Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
yaesu call frequency Mobile callsign list 6900 chart 2022 9900 Mckinley anytone Baofeng supply ALINCO president sign antenna power meter Sirio software ss9900 2023 lincoln display
QRZ Database

CB/Amature radios users?

Go down 
+26
53 Prefect
Markone
A5H5ATAN1C
Nick
stephen Gunrunner
Alan Pilot
The Doctor
2AL454
Bean
Pagan
Retroman
Greensleeves
Alan - Mirror Man
saltire
Radio Lilac
Radio Pixie
John123
GaryWilson
Matt86
Victor
NUBSTER
Cozzmik
Northern Crusader
kermit
Scan125
airfixpilot
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
airfixpilot

Call Sign : 26-CT-3533 Airfixpilot
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Killingholme
Equipment Used : Albrecht AE-6110, Icom R5 & R6, Uniden UBC125 XLT. CRT FP00, Baofang UV5r & UV3+. A pair of Retcvis R24.

CB/Amature radios users? Empty
PostSubject: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2020 9:18 am

Good morning all.

I was just wondering if anyone has opinions on CB / Armature Radio?.  To be honest I am in the middle of doing an foundation course in Armature radio.  Due to the expansion of CB frequencies and channels to European CB, including AM/FM modes & SSB, do you think that CB should move towards licence again?.  With rules and conditions for use, including regulated power output, (which we know that some users flaunt) so it makes the CB band unfair.

I know that I may get a backlash from this statement, but its only like self regulating radio, and responsible user would have no problem with this.  Using a proper callsign ( and I know that Charlie Tango DX Forum, is giving callsigns to users),would help identified users.

If CBers understood the problems with using self modified sets, and the interference to adjacent frequencies they course to other users, may be they should learn a bit about radio, and how it works.

Lets move on from the old Handles (callsigns), and get proper IDs we call callsigns, issued from a governing body.  (Ofcom?).  Let common sense prevail and move forward in a professional way.

DP

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Scan125
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-8080
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Wrexham, North Wales
Equipment Used : MAXON 1000, AlincoDX-R8, Lowe HF150, Uniden UBC125XLT & UBC75XLT, SDRplay RSPduo

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 9:27 am

Well simple answer is YES and NO (re official licensing) or is it NO and YES.

Suggest you read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_radio_in_the_United_Kingdom

With that under your belt being then we come to if licensing back then, before it was dropped, made any difference to illegal rigs and operations.  No it didn't and pursuit of offenders I guess was just too much hassle and expense for no or little reward in controlling the CB bands.

This status is still true today where there is much interest/activity in "freebanding" in the 26MHz to 28MHz range which is technically illegal but is being done with far greater consideration and technical skill/operation than in the old illegal AM CB days.  

So what about Amateurs.  Well they were always licensed.  Not trying to upset anybody but many of them where "sticklers" in both protecting and objecting to the illegal use of their bands.  So much so it was not uncommon for amateurs to DF (direction find) illegal operatives and stitch them up.  And why not as they were having to learn and pay to get a license to operate.

With free CB there were now "two play pens" so I guess on the whole the amateurs were happy, the CBers were happy and now I think it is fairly safe to say the CBers/freebanders do not enter and upset the amateur play pen because they may get beaten up.  Meanwhile many amateurs over the years have entered the CB/freebanding play pen and in doing so have brought knowledge and technical experience which has been welcomed by most.  

When you listen to CB/freebanding these days the operatives, quest for knowledge, getting that DX contact on limited power, etc. is a far cry from the "OLD" CB days.

Yes on CB there are still dick heads, bad language, channel 19 hogs, burner muppets .......  Licensing would not change this.  

Basically the government has washed it's hands of the 26MHz/28MHz spectrum.  Illegal rigs (and legal rigs with faults) that cause problems outside of the band will get attention when complaints come in.      

Meanwhile if you look at all the 1000s of "registered" CT, TM and FB call signs then it is very clear that these dominate the CB/freebanding and as such the community are self licensing and disciplining   which is EXACTLY what the hobby needs.  And when we add the number of licensed amateurs with CT, TM and FB call signs into the pot then the answer to your original question from my point of view
I don't think the reintroduction of official licensing is going to make any real difference.

Paddy, Alan - Mirror Man, sbilson and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
kermit
kermit

Call Sign : 26-CT-3484 kermit
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Minsterworth GL2
Equipment Used : crt ss 6900n

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Hi I am sorry to rain on your parade but I really feel I must agree with scan 125
There short and sweet lol

Chris CT 3484

Back to top Go down
Scan125
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-8080
QTH or Location : Wrexham, North Wales
Equipment Used : MAXON 1000, AlincoDX-R8, Lowe HF150, Uniden UBC125XLT & UBC75XLT, SDRplay RSPduo

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm

kermit wrote:
Hi I am sorry to rain on your parade but I really feel I must agree with scan 125
There short and sweet lol

Chris CT 3484

I could have just said NO but I thought that a little explanation and exploration in this case would do no harm Smile (I hope)

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Scan125 wrote:

With free CB there were now "two play pens" so I guess on the whole the amateurs were happy, the CBers were happy and now I think it is fairly safe to say the CBers/freebanders do not enter and upset the amateur play pen because they may get beaten up.  Meanwhile many amateurs over the years have entered the CB/freebanding play pen and in doing so have brought knowledge and technical experience which has been welcomed by most.  

When you listen to CB/freebanding these days the operatives, quest for knowledge, getting that DX contact on limited power, etc. is a far cry from the "OLD" CB days.

This a million times. It's literally the best of all worlds. It's much easier to avoid the dickheads too because it would seem they only ever buy radios with a single channel, Ch19 UKFM. Keep away from that and all is good with the world.

Paddy and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 5:12 pm

I am a CBer/Freebander and have been for over 40 years and i welcome the Amateur users on 11m and while i have no interest whatsoever becoming a "Ham" the way 11m freebanding has evolved into more serious radio has made it more interesting.
I also believe Freebanders try not to give interference (i certainly try) but a few just up the power regardless and stuff everyone else (A certain AT member here in Kent is guilty for sure) but i think a CB licence is pointless..

For me its just radio,another hobby to add to my list and nothing worth getting worked up about

Last edited by Cozzmik on Thu May 14, 2020 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Paddy, Alan - Mirror Man, Tristar and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm

If you feel you want to go ham, great, but don't drag everyone with you, I was born a pirate and will die the same,,, lol 10/4 gud buddy cum own.

73s Tom,,,,,,, oppps G6ONK
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 6:50 am

26cz455 wrote:
If you feel you want to go ham, great, but don't drag everyone with you, I was born a pirate and will die the same,,, lol 10/4 gud buddy cum own.

73s  Tom,,,,,,,    oppps   G6ONK

I often get the comment "you should do your foundation as it opens up so much more" and while of course this is true the amount of enjoyment i get from 11m is enough.

Its one of many hobbies i have and its no great shakes if i dont use it for sometime due to other things going on.I try to be a respectful radio op but its just some fun now and then...leave it that way without licences and regulation call signs..

Alan - Mirror Man and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 7:31 am

There was me thinking radio users had evolved with a status quo being reached between Hams and CBers...

Oh hang on a minute! Judging by today's standards, this group and the above fantastic replies....IT HAS!! Smile

Thank heavens, long may it be so as we continue towards the pursuit of radio happiness.

"Licences, mumble, mumble, regulation, mumble, mumble, unfair, mumble, bah!"
Like you really need to be a mechanic and know how a car engine works to get a driving 'licence'.....or a training program to obtain your TV 'licence' and a plethora of other examples. Sounds like you've been hanging around the old BR68ers too much laddie, clones of clones of clones of "back in our day...mumble....Morse...mumble...moan".

I applaud the replies and pity the posted thoughts. Get a grip man, enjoy yourself with what you want to do without detriment to others. That said....

I wish you the best with your own radio pursuits and good luck for your Foundation ticket Smile

Won't be long before you can join in on the top-band and 80m moaners....except you'll be a Foundation 10 watter.......and they won't want to talk to you Wink

Alan - Mirror Man and Blue Thunder like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 9:30 am

41 years i have been on CB radio then also on to Ham radio. keep it as it is.
CB is fun, and meant for the general public to use for local contacts but has the added bonus of DX on all modes. Smile
Why try to make it like Ham radio when the FL is so easy to enter that branch of the radio hobby.
so once keep as it is.
apart from the idiots on 11m it is fine. cheers
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm both but to be honest prefer ham bands as more activity . But give a few more years when 11 rocking it may change .

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 1:36 pm

I considered doing the F/C, thought about it a lot and this lock down pushing it online meant I could do it without too many problems. Then I started listening and even got to chat with a G1, have to be honest what I was hearing didn't impress me and having see the replies here im sure I WONT be going ham anytime soon..

Small snippet of info for you. Sadly I live on the edge of C19 Muppet land hear the chat that goes on ( I use an online translator for Yam Yam to English) Ive lost count of the number of people I hear telling each other they are starting or doing the F/C. So it wont be restricted to C19 they are being turned loose on the world. Do you really think a bit of paper and a call sign will change these eeerm operators. They will just bring their ways and mates with them.

Im sorry I must sound very ANTI HAM,,,,,, im not, but I must say some of the attitudes ive encountered for SOME, not all by and means hams do put a slant on this. Ive found that the old hands ( with proper call signs ) take an approach of educate and help, however the new chaps with the Mickey Mouse number have a downer on anyone who doesn't have a ticket. Or am I just old and cynical,,,, unno ill let you decide......

70thirds All
Capt Pugwash,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its me really Tom lol
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 3:52 pm

While it can look like some CBers are anti Ham in truth i think its just the Hams are usually extremely serious about radio and believe some CBers are not so which CAN cause tension.

Im of the camp that "its all radio" and plenty of us 11m users are also serious too but may be happy with how things are..

The point of the original question is should we have Licences/Governed callsigns and to that i have already said NO......leave us Cbers/Freebanders to enjoy our radio just as it is.

Radio for the people as it was originally intended.....

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Nicely put Sam and long may it be so Smile

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 5:58 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
I'm not trying to start  a CB v Ham war  Mark there is also some idiots on the Ham bands not just 11m so not everyone is innocent ,in fact some from the Ham bands have ventured over to 11m to act the idiot and there is actual truth in that .

Indeed you are right, it has been their for years on the ham bands too. not defending any part of the radio hobby.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 6:20 pm

It's all radio to me, I tend to dwell more on 40 & 20 meters at the moment because propagation is still good there despite being at solar minimum. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Cozzmik wrote:
26cz455 wrote:

73s  Tom,,,,,,,    oppps   G6ONK

I often get the comment "you should do your foundation as it opens up so much more" and while of course this is true the amount of enjoyment i get from 11m is enough.

Its one of many hobbies i have and its no great shakes if i dont use it for sometime due to other things going on.I try to be a respectful radio op but its just some fun now and then...leave it that way without licences and regulation call signs..

It is exactly the same for me too, Sam. I am very happy having CB/11m and pmr to use.

Back to top Go down
airfixpilot

Equipment Used : Albrecht AE-6110, Icom R5 & R6, Uniden UBC125 XLT. CRT FP00, Baofang UV5r & UV3+. A pair of Retcvis R24.

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 8:20 am

Hi Guys thanks for the comments, very interesting and informative.  Yes in both camps (CB/Hams) there are morons who think themselves IT.    Our goal for both camps is to encourage more Users to JOIN us, on the airwaves.  Most Hams, we think of old chaps , using morse keys to transmit with the old city and guilds.  Now its changed to a easy exam for foundation, to attract the man off the street.  pass rate is high with getting 19 out of 26 questions right, from multiple answers.  The CBers camp seems to be growing, which is great, with more freedom to use AM,FM & USB legally.  The channels have increased, with rigs/radios to be used in the EU.  That's something foundation Ham users cannot do, go abroad and use their there sets. I would like to see a rise of 446MHZ radio, with its 16 channels handhelds as they are great sets to use and inexpensive, ( bought a Pair for £22 boxed). They were Retcvis RT24. the build quality is great and of pro standard, and 446 is licence free. Worth a look on ebay.

So in a nutshell, we both want the best for CB & Ham, to encourage more people to both hobbies on the airwaves.  each to their own.  keep it clean as we have younger users on air, and be considerate to other users.  

73s & 10 10 till another time  CT35338) Cool

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 11:16 am

GaryWilson wrote:
It's all radio to me, I tend to dwell more on 40 & 20 meters at the moment because propagation is still good there despite being at solar minimum. Very Happy

Same here too.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
airfixpilot

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 11:40 am

Hi Nubster. Sorry to offend, did not mean to. I like all sorts of radio, including Scanning, and CB. I just wanted views on CB & ham, and scanning if you want.

Everyone has different thoughts on the radio subject. Guess you have opion too, that's not a problem with Me or anyone on here, I hope. As I said We all would like more people to come to the hobby, I hope you agree?

Friends??

CT3533

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB/Amature radios users?   CB/Amature radios users? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB/Amature radios users?
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next