Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT callsign please (Issued)
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» EU conditions have started
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeToday at 2:19 am by babis3g

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:58 pm by VanRougeT4

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» 11m conditions
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 pm by babis3g

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
yaesu Sirio 2023 9900 supply chart anytone software meter Baofeng Mobile list ss9900 antenna frequency call ALINCO president display 6900 sign Mckinley callsign 2022 power lincoln
QRZ Database

PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC

Go down 
+7
The Doctor
NUBSTER
Tristar
Northern Crusader
Captain Kirk
stephen Gunrunner
redsprite
11 posters
AuthorMessage
redsprite
redsprite

Call Sign : 26-CT-3697
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : PRESIDENT MCKINLEY.RadioMoble / SIRIO GAINMASTER 5/8.Sigma Venom 1/2 wave.

president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Empty
PostSubject: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi all,

I have just purchased a PRESIDENT MCKINLEY. I have seen various reviews about this radio and ALL  are excellent,apart from a few who say the MIC  is the only thing that let's this radio down. Most say it sounds a bit muffled.

What are your views on this and would you recommend buying a better mic,if so WHICH  one? or can you even replace this mic?.

redsprite

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2020 1:57 pm

like most radios that are made and then they stick a 50p mic on them I change the mic to a power mic I have telcom 1000 power echo mics on all my radios from knights free batt and they put the plug on just remember to turn down the mic gain down as they sound awful but it make a very improved audio .

redsprite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Captain Kirk

Times Thanked : 1

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 3:09 pm

If you take apart the President mic it has a small electret capsule mounted if you were looking at the front of the mic in the top right corner not in the front behind the grille might be worth moving the capsule to the middle of the mic behind the grills bit of stiff card with a hole cut in it sand some foam might help

glenn dog, redsprite and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2020 9:59 pm

I bought a McKinley from Knights yesterday. First time using it today, got good audio reports with the stock mike both local and DX. Maybe it's something Doug does to them but no complaints from anyone I've talked to this evening.

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 10:59 am

Hi 👋🏻 
I’ve had my McKINLEY a while now. Not had any poor audio reports and I’m still using the standard mic. 
Mines from Nevada.

glenn dog and redsprite like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 3:08 pm

I've had great reports on the stock mic, in fact I normally use the Kpo nm532 power mic on all my radio's but not put it on this radio in the mobile as yet.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2020 7:54 pm

I had trouble with an electret power mic last week on the McKinley.
At the advice of Doug Knights, I switched the McK to “dynamic”.
From my own experiments using my scanner in receive, I set the McK’s mic gain to full (yes, full), then set the power mic (a cobra M75 ) to 2/3 power.
Job done.
Contacts now reporting nice clear audio with mic 1” from mouth, which is what I was after.

I speak fairly quietly, but have a deep voice so had to find a balance. The mics and radios cut certain upper and lower frequencies from your voice, so it seems a bit of a balancing act between mic setting, gain setting, distance of the mic from your mouth and how loudly you speak.......

Victor, redsprite and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
thestonerguy
thestonerguy

Call Sign : 2-CT-162 American Eagle 2014
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Texas US
Equipment Used : TS-2000, President Grant II Prem. Magnetic loop antenna

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 pm

redsprite wrote:
Hi all,

I have just purchased a PRESIDENT MCKINLEY. I have seen various reviews about this radio and ALL  are excellent,apart from a few who say the MIC  is the only thing that let's this radio down. Most say it sounds a bit muffled.

What are your views on this and would you recommend buying a better mic,if so WHICH  one? or can you even replace this mic?.

redsprite

I can't comment on the EU version (I'm Stateside) but the stock mic on my USA version has excellent audio  Smile

Back to top Go down
https://cbdaze.blogspot.com/
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Martin, I wouldn't worry overduly about it mate.
He hasn't been on here in a while, (judging by his posting statistics), but was quick to thank you before when you helped with his linears Smile

I was left feeling the same recently but quickly realised that often the first reply or even the last is the one read and thanked for when multiple replies are given. Just human nature I suppose? Kick in the teeth when you are the only reply and never acknowledged though.

Just remember, a lot get their callsign and never use the forum again and I assume even more start off excited then give it up as a bad lot. Radio is not exactly the instant reward/good feeling factor in an instantly gratifying push button modern world Wink

Have a look at your profile Martin, "Contributor", not "New member" and look at how many times you've been "Thanked".....
Goes to show what a valued member of Charlie Tango you are mate Smile

NUBSTER, redsprite, Tristar and gazza0702 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Lima alpha 1
Lima alpha 1

Call Sign : 108-CT-278
QTH or Location : Edinburgh
Equipment Used : President McKinley, crt 9900,kenwood480sat,RM KL 203P ,IMAX 2000,, president home base KP77 UBC360 cle scanner Albrecht 6110ae CRT 9900,Baufeng T5 Handheld

PostSubject: Mic change for McKinley   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi all had my McKinney for a while now actually this is number 2 the first one had reset itself from export mode and nobody new why so it,s back at uniden I,d imagine anyhow back to the mic , personally I don't bother with a power mic ,desk mic etc, keep the stock mic just turn the echo on thru channel selector turn the echo volume up and to 16 and the sustain down to 4 , it,s like turning the mic into a power mic try it and get sone reports before and after the difference is clear and saves you a few bucks into the bargaun after all the rig wasn't cheap to start with. Enjoy 73,s ,108CT278,

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:38 am

Some good info here, thanks , should be picking up my Mckinley today from the post office, had my eye on one for about a year now, price has gone down a bit at my local cb & Ham shop, so got one at last, will see how i get on with it, audio reports and so on.

56CT004
GLENN

Victor and redsprite like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:46 am

Hi Glenn,

I bet you're buzzing with excitement at picking up your new rig! Smile

From all accounts it does seem to be a very good radio and any so called 'niggles' have been successfully worked around using the radio's vast programmable settings.

You'll have to let us all know how you get on with it.

We didn't hear anything further from our prize draw winner who won the McKinley which was a shame, so would be nice to hear someone's personal opinion.

I really hope you enjoy your new radio. Smile

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 am

Will let you know asap on how it works.
All the best from a wet Finland.

Victor and redsprite like this post

Back to top Go down
redsprite
redsprite

Equipment Used : PRESIDENT MCKINLEY.RadioMoble / SIRIO GAINMASTER 5/8.Sigma Venom 1/2 wave.

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 pm

Yeah just to come back on that Martin.

I genuinely appreciate ALL  the reply's and advice that is offered. And was quick to thank people for their advice and comments.

Steph.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
redsprite
redsprite

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 10:28 pm

I am loving my Mckinley. Takes a bit of getting used to but it is very versatile and has some great features. I always get good reports on my audio,so any initial doubts I had about the mic are gone.

Steph.

glenn dog, Tommydarlo and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 am

Mine still in the post, should have it Monday all been well.

redsprite likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Well have been playing with the radio for a day now, very happy with it,the front panel feels better made than the Lincoln 2 pluss, was not that hard to set up from the menu, had good reports from local station on all bands, audio is nice on rx, got it linked to a JDI, jd-sb1  water proof speaker and it sounds great, the radio had a snug fit in to the Lincoln bracket in the shack, so i think it is good rig for my local radio, am is used a great deal here and usb is good in the evening for Finland,so now the Grant 2 and pluss2 are in the draw,Grant 2 does get out in the car, but with winter here soon, will stick to my Superstar Lord, easy to use radio for the car, all in all i would say a good 8 out of 10 for the Mckinley. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi Glenn,

Really pleased that you've now got your McKinley and seem to be getting on well with it Smile

Nice bit of feedback too for those contemplating getting one. I'm sure that rig will grow more and more on you.

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and redsprite like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Yes i am sure i will have many happy contacts on this radio, same post package new TTI 100, small hand held radio, well it is my birthday this week Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Nice one Glenn Smile

Enjoy your radios and have a great birthday mate!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC   president - PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PRESIDENT MCKINLEY MIC
Page 1 of 1