Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
list Sirio 2023 Mckinley president power ss9900 6900 lincoln Baofeng callsign antenna 9900 software chart display sign yaesu anytone supply 2022 call ALINCO Mobile meter frequency
QRZ Database

I'm looking for an advice on CB radio

Go down 
+3
Templar
Nik70UK
alexfraguk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alexfraguk

Call Sign : 26-CT-3711
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Liverpool
Equipment Used : Bafoeng

radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Empty
PostSubject: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Good afternoon guys

I'm looking to buy an entry level CB radio with antenna and I would like to know what are the best ones. Basketball
Wondering if it is good to have USB and LSB on it too  Question

Thanks in advance - CT-3711
Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

Call Sign : 26-CT-3648
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Camborne
Equipment Used : CRT SS7900

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 pm

There are many many setups Alex. It does obviously depend on price, whether you can install an external antenna etc etc. 
A lot of people are buying an SSB rig as you alluded to. Like the CRT range, which are rigs like the 6900, the 7900 and 9900. 
If you can, as a basic and informative guide, have a look at Fred in the Shed on YouTube. He doesn't profess to be an expert, but in my opinion is so enthusiastic and down to earth he makes thing quite easy to understand. 
I hope that helps a little, but I'm  sure many more people here will be able to put you on the right track.
Regards
Nik

glenn dog and alexfraguk like this post

Back to top Go down
alexfraguk

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:17 pm

TKS Nik for your kind support, i will have a look on these CRT models. QAP/QRV
Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:30 pm

No problem and I wish you well. For what's it's worth, i think joining a site like this and asking questions is the best way to start. I was here a good few months before i bought a rig. Read and watch as much as you can, then when you make a choice it will be an informed choice based on a lot of different opinions etc. Also, and probably quite important is where you are based.  Is there much local interest? Is there a local club or net that you can join? I live in the far south west, and to be honest I would not hear anything on a 40ch CB rig. Therefore I bought an SSB rig, with the thought that I want to get a ham licence in mind.
I wish you well in your research,  and to be honest it's the best thing you can do for a while until you have a bit of an idea of what you need and what's in your area.
All the best.
Nik

alexfraguk likes this post

Back to top Go down
alexfraguk

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:46 pm

tks, I;m based in Merseyside, a 80 channel, UK and Europe would be great...with SSB... so i may catch some blokes from Portugal....wondering the cheapest with ssb on it.
Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 8:29 pm

A vote/recomendation for the CRT 6900N here. Cracking rig.

Nik70UK and alexfraguk like this post

Back to top Go down
alexfraguk

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 9:29 pm

researching a bit and im not found many options with SSB. Some, the prices are bit high..wondering give up ssb for this time and get the CRT 2000 with a SIRIO antenna. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:02 pm

When it comes to antennas the more wire in the air you can get the better it'll be. If you're thinking about a mobile antenna look at the Sirio 4000 or 5000. For home base Sirio 827, Tornado 27 or if you're in a high wind area the Antron A99 or Imax 2000, both with the additional ground plane kit.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Super star 6900N,,,, the N version pushes 35 watts out the back of the box, but standard mic is very quiet, need a better mic,,,, antenna,,, A99 , silver rod, bazooka any 1/2 or 5/8 wave will do the job,,, but get it high and clear of buildings.

70thirds Tom  26-CZ455
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:10 pm

If you go for the A99 forget the ground plane and fit the firestick top section
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 7:49 am

6900 would be a good starter as you get both readouts freq/channel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 8:26 am

The 69 is more CB based then Ham so a lot easier to drive than say an Icom or Yaesu, Only thing I didn't like was the click type clarifier, they are a bit hit and miss, but to be fair never used it that much.  Only real bad point with the 69 is its standard mic,,,, in short ****.  put a good mic to it and youll have no probs.
 If however you intend to " Go Ham" down the line id look at radios like the Icom and Yaesu,,,, I know nowt about Icoms but can recommend the Yaesu 450D  Once wide banded you have a very fine entry level radio that will do everything the more expensive radios will do.. I cant speak for other bands ive not tried them, but im more than happy with my 450,,,, if you set things up right you can use the memory to give you channel selection,, very useful if your upgrading for CB,,,, plus you have 100watts straight out the back of the box,, build in ATU (very useful) and the filtering is first class... With the 450D theres no add ons.. just plug in and play..... yes the others are just as good,,, I just find the yaesu that bit easier to drive..

70thirds Tom
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 3:34 pm

I know the initial investment may cost a bit more but I would try to get SSB if I could it will open up so many more contqct options for you.
There are some good deals second hand if you check local ads like Facebook groups, Gumtree and the likes, I notice second hand gear can be overpriced on eBay as you can be bidding against 20 other buyers which forces the price up to close to the cost of new models.
Some people have bought a setup and given up witin a few days as they have made few contacts if any and there loss can be your gain!

73's

Alan

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 pm

26cz455 wrote:
If you go for the A99 forget the ground plane and fit the firestick top section

No just no. You need the ground plane kit as ALL end fed antennas need a RF ground because physics and in particular Kirchoffs Law. The only ones that don't are vertical dipoles like the Sirio Gainmaster. Forget the Firestik top section as any advantage it offers is unnoticeable in use.

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 3:54 pm

Quote :

Some people have bought a setup and given up witin a few days as they have made few contacts if any and there loss can be your gain!

73's

Alan
I couldn't agree more with Alan,  that's why I think it's an idea to see if there are any local nets around where you live then hopefully you will always have someone to have a chat to!

Alan - Mirror Man and alexfraguk like this post

Back to top Go down
alexfraguk

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 9:34 pm

I think this one is not too bad in terms of price. Very Happy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRT-SS-7900-SS7900-AT5555N-10-11M-CB-Radio-HAM-SSB-AM-FM-LSB-Pre-Programmed/124219875572?hash=item1cec14e0f4:g:PSkAAOSwcT1cknuK

Nik70UK likes this post

Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi Alex,

A little input from me as I bought this radio over the 6900 or 9900.

I decided to buy the 7900 not just due to the look of the large display but the size of buttons make it easier to use.

The display is nice and easy to read, the power output is sufficient to allow you to make decent DX contacts, the menu system isn't over complicated and it only pulls 6 - 7 amps on full chat. I would suggest a minimum 10amp psu at least to be sure.

The only downside to the radio is in my opinion the mic, I am told that I am softly spoken, therefore I needed to modify the inside of the mic by removing a little plastic to allow more of my audio to reach the small condenser mic inside. You can always buy a power mic instead though.

I also did a lot of searching for a decent antenna and decided on the Sirio 2016 using RG213 cable due to the 40mtr distance from radio to antenna.

The guys on here will always advise you on what has worked from them as well as what to stay away from and what you don't need, certainly worth taking it all in before dishing out your hard earned cash.

Wherever you decide to buy from, just make sure they have a decent reputation and if need be, you can call them or send the goods back if you have an issue. 

Good luck however you decide to take things forward.

73's

Graeme.

Alan - Mirror Man, Nik70UK, alexfraguk and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Nik70UK

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2020 12:17 pm

I agree with the radio choice Graeme. I know it doesn't kick out as many watts as the 9900, but I'm very very happy with it. I've had no negative comments regarding the mic, but I do think a power mic on SSB would be beneficial, and a fellow CT'er has done a YouTube video on that very subject.
73's
Nik

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm looking for an advice on CB radio   radio - I'm looking for an advice on CB radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm looking for an advice on CB radio
Page 1 of 1