Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» anytone ss 9900
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
. repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
antenna anytone software list display power lincoln Sirio 2023 Mckinley ALINCO 9900 meter 6900 ss9900 2022 yaesu frequency Mobile call supply president chart Baofeng callsign sign
QRZ Database

. repeaters etc etc

Go down 
+4
Tim Tom
Alan Pilot
NUBSTER
26ct954
8 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

. repeaters etc etc Empty
PostSubject: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 1:03 pm

I have been listening on 433. Which is obviously 70cm, it appears to me they are using repeater's, and hub net, surely this similar to ham isphere, this to me is a complete waste of time, 40years ago is all about using ionosphere, to get decent contacts, quote me if I am wrong, if this is the case I am not going to be looking at the foundation course, just stay on the dark side when I have got round to sorting it all out again...
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 1:35 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
Alot of it is on repeaters on 70cms and on 2m theres is a thing called Echo Link which is basically done through the internet but still using the radio , I took my test Foundation and failed it through personal reasons,  I'm the same as you radio should be antenna to antenna, I know they do it that way also on Amateur but most who do have nice big antennas ,most properly someone will come alone and explain it better in more detail, but I do understand your thoughts.
I was going to start the course today, I am not holding out much hope, just getting ready to order a crt6900n, got a old 5/8 silver rod out of moth balls looking ok, need a big pole lol, not the best weather to go climbing up ladders.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 2:21 pm

Plenty of action antenna to antenna on the 40m and 20m bands.
I paid just short of £140 for a multi band HF antenna but find myself on 40m using a 10 meter length of wire about 16ft up in the air it is as long as i can fit in my garden but was i surprised how well it works.
I use 2m to talk to m8's local don't bother with repeaters as that is cheating to me lol.

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 2:49 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Plenty of action antenna to antenna on the 40m and 20m bands.
I paid just short of £140 for a multi band HF antenna but find myself on 40m using a 10 meter length of wire about 16ft up in the air it is as long as i can fit in my garden but was i surprised how well it works.
I use 2m to talk to m8's local don't bother with repeaters as that is cheating to me lol.
that's exactly what I thought cheating, but didn't want to mention it, I thought some people might take offence
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 4:06 pm

Can't believe it a prat playing music on 2m calling channel.
Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pm

I agree not a fan of repeaters etc, for proper radio you'd be better off with HF

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 11:34 pm

Tim Tom wrote:
I agree not a fan of repeaters etc, for proper radio you'd be better off with HF
sounds good haven't got the foundation done yet, slow going...
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2020 11:53 pm

I think Amateur (and CB to an extent) is whatever you make it.  There is no right or wrong way to do it (Within your regs), just personal preference, and whatever you personally want to do.

I like HF, and rarely bother with repeaters, but I don't regard it as cheating, just distance extension, as it is still antenna to antenna (to antenna)...and 2m SSB weak signal stuff is yet another variation for VHF.

I personally don't see much point in linked repeaters for hobby comms, whether IRLP, DSTAR, DMR or C4FM....but plenty do, and let's not forget, it all keeps the bands in use and the hobby alive, so good on them.

Then you have voice vs CW, vs. digital modes.  Again, no right and wrong.

Foundation gives you plenty of opportunity for "proper radio" however you choose to define it...so don't let a dislike of repeaters put you off...no one will make you buy a 2m/70cm radio if you don't want to! 

The other plus of Foundation over CB is getting the lower bands so you can easily do regional comms out to a few hundred miles when there is no DX about.  The nature of CB/11m makes that next to impossible, and on VHF it's the exception as opposed to a normal day on 80m.

The most important take-away is to simply do what interests you and have fun.  20m and 40m are coming alive at the moment, so don't delay! Very Happy

Sydthecat, MarcFX and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 1:02 pm

26ct954 wrote:
I was going to start the course today, I am not holding out much hope, just getting ready to order a crt6900n, got a old 5/8 silver rod out of moth balls looking ok, need a big pole lol, not the best weather to go climbing up ladders.

That's fine. And when you're sat there on 11m hearing nowt because conditions are poor, go fire up your web browser, go listen to Hack Green WebSDR on the amateur bands and listen to all that lovely DX you're missing on 20m and 40m. 

And then in summer when your freeview TV gets knocked by atmospherics there's all that lovely DX you'll be missing on the 6m, 2m and 70cm bands.
Back to top Go down
MarcFX
MarcFX

Call Sign : 26CT2627, M7ARQ, 2E0GKF
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : North Somerset
Equipment Used : GrantII (Standard), CRT SS9900, FT817ND, UV5R (x2), GD-77 (x2), TYT UV9000E, ANYTONE AT-D578UV, I-COM IC-705.

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 11:28 pm

26ct954 wrote:
I have been listening on 433. Which is obviously 70cm, it appears to me they are using repeater's, and hub net, surely this similar to ham isphere, this to me is a complete waste of time, 40years ago is all about using ionosphere, to get decent contacts, quote me if I am wrong, if this is the case  I am not going to be looking at the foundation course, just stay on the dark side when I have got round to sorting it all out again...

There has been little DX for a few years due to Solar minimum. The natural solar cycle and lack of propagation.
The UK is blessed by having 600+ Amateur radio repeaters. Many but not all are internet linked. Many digital modes are encompassed (DMR, D-Star, Fusion, etc). You don't have to use them.

The Higher frequencies aren't good for long distance. Signals are line of sight. Repeaters extend the range.

As propagation improves I would expect people to move more back to HF.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2020 11:36 am

if you have a good repeater use it it helps with hobby, i am not a fan of repeaters but i would not abuse them, as you here them on further down the country and on you tube, yes you can get
a little further out and when things line up on the mid bands you can use the repeaters on mid bands and they work all of the eu

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2020 12:58 pm

NUBSTER wrote:
stephen Gunrunner wrote:
if you have a good repeater use it it helps with hobby, i am not a fan of repeaters but i would not abuse  them, as you here them on further down the country and on you tube, yes you can get
a little further out and when things line up on the mid bands you can use the repeaters on mid bands and they work all of the eu
There only one problem ,the mid band on CB does not have repeaters in  fact CB/11m doesn't have or use repeaters at all .
Exactly what i thought but people can dream lol.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: . repeaters etc etc   . repeaters etc etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

. repeaters etc etc
Page 1 of 1