Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Arial help please Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Arial help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Arial help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Arial help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Arial help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
Arial help please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
Arial help please Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Arial help please Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
Arial help please Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
frequency ss9900 Mckinley display 2023 power chart Baofeng anytone 2024 2022 meter 6900 president yaesu lincoln list 9900 Mobile antenna call callsign sign Sirio software ALINCO
QRZ Database

Arial help please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dalesman

Call Sign : 26-CT-3669
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Richmond North Yorks
Equipment Used : none at present - purchase imminent

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi just a quick question - I've spent all morning putting up a SIGMA EXCALIBUR Compact Home Base Arial as a temporary measure with the recommended length of RG213 Magnum PREMIUM 50Ω coax (17ft-9inches) i did check the cable for shorts but i didn't check the arial
my question is should i have 50 ohms at the radio plug between the plug casing & the solder tip with it all connected or have i got this wrong. any comments please
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi Colyn,

Don't confuse the 50 ohm RF impedance with resistance......you ain't gonna be measuring it with a multimeter Wink
To measure RF impedance you'll need at least an antenna analyser or such, but don't go rushing out to buy one.

You can use a multimeter to check your coax and PL259 connections for shorts, open circuitry or continuity and that's about it, (still handy and possibly what you've already done).

Just hook it up and give it a go, so long as your SWR is less than 2 it should work.
Don't expect much from that antenna though, maybe good for local work but will struggle after that. Although with a bit of E-skip even a biscuit tin mounted mobile can break Europe Wink

Hope that helps.

(Someone's bound to come by slagging that antenna off and why the coax needs to be cut a certain length....blah, blah, blah. But sometimes you need to work with what you've got).

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
dalesman

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 pm

Thanks Victor Just had a mild panic attack thinking the Arial was faulty & it all had to come down again - because of what i thought i remembered from 40 years ago - i'm pleased i got it wrong - thanks again

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi Colyn.

Victor is right,,,, if you want a quick easy cheap antenna get yourself some 20amp single core twin and earth and build a 1/2 wave wire dipole,,,,, it will do a better job than the sigma,,, cut each leg 9.09ft that will give you room to adjust for swr,,,, you can use this horizontal, vertical or inverted V to suit your location, you will need a balun as your going balance antenna to unbalance feeder, but google it you can make your own baluns and rf chokes,,,, and remember height is might and might is right.

Best 70thirds Tom 26CZ455
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 4:41 pm

No worries Colyn, hope it works out for you. (I bet you measured a short on the Excalibur and panicked!)

Tom's got the right idea if you're up for it. My own antenna is a simple inverted V wire dipole mounted in the loft although mine is only choked with a ferrite ring rather than balun. Regularly hitting Europe with it at the mo and cost me nothing Smile

Work with what you've got mate and take it from there.

Best of luck with it all,
Victor

Templar likes this post

Back to top Go down
dalesman

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 7:14 pm

no victor that was my worry i did the cable which was ok but i didn't check the Arial at all - this Excalibur is only a temporary measure just to get some local coverage till i decide where i want to go with the hobby - SSB or take the basic ham exam & go in that direction
I'll take a look at home made dipoles in case this is rubbish. I only decided to give it a try cause i read a review saying it was an underrated antenna & could produce some good results for the price - we shall see
cheers colyn
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi Colyn.
I can second what Victor and Tom say.
I too have a Dipole in the loft (not allowed any external Antennas)
A few weeks ago I got QSO's into East Hungary and Northern Italy (865 miles as the crow flies) on 8 watts. I find working QRP more fun and challenging.
Plenty of info on the Internet and just experiment to see what works best for you - it's all part of the hobby and one aspect that I find enjoyable.
Enjoy your radio.
Cheers
Stay safe
73's
Dale
26-CT-3550

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 pm

No problem Colyn.

Radio can become an all consuming hobby like the best hobbies! Smile
Sidebanding on the CB frequencies can be a lot of fun and also frustrating but personally for me that's the fun of it. Getting your ticket opens a different world of radio and many more frequencies, most much easier to obtain radio contact on. But boy are you gonna need much bigger, more complex antennas!

Have fun with it all and most of all enjoy it.

--------

Hi Dale,

I'm glad I'm not the only nutter with bits of wire hanging in my loft! Very Happy
Like you I've had no problem cracking Europe with it but I've had not a sausage with UK contacts?!?!?
Not that I'm that bothered, conditions dictate and it's nice hearing those European stations calling back to various Charlie Tango numbers Smile

All the best.

dalesman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Remember you can only check your coax for any shorts with it disconnected from the antenna because the matching sections of many antennas appear as a dead short to DC.

dalesman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bovril

Call Sign : 26-CT-3694
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ruislip, London.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000D

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2020 11:46 pm

A good question to ask, Dalesman.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Arial help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Arial help please   Arial help please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arial help please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: