Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
sign call software Mckinley Baofeng power 9900 ss9900 yaesu 2023 meter chart anytone Mobile supply Sirio 6900 ALINCO antenna lincoln callsign 2022 display list frequency president
QRZ Database

Small Handies for Ham and PMR use

Go down 
+2
26ct038andy
Jeff G6BBN
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeff G6BBN
Jeff G6BBN

Call Sign : G6BBN / 26CT2645
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : South Cambridgeshire
Equipment Used : Ham, PMR and CB

Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Empty
PostSubject: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 8:56 am

Just a quick post about a couple of handies I bought recently.

First pair - Pofung branded UV-6R - sold under a number of names.

Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use 9k=

Bought these as they cover 2m and 70cm as well as PMR.  Did not get along very well with them as programming via the keypad was user-unfriendly.  However, bought the USB programming lead and downloaded the CHIRP programmer software for the MAC.  Wow, what a difference.

I programmed in local 2m and 70cm repeaters (South Cambs) and these little handies can access them from a few miles away on the standard rubber antenna - considering this 5" antenna is multi-band, quite impressed.  A replacement antenna would be a useful addition.

I also programmed in the 8 PMR channels twice, once in "clear" and once with CTCSS enabled.

Key Features/Specifications:

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-519.995 MHz
Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
Different LED Background colors
Output Power: 5 /1 Watts
128 Channels 50 CTCSS and 104 DCS
Built-in VOX Function
1750Hz Brust Tone
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
LED Flashlight Large LCD Display High/Low RF Power
Switchable 25KHz/12.5KHz
Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25KHz

Impressed with these so, for a car club run, bought a pair of Baofeng BF-888S Plus radios

Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Z

As delivered these were programmed to illegal frequencies, so using the same USB lead and CHIRP software I programmed 8 of the channels to UK PMR in "clear" and 8 of the channels to CTCSS the same as the UV-6R's.  Now we can chat easily and conveniently on PMR. Great battery life.

Preset 16 channels
UHF 400-480MHZ,
1500mAh high capacity Battery.
50 CTCSS/105 CDCSS;
VOX Function;
Voice Prompt;
Torch Light;
PC Programming;
Emergency Alarm;
Intelligent Charging;
Battery Save;
Low Voltage Alert

Cheap as chips as well!
Back to top Go down
26ct038andy

Call Sign : 26ct038 26sd9938
QTH or Location : sheffield

PostSubject: Re: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 pm

great little radios and cheap.I always keep one in the boot of the car cant beat them for the money

DrDarryll likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 11:57 am

got two of ebay and delivered to my home £25 and have them set up for 70cm,
and pmr only but with a mag antenna and a base antenna , for Pmr they work great.

Back to top Go down
26TC62
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
26TC62

Call Sign : 26TC62, 26CT2817
Times Thanked : 29
QTH or Location : Portsmouth
Equipment Used : Yaesu 891, 10m pole, wire 5/8, T2LT

PostSubject: Re: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2019 5:33 pm

I've got a UV5R and it's OK as long as you aren't trying to use it near other transmitters - it gets clobbered on Butser Hill if I am near the tower up there.

Back to top Go down
The Old Hobbit
The Old Hobbit

Call Sign : M6 KVK
QTH or Location : Aldershot
Equipment Used : Mil manpack PRC320, FT 450D, FT 817ND, FT8800, Varity of HT,s

PostSubject: Re: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I run a few Handies for PMR 2/70cm and always have one on my belt.  I have 3 different Baofengs, a Yaesu VX6 and my most recent acquisition is a Retevis RT87.  Most people don't like the Baofeng because the are not particularly programming friendly but I make sure that I can programme every HT without the need of a computer as I don't carry one in the field.

Back to top Go down
Silverbone

QTH or Location : Southport
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV-5R

PostSubject: Baofeng UV-5R    Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 pm

I have a Baofeng UV-5R just for listening and training purposes as I haven't got a foundation licence yet but unfortunately I have not been able to listen to anyone yet as I can't seem to work it out properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Handies for Ham and PMR use   Baofeng - Small Handies for Ham and PMR use Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small Handies for Ham and PMR use
Page 1 of 1