Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
scammers again Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
scammers again Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
scammers again Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
scammers again Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
supply sign frequency display meter call power 2022 lincoln Mckinley yaesu 6900 2023 list Mobile chart ss9900 ALINCO anytone antenna Baofeng Sirio president software 9900 callsign
QRZ Database

scammers again

Go down 
+8
Pagan
Scan125
Seasick
Alan - Mirror Man
Daywalker
John123
Victor
rabbi
12 posters
AuthorMessage
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 12:22 pm

hi my wife sarah m6pii was scamed 2 weeks ago for 500.00 she got her money back these peole are very clever get your mobile number  bank info yesterday i got a call the same sarah new that the voice  i slamed the phone down there call this site team veiwer all ways get there number on your on your phone  i was told that these scamers  have become riff there pick on  vunrable people and empty  a persons money  i was told this is rife since the covid i bought sarah a new 480sat  she loves it thank you for looking stay safe do radio paul m0kbd pale

rabbi and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Plenty of scammers about Paul and they're insidious sods. Evil or Very Mad

Glad you got sorted and what a lucky lady your wife is, nice new Kenwood! Smile

All the best mate,
Victor

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 pm

Glad you got it sorted, Paul.👍

Back to top Go down
Daywalker
Daywalker

Call Sign : 26-CT-3856
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Kingston Upon Hull
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2021 9:25 am

My paypal was hacked last year and because my bank account is linked to it they emptied £400 out of my savings and then closed the paypal account down hoping I wouldn't be able to do anything but luckily I received an email saying I paid this person that amount that brought it to my attention. I contacted paypal and explained what had happened and their fraud squad investigated it and 24hrs later I had my money back. (my bank were also contacted but they said paypal are on the ball and will sort it and theres no point investigating from there end as it would interfere with paypals) The lesson I learnt is have a separate bank account for online purchases that is empty and only transfer money to that account as and when you make purchases. Might be a bit of a faff but keeps my money safe. 73's Glen

rabbi, Paddy and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2021 9:42 am

hi thanks for everyones reply we had 2 more calls yesterday very convicing i put the phone down but got there numbers yes both different we will only now reply to messages carefully we has our loacal 2 meter lockdown net its been running for 365 days over 70 stations we have made a lot of great qso sarah has a lot of operating as 1 of 3 yls we hope to have a face to face meet uo when the corvid lockdown ends o i want to have ago of sarahs 480sat this week end thank for your help paul and sarah m0kbd m6pii stay safe do radio on our teesside net 11 on a morning 145.450

Back to top Go down
Alan - Mirror Man
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan - Mirror Man

Call Sign : 108CT233
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Central Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 Beofeng UV5R Yaesu FTDX1200 CRT Micron CRT FP00 Sattelite 2000 antenna ZS6BKW X30 co-linear

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 am

It is rife, I have heard many similar tales and had the fishing texts and emails that lead to this sort of thing too, I had a very convincing one from Barclays bank, the thing that gave it away is it's probably one of the only banks I have never used over the years.
It is time (sadly) to be a little more discerning who you take calls from, if you dont know the number don't answer it, if you dont recognise the sender delete it.

Have a card for online use, load it up when you are going to use it or a seperate account as already mentioned. These people rely on your good manners, they use them against you, the structured presentations these criminals use are not unlike sales presentations and many of the same techniques are used by them as are used in sales and marketing especially by less scrupulous companies over the years.
If you don't speak to them they have no way in, dont be polite and compliant when some man with a heavy West African accent calls claiming to be from the bank calls you, tell them where to get off instead.

If you look into African scams you will hear lots of harrowing tales as it's one of their favourites it seems, they even sent a courier out for mum's old friends card and pin number which they bullied her into giving them on the phone.
Their manner is another giveaway it may start polite and profesional but that never lasts, they soon become aggressive and demanding.
I have recently changed my own telephone number as once you start getting these types of calls it just increases or has done for me at least.
Familiarise yourself with these scams, it is often women or the elderly they target as they are a 'softer touch' it seems, for myself it now means I no longer take calls from those I don't know.

The software to hack your devices has now become so advanced they only have to call your phone, even if you dont answer they are in, fortunately that one is only in the hands of the security services and it is good old fashioned deception they are using for these scams. Your number one defense against this type of threat is your own awareness, if you understand how they operate it will stand out to you when it happens as unfortunately it is no longer "If" but "when" these days. Here is a link to the Which guide of popular banking scams, changed days!

Five banking scams to watch out for in 2021 – Which? News
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/5-banking-scams-to-watch-out-for-in-2021/

scammers again Screen13

Daywalker likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am

I recently had a call from The Insulation Advisory Group. A male called Chris said who he was from & I asked who they advised for & was told he was new. I then asked did they not train you very well & received a stuttering 2 or 3 word reply that made no sense. So who do you work for Chris & silence. 

Looking online the Insulation Advisory Group are fraudsters & Chris who I spoke to was a computer generated response system.  Hence why he could only answer simple questions.

Back to top Go down
Scan125
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-8080
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Wrexham, North Wales
Equipment Used : MAXON 1000, AlincoDX-R8, Lowe HF150, Uniden UBC125XLT & UBC75XLT, SDRplay RSPduo

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2021 5:17 pm

What amazes me is that for you/me to get a phone number we have to prove who we are and having billing address info etc.

It is my understanding that BT/Others sell "blocks/groups of numbers" and ask no questions.  This is why when you do a reverse call lookup etc. NO INFORMATION comes back.  This is how I gather these scammers/fraudsters/etc. get away with it.  You can't complain to Ofcom because you make complaints about Companies and not phone numbers.

rabbi and Jez.Fox like this post

Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 pm

This is a handy site for finding out who a "suspicious" caller is:

http://uk.whocalledme.net/

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Woody
Woody

Call Sign : 26-CT-4051
QTH or Location : Rochester
Equipment Used : SS6900N

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 pm

Lucky escape Paul, If in doubt always put down the phone and call the real company back. You can get your local branch number from the net. Never give personal details away

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Seasick
Contributor
Contributor
Seasick

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Norfolk
Equipment Used : Uniden BCT 15X

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 am

Woody wrote:
Lucky escape Paul, If in doubt always put down the phone and call the real company back. You can get your local branch number from the net. Never give personal details away

They can bypass you hanging up & redialling, to talk to the legitimate company, using a legitimate number. In fact some fraudsters  will ask you to do just that. As due to the way telephone exchanges work, if they do not hang up, then when you redial, you reconnect to the scammers. 

If in doubt, always try to use a different phone. Or if you cannot use a different phone leave it 15 minutes, at least, before dialling the legitimate number. 

The waiting time, is not related to how long they can keep the line open. It is related to how long they will probably wait. And if you call to quickly, they know who you are calling & just pretend to be them. 

The following is from Equifax, the credit reference company. 

[url=https://www.equifax.co.uk/resources/identity-protection/dealing-with-phishing-phone-scams.html#:~:text=If you can%2C call them,before you make another call.]https://www.equifax.co.uk/resources/identity-protection/dealing-with-phishing-phone-scams.html#:~:text=If%20you%20can%2C%20call%20them,before%20you%20make%20another%20call.[/url]

Quote :
If you’re worried, get the name of the person you’re speaking to, hang up and call the organisation directly. If you can, call them from a different phone as scammers can keep the phone line open. This means they can stay on the line and still hear you, even if you’ve ‘hung up’ on them. If it’s not possible to use another phone then wait for at least 10 minutes before you make another call.

rabbi and Jez.Fox like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Sounds like you've opened that file I sent you.
For USD$1,000,000. You can have your business back.
scammers again Downlo10

The scams are getting bigger, big business and governments are being held for ransom.
Business and Gov IT should be kept separate from the internet where ever possible. That's what the military do, all the important IT is completely "off grid".

rabbi, Alan - Mirror Man and A5H5ATAN1C like this post

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2021 10:32 am

I'm actually quite intrigued, there were a few 747's in there but I get the basic idea. Your almost sounding like the Hannibal Lecter of the audio world.
I have a phone app that plays sound frequencies, its claimed hz range id from 1hz to 22000hz there are some extremely unpleasant pitches in there, some barely are audible but induce ringing in your ears that can last for a long time.

Back to top Go down
2NC556
2NC556

Call Sign : 2-CT-189
QTH or Location : Silver Hill, North Carolina
Equipment Used : Anytone AT-6666 (2), Uniden Washington, Uniden Grant XL, Dave Made, Texas Star, Palomar, Gray, Turner +3, D104, Siltronix 1011D, A-99, I/2 wave horizontal Wire Dipoles, Diawa Croos Needle (2)

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2021 6:24 pm

My brother-in-law was recently scammed $12,000+ US Dollars from his bank account here in the USA.  The Scammer had a fake driver's license with his (the scammer's) picture ID and fake address on it.  

The scammer was at a bank 900+- miles (1448+- kilometers) from where my BIL lives when the money was withdrawn.  Was the info stolen from my BIL's cellphone?  Nobody seems to know.

One week ago the money had not been recovered or refunded and the crook remains uncaught.

2/CT/189

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

scammers again Empty
PostSubject: Re: scammers again   scammers again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scammers again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: News and Announcements :: Latest News-
Jump to: