Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
president lincoln meter yaesu ss9900 2022 Baofeng Mobile Sirio 2023 sign ALINCO software power chart 9900 frequency call display callsign 2024 Mckinley 6900 anytone list antenna
QRZ Database

Earth rod cable etc

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-954, M7PLD..
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ellesmere Port
Equipment Used : icom 718,cobweb,anytone 667,

Earth rod cable etc Empty
PostSubject: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm

Just found the earthing rods on toolstation what's the best size cable to go to the clamp, I noticed on some of the videos they mention keeping it short I need a run of about 10 feet, can you use one cable, one coming off hf set and one off auto tuner joined and one going through the wall hope that makes sense
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 pm

This is what i have used recently and soldered eye's ??/ on the ends. 
I have also used 4mm version of the same in the past well it is still in use on another job.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Conduit-Cable-Yellow-Supplementary/dp/B01N25PDUG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36G799OVKZVBX&dchild=1&keywords=6mm+earth+cable&qid=1611091063&sprefix=6mm+eart%2Clighting%2C151&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089DJCC3L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Best to run each piece of equipment to a single point, and then have that go to the ground wire leading to the earth rod.  What you're suggesting is effectively daisy chaining, and isn't recommended.

I'd use much bigger than 4mm cable, because for a RF ground, it's surface area you're after.  I use braid from old RG8 coax, but I'm lucky in that my office is close to an outside wall, so a few metres gets me through the wall to the ground rod.

I'm running a 12v solar station though (Until I hook the amp up) so I don't need to care about whether this needs to also connect to the AC safety ground, which seems to be the biggest point of contention...and where you're pretty much governed by your wiring regs.

There are some good videos and articles on station grounding here...just remember their National Electric Code is almost certainly going to be different from current UK regs, which I'm 15 years out of date on...so don't do anything that impacts safety or wiring standards, or God forbid, your insurance! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJxObTNbck

https://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm

glenn dog, Victor and 26ct954 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 7:47 am

I have the 4mm from each bit of kit going to a ??? buzz bar thing i found years ago.
It's like 1 long solid wire connector with about 10 holes and then thicker wire from that to the rod down all it's length apart from 2/3" and bolted to it.

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 7:57 am

Thanks are you using 4mm to the rod from the buzz bar
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 8:45 am

For some examples of RF grounding including problems that can be faced take a look at the following link :-

Flexradio RF grounding

For a brief insight into UK earthing systems the following link explains well :-

Electrical Apprentice - Earthing & Bonding

Some radio Hams wire up the whole shebang and bang in an earthing rod believing "jobs a good'un". Others will go to the fuss of burying multiple run cables under their lawn etc. believing the same......

.....observationally, they got away with it.

Listen to the same Hams when they make transmissions. Whilst running 'barefoot' they sound fine and when they switch on the linears they sound terrible! All sorts of lengthy conversations abound on 160m & 80m surrounding the possibilities of IMD, linearity, etc. etc.

The same with reception, your counterpart complains of S7-8 of hash and can't copy you whilst you look at your lowly S3-4 of hash thinking perhaps there's something wrong with your setup......even though you can hear them well. 
Perhaps they have a noise inducing earth connectivity and you don't Wink

For me personally I treat 'RF Ground' as a totally different subject to electrical 'Earth Ground'.

In fact I prefer the 'Counterpoise' method which has been happily utilised for over a hundred years! 
Dipoles come with their own 'counterpoise' as it's the other half of the antenna. I've only ever ran an end fed with a suitably long counterpoise successfully and hence my appreciation for the lowly dipole. If sticking a ground earth connection into the back of your rig bounces your signal hash up by several S-points....check how much it actually makes a received signal jump....you may well just be adding noise rather than signal.

Anyway, the links may provide some help and my personal opinions may just start heady debates. Wink

Each to their own.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 am

26ct954 wrote:
Thanks are you  using 4mm to the rod from the buzz bar
No the thicker from the bar to the rod.

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
26ct954
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 10:21 am

Can I use 4mm going to a F plug, is it OK to use coax as the main line to the ground rod
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 10:32 am

26ct954 wrote:
Can I use 4mm going  to a F  plug,  is it OK to use coax as the main line to the  ground  rod
Not sure on that.
It's a lot easier to use the cable i put the link to well it was for me but you might get it a lot cheaper if you look around.
I only use Amazon as it is easier for me with my disability just one click and it comes through the door next day lol.  
My son will help me but he has no idea you have to stand by him and tell him what to do.

26ct954 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Earth rod cable etc   Earth rod cable etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Earth rod cable etc
Page 1 of 1