possible future Ham radio operators who'll know more than the review score of the latest big-four pretty rigs.

As nice as that all is there will still be those that'll state I can already do that if I'd "progressed" up my licence....but it makes me wonder how many Full licence operators actually do any of that sort of stuff. Giving the 'freedom' for those that 'can' will certainly enrich the hobby no end regardless of what your callsign actually is.

I will certainly do all I can to assist others with their radio interest as much as possible for the simple sake of seeing people enjoying what they do. radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework 1f44d 

Once more my apologies for the 'waffle', but some may find it useful.

All the best,
Victor

26CT3228, M7VIC....who cares, it's just a 'number-plate' with the important bit being the person 'driving' it.

Alan Pilot, DerekF and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2023 1:57 pm

I am actually quite surprised, but pleased for existing and future holders of the Foundation Licence, that Ofcom appear to have listened to responses and as a result upped the max power allowed for the licence from the proposed 20 Watts to 25 Watts.

And there I was just thinking that the consultation was put out as another large organisation tick box exercise. I have pleasantly been proved wrong Smile

Victor and Mavic2Pro like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm

Ah Neal, ye of little faith. Wink

(Just because our government has been shown what a lying bunch of baskets they are doesn't mean every official department is also.)

I've got to admit I was surprised with that statement especially after the feedback concerning commercial equipment and their stepped power ranges but pleasantly so.

Looking forward to it all and may even pop my VHF/UHF radio to that 'HI' setting when it all comes into play. Smile
Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4879 / M7PCA
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : North Walsham, JO02QU
Equipment Used : FT1000MP !!!!!!binatone 5*,alinco dx10 135,sirio4000,silver rod,G5RV,beofeng 17 pro max, X30 duel 2m/70cm,full size G5RV, TS120v,soon new toy

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2023 7:58 pm

thanks for the post AL
lots of reading even read the essex ham, rsgb ect bits,
i like quite a bit of it, but some bits are er lets say might cause problems in built up areas i neednt say what as you can all guess, i would be nice to get a lot more power as a foundation but hey, the weekend just proved that you dont need a lot of power, yes if i had 100w and a big beam prob would have had more contacts but if everyone was running loads of power every where we would just block each other out, ill still be sticking to my masive 10w and my dare i say 4w 11m, more fun for me personaly, knowing im only low power and still getting contacts.
the old 2m will be better for me personaly as live in middle of no where sort of so yes that bits good, as for the call sign debate....... a call sign is for life not just 2/5 years...... apart from dare i say sorry Neal that dam 2e0 call sign i do struggle with it and thats not even with cw lol....so a spanking new M8 M9 with the same letters after does make sence to me and i know the CW opps would agree
last thing....
Happy crimbo OFCOM and thank you........(my first present of the year)
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 6:27 am

There's a great video from Pete and the gang at Essex Ham for those that don't want to trawl through the paperwork :-

https://www.essexham.co.uk/licence-change-statement-dec-23.html

As ever a big thanks to Peter M0PWX and the team for their fantastic work. radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework 1f44d

Alan Pilot, Ivy Mike and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework   radio - Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Statement: Updating the amateur radio licensing framework
Page 1 of 1