Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
ALINCO 6900 supply call 2022 chart frequency software Mckinley list 9900 Mobile president anytone sign antenna lincoln display meter 2023 Sirio callsign power yaesu Baofeng ss9900
QRZ Database

Pleased as Punch!

Go down 
+5
Sgt Bilko
Paddy
Victor
tigersaw
Alan - Mirror Man
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 2:41 pm

As some of you know, I recently became a licensed operator having passed my foundation with the Essex Ham course which was recommended to me on this very site.

I am pleased to announce I have started making contacts with my very first one being the Stirling and District Amateur Radio Society GM6NX who were out portable on 2m at the peak of Ben Lomond (a good 50km away from me) Pleased as Punch! Downlo13with a radio, batteries, solar panels and a Yagi they hoisted all the way up there and I just made my first HF contact on 20m who was another recently licenced operator called Martin M7IMA down in Bristol.

To say I am pleased as Punch is an understatement, I wouldn't have done it without the support and encouragement from other Charlie Tango members on the forum, I really can't thank you enough guys for giving me the push I needed to take the test which I sailed through!

I meant to say my new call-sign is MM7AXH but I think 11m will always be my first love, it is where I come from and I will have no shame in telling others that either!

73's 

Alan

Sydthecat, GaryWilson, dav6252, Paddy, Victor, djones, Swadeyboy and 2121 like this post

Back to top Go down
tigersaw
tigersaw

Call Sign : 163-CT-256 GW6RRL
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Llanwrtyd Wells Powys
Equipment Used : CRT7900, FT891, FT818, Pro3

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 3:40 pm

well done and please keep up the real qso's, dont fall down the FT8 hole and never come back

Alan - Mirror Man and Amigo710 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 3:55 pm

tigersaw wrote:
well done and please keep up the real qso's, dont fall down the FT8 hole and never come back
Thank you, although I am interested in setting up for the digital modes including FT8 and have the Data interface for my rig, my love of radio is based upon chatting to others on it when I DX I like to try and have a conversation with the person and not just a quick radio report as I hear many others doing at times.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Hi Alan,

Great to hear about your pass, getting your call sign and above all enjoying the experience.
Also nice to hear your great attitude regarding CB and the love of a real vocal person to person transmission.

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 3:41 am

Well done Alan, glad you are enjoying your start on the Ham bands. there is a all world of different parts to try.
This hobby has given me years of fun, you will find the parts that you like best. 
once again welcome to Amateur radio.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 10:38 am

Thank you very much, I spent much of yesterday crawling about in my loft doing a stealth installation of a ZS6BKW upgrading from the half size G5RV antenna I had been using to listen on the various bands.

I am still waiting for a 1 to 1 balun to arrive but I have it connected up with a air choke at the moment and it tunes up great and has really lit some of the bands up for me.

Even though this is a compromise installation I don't think anybody would be dissapointed with the results I am getting which in this day and age of strict antenna rules and nieghbours who like to complain at anything at all should give others hope if they are facing strict regulations.

I am clearly a little long in the tooth for crawling around dark and dusty loft spaces as I have several aches and pains today but it has most deffinately been a very worth while endeavour!

73's

Alan
Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 am

Congratulations Alan, I love being a Ham there is so much scope for different things to try. As you say I also love 11m as it’s where I started and also thanks to the encouragement of a CT member of yesteryear (M0WIT). I’ve never worked him but do see his APRS packets, lol.

Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Congrats Alan. Now get yourself registered on qrz.com.

Paul.

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 10:12 am

Nice one Alan and all good stuff 

Maybe catch you on the short skip 20m 

Well done 👍 

Craig 73

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Thank you guys, my 1 to 1 balun arrived and I finished fine tuning my ZS6BKW yesterday, this antenna resonates on several bands and I am really taken aback by it's performance so far.

I have been reprogramming my handies and CRT Micron with the 2M channels, 70CM, PMR and all the Scottish repeaters (you never know where you may end up) so far I have created image files in CHIRP for the Baofeng UV82 and CRT Micron with this line up so if anybody would like them it will save you a couple of hours of programming (at least).

Having invested in the Mini60 antenna analyser I now wonder how I ever managed without one, I am sure I would have managed but what a cracking bit of kit at a reasonable price too.

I look forward to catching each and every one of you across the bands at some point and will listen out for you!

73's

Alan

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Adam17

Call Sign : 26-CT-2910
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bedfordshire
Equipment Used : Midland 48 plus & baofeng uv-9r era & UV-5R3

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 6:49 am

Congratulations chap.

Enjoy the wide world of the bands.

Adam
M7LRO

Back to top Go down
2e0sbs

Call Sign : 26-CT-3773
QTH or Location : West Lavington. Wiltshire
Equipment Used : Realistic TRC 3000 Homebase, 2 x Colt 295, Maxcom, Binatone Route 66, Yaesu FT DX 1200, Kenwood Trio 520s

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 7:43 am

Well done Alan. Many congratulations.  Enjoy, now head for Intermediate License ..more power. Cool Cool

73s

Tony

2EOSBS

Back to top Go down
http://www.QRZ.COM/db/2e0sbs/qrz.com
Amigo710
Amigo710

Call Sign : 26-CT-3679
QTH or Location : Thame, Oxfordshire
Equipment Used : Retevis PMR. and CB

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: 11 meters    Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2020 8:15 am

Hi Alan,
Congratulations, and I say that with a little envious tone LOL, CB is where it all started for me as well, been contemplating taking the foundation for a long time, so am now doing the Essex Ham course, I have booked my exam for October so fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2020 8:10 am

Thanks guys, the intermediate handbook arrived the other day as electronics features a bit more I was thinking of picking up some hobby electronics kits, I used to build them as a kid but I have forgotten most if what I learned if honest.

I found a chap on Etsy who does lovely crystal and single valve radio kits they really are a thing of beauty something you would be proud to have on display. I will leave a link as I am sure some of you will appreciate these kits they really are very good indeed:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/BORDENRADIO

With a background in CB/11m Amigo, I don't see you going far wrong, you will already have a good grasp of much of the curriculum, it was licencing conditions, band plans and call signs I needed guidance with and the Essex Ham course is very good indeed.

One pointer I would give is: pause the videos and make some notes, draw the diagrams out it really helps to imprint things on your memory, much more than watching the footage and reading the handbook alone I found.
I have every confidence you will pass they have an extremely high convertion ratio of students to licence holders!

73's

Alan

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pleased as Punch! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleased as Punch!   Pleased as Punch! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pleased as Punch!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: