Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by John H

» Tank whip for homebase
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» First homebase
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:10 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
Mobile Sirio meter 2023 sign software 9900 Mckinley frequency callsign president 6900 lincoln yaesu anytone list ss9900 supply power Baofeng ALINCO display chart 2022 antenna call
QRZ Database

SELLING UP after 3 days

Go down 
+6
GaryWilson
pistolpete
Cozzmik
saltire
MV Communicator
Equaliser
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Equaliser
Equaliser

Call Sign : 26-CT-3582
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Colchester Essex
Equipment Used : President Lincoln 2 plus

SELLING UP after 3 days  Empty
PostSubject: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi all I am going to sell up after 3 days... Just wasted £575 ... On crap..!!

Spend 3 days on 27.555 USB calling, may as well listen to static on the Radio and stare at £575 cash on my shelf..

BIG REGRETS..!!!
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Call Sign : 26-CT-4558
QTH or Location : Wootton Bassett
Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi Equaliser, what's your set up? Maybe you've got a faulty bit of kit / connector or cable in there somewhere? I know its frustrating getting new kit and it seems to be not working. Maybe we can fault find and get to the bottom of the problem (if there is one) by talking through your set up and trying to isolate the 'root cause'

Don't quit yet buddy!
Back to top Go down
https://www.cbtvuk.com/
saltire
Contributor
Contributor
saltire

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North east scotland.
Equipment Used : Stryker 955/Gainmaster .AnyTone778V/U(crap dont buy one!), icom 7300.

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Maybe someone who lives close could pop round and check your ser up !
Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 4:19 pm

You should of heard something as 11m has been good the last few days (today a bit quieter) with lots of europe with strong signals.
Ireland and Scotland about on the short hop skip too...

Yesterday was so busy i went down to 26mhz to give my ears a rest and make some contacts..a good sign this summer could be decent for more of the same.
Back to top Go down
pistolpete

Call Sign : 26-CT-3575, 26-LT-107, Pistol Pete
QTH or Location : Chislehurst, Kent
Equipment Used : CRT SS 7900 (x2), Albrecht 2990AFS, Albrecht AE6110, CRT-S9900v4, Leixen 2M/70cm 898s, Uniden Bearcat Scanner (x2)

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi Equaliser - sorry to hear. I have come back to CB/freebanding after a quarter of a century away. I have some crappy Albrecht gear over which I heard absolutely nothing until I built myself a 10/11m dipole. I have recently worked North England (from Kent) and all the way to the East of Germany.

First thing to check is your SWR meter. I bought about 3 antennas and couldn't 'tune' any of them. All of the showed high SWR no matter what I did with location, cable, etc etc. Never occurred to me that the crappy 14 quid SWR meter I used was crap/faulty. New SWR meter and hey presto, managed to tune my dipole to close to 1:1 SWR across the UK40 channel range.

What antenna you running and where is it mounted and with what cable ?

Happy to help if I can.

Tx,
Pete 26-CT-3575
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

Equipment Used : CRT Superstar SS-7900, TTi TCB-771, Thunderpole Red Devil, Cobra M75 Power Mic

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2020 8:05 pm

pistolpete wrote:
Hi Equaliser - sorry to hear. I have come back to CB/freebanding after a quarter of a century away. I have some crappy Albrecht gear over which I heard absolutely nothing until I built myself a 10/11m dipole. I have recently worked North England (from Kent) and all the way to the East of Germany.

First thing to check is your SWR meter. I bought about 3 antennas and couldn't 'tune' any of them. All of the showed high SWR no matter what I did with location, cable, etc etc. Never occurred to me that the crappy 14 quid SWR meter I used was crap/faulty. New SWR meter and hey presto, managed to tune my dipole to close to 1:1 SWR across the UK40 channel range.

What antenna you running and where is it mounted and with what cable ?

Happy to help if I can.

Tx,
Pete 26-CT-3575

Couldn't agree more Pete, when buying multiple bits of kit, the chances of an 'out of box' failure is probably higher today than ever due to cost implications in manufacturing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 2:08 am

I too can confirm that 555 has been bubbling very nicely of the last week.
So as mid band FM/SSB with lots of EU stations at 59.
Mark 26CT695.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 6:21 am

Hello Mark,

There have been some fairly big openings on 10 & 11 meters in the last week. Both inter-G and Euro E-skip have been possible. What antenna system are you using?

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 7:34 am

Don't give up m8.
I have only been back on a short time after a 25/6 year break.
Set my station up in the bedroom but didn't hear much at all.
Out in the car was a bit better but don't go out that much.
THEN i cleared out my shed and set up out there and the only thing i changed was the coax.
This time i bought the good stuff and plugged it all in and away.
I say away as i only turned it on yesterday for the first time.
First contact was into Italy and a report of 5by9 then i went back on 555 and it was mad but i got hold of an old m8 and well had a good afternoon talking away for around 4 hours.
So DON'T give up just yet it's got to be a fault on a coax plug or something small.
There's got to be a local that can help you out.
Back to top Go down
MrFendt
MrFendt

Call Sign : 29-CT-024
QTH or Location : Ireland/Germany
Equipment Used : Team CB/FX mobile & 1.5m orbitor. Sirio HP 4000/Maas DP-27 & Grant 2 premium

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 12:56 pm

I'm sorry, but why go to the trouble of logging in, sitting down and writing a post like this with zero information of setup, equipment etc ? Instead, why don't you ask what can you do fix the situation and make the best use of the money you're after spending, there is a world of knowledge on this forum and it's most likely something simple. These forums are brilliant for help and advice, not so great for coming and having a cry looking for sympathy.
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Absolutely spot on Mark 👍 after just 3 days the towel is thrown ! Says more about the OP than the actual situation

If the the OP really hasn’t heard a thing on T5 then there is clearly something wrong and with a bit of patience could be soon put right

Craig
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Equaliser,

Does sound rather strange you haven't received any replies?

I live in Fife Scotland and can hear German & French channels coming over just now and have just spoken to a 13EK11 a few mins ago.

As I live approx 340m as the crow flies further north, it may be as the guys are suggesting and that you have an issue somewhere. Are you receiving any local stations on any other channels?

Always worth taking a minute to sit back and look at the issue with a fresh pair of eyes instead of getting annoyed and throwing in the towel.

73's mate.

Take a min, take a break and see if any of the local guys on here can assist before you chuck it in.
Back to top Go down
MrFendt
MrFendt

Equipment Used : Team CB/FX mobile & 1.5m orbitor. Sirio HP 4000/Maas DP-27 & Grant 2 premium

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 3:48 pm

Sydthecat wrote:
Absolutely spot on Mark 👍  after just 3 days the towel is thrown ! Says more about the OP than the actual situation

If the the OP really hasn’t heard a thing on T5 then there is clearly something wrong and with a bit of patience  could be soon put right

Craig

Been on so many forums over the years (for tractors, cars etc etc) and seen so many of them ruined and taken over by attention seeking posts like this and people replying with comments that give exactly what the OP is looking for, sympathy. I'm not trying to take away from the encouraging words posted above and absolutely can understand the frustration as I've been there ! But if there was info given, questions asked etc to rectify the situation then I too would encourage perseverance but I feel not enough people call BS on posts like this.
Back to top Go down
MV Communicator
MV Communicator

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 3:55 pm

Hmmm, the lack of replies too have led me to believe it could be BS, or self inflicted. My order from Knights turns up tomorrow, being off CB since 1987 myself, I'm prepared for some tinkering and trials and error etc. It's a bonus if I can install it, power it up and it works straight away as one wants, but being RF, we know that isn't always the case. I certainly won't be binning it if that's the case, part of the fun is finding out why things don't work and fixing them
Back to top Go down
MrFendt
MrFendt

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm

MV Communicator wrote:
Hmmm, the lack of replies too have led me to believe it could be BS, or self inflicted.  My order from Knights turns up tomorrow, being off CB since 1987 myself,  I'm prepared for some tinkering and trials and error etc. It's a bonus if I can install it, power it up and it works straight away as one wants, but being RF, we know that isn't always the case. I certainly won't be binning it if that's the case, part of the fun is finding out why things don't work and fixing them

Exactly... Its all trial and error for me too being new to radio. If I need help, I ask, simple... if I can fix it myself happy days (this is where the real buzz in the hobby comes from) and if I can't and need to throw a few quid at a problem to make it go away so be it but I don't like to be beaten Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 4:12 pm

GaryWilson wrote:
Hello Mark,

There have been some fairly big openings on 10 & 11 meters in the last week. Both inter-G and Euro E-skip have been possible. What antenna system are you using?

73's Gary.

Hello Gary.
The usual antenna been up for 17 years now. Solarcon A-99. vertical. 20' of the ground only. VSWR 1:2
Still works well on 11M and elseware.
Mark 26CT695.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 8:05 pm

STARSHIP wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:
Hello Mark,

73's Gary.

Hello Gary.
The usual antenna been up for 17 years now. Solarcon A-99. vertical. 20' of the ground only. VSWR 1:2
Mark 26CT695.

Hello Mark,

I was actually directing the question to Mark the thread starter who is considering giving up after three days. I suspect that after the band openings last week that his antenna system is not so good.

The Solarcon is a great antenna and sturdy as anything on the market. I no longer have a permanent vertical up I use a long wire for the obvious bands. If I want a bit of 11 meter action I pop up a T2LT on a 10 meter pole and it works a treat for 11 & 10 meters.

Thanks for the reply all the same Mark and of course your valued contributions to the forum. Stay safe! Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 10:55 pm

GaryWilson wrote:
STARSHIP wrote:
GaryWilson wrote:
Hello Mark,

73's Gary.

Hello Gary.
Mark 26CT695.

Hello Mark,

I was actually directing the question to Mark the thread starter who is considering giving up after three days. I suspect that after the band openings last week that his antenna system is not so good.

The Solarcon is a great antenna and sturdy as anything on the market. I no longer have a permanent vertical up I use a long wire for the obvious bands. If I want a bit of 11 meter action I pop up a T2LT on a 10 meter pole and it works a treat for 11 & 10 meters.

Thanks for the reply all the same Mark and of course your valued contributions to the forum. Stay safe! Very Happy

73's Gary.

Indeed Gary.
I use 40M/15M/20M on a pair of dipoles that i have made from scrap wire lengths.
then A-99 FOR 17M/15M/12M/10M.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SELLING UP after 3 days    SELLING UP after 3 days  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SELLING UP after 3 days
Page 1 of 1