Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
power meter Mckinley 2022 call software list 6900 display ss9900 Mobile anytone callsign Sirio supply 9900 lincoln president sign 2023 frequency chart antenna ALINCO yaesu Baofeng
QRZ Database

Women and amateur radio

Go down 
+3
SangueG
rabbi
26uk81
7 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Women and amateur radio Empty
PostSubject: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 pm

I cannot speak for the ham side of things, but on CB it is quite rare to hear women.   Usually when I hear or speak to ladies on air, they are in tow with their husbands.   Today I was pondering this.   I can speculate on a couple of reasons:

Image:  Probably a preconception held by many men as well as women, it's for lonely old men sat in their garden sheds.    It is seen by many as either dated or very nerdy or in some cases down right "weird".   I remember my then 13 year old girl cousin turning up at my nan's (where I lived at the time) who enquired "WHAT ARE you doing?" when she saw me putting my mast up in a tree.   I explained to her what CB radio was and in typical teenage fashion, she simply replied "you're weird!"  

Tradition:   Sadly, I think there are still many old fashioned precepts about the sorts of things men and women get involved in.   I work in IT and my current workplace is very diverse with many women at all levels, however in most places when I was contracting, it was mainly men.   I sometimes think that even today, a lot of girls are encouraged, sometimes unintentionally to be interested in "girly" things and sadly, any technical curiosity they have is not stimulated enough.   I am a firm believer that women are just as capable as men in all manner of things, minus certain physical differences.    However, I think certain preconceptions still exist in the minds of both sexes.

I can probably count on one hand the amount of women I have spoken to on CB, and never hear any women from the UK calling on 27.555, although one or two from the continent.  It always pleases me when John and Maxine put their daughter on the key during nets, hopefully they give her the bug!

So are there any regular ladies on the CB or ham bands in your area?    Do you get more ladies on the ham bands than what you do on CB?   Can you think of any other reasons than those I've speculated that more women don't get into radio?
Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 8:21 am

hi my wife sarah and 2 other ladies as well we live in teesside  my  wife passed her foundation licence now has the callsign m6pii she operates on 2 meters and hf most days  she has a new ts 480 sat ok not as many ladies on ham radio but  many are members of bylara and sarah  joins in on the local net on 145.450 most days at 11.00 most mornings thanks for looking stay safe do radio 73s from sarah m6pii and me paul m0kbd

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 8:36 am

From my SWL of the HF Ham bands I can honestly say I have not heard even one woman in the last couple of years, so rabbi, great to hear, I will have to keep a listen out for your wife. Does she have a HF band she frequents more than others? I don’t currently have equipment to listen to vhf and uhf though, so not sure if any women use those around here.

Regarding CB, as I remember, there always used to be more men than women back in more popular times, but the balance was more evenly matched. A lot of families used, so often wives came on the mic and daughters too.

We had a local group that met in a pub function room regularly and it was close to a 50/50 mix of both sexes that turned up. Also had group outings.. including a bus load to a theme park which had a fair ratio mix too.

I actually met my wife for the first time via the radio way back then Smile Her mother had a handle too and was on regularly. We used to go out mobile with a few other friends who had cars to local view points and do a little DX on Fri and Saturday nights as part of our other evening activities.. never thought of it as being nerdy at the time. Also became friends with a girl in Italy during a time when conditions were at their peak initially from a call out on the T5, spoke a good many times on the radio, then became pen pals for a while (pre internet).

Coming back to it now, my wife has zero interest. If anything it causes issues, like this morning she mentioned about buying some more lights for the garden and I expressed my displeasure as they make the radio unusable (you can guess how that convo panned out).

I don’t hear many locals on full stop, and none have been women. The locals I do hear are just a few that sound like they have been on for ever and know each other very well, the others seem to talk very Ham radioish about building antennas, winding coils etc, and I can see how that isn’t going to be a fun evening convo for people like my wife who just likes chatting with the women next door about "normal things". I guess I could suggest they all get CB walkie talkies, but they have their Facetime on their phones so I can’t see me winning any of them over to the air again any time soon Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 10:23 am

There a few Ladies on the HF bands if you listen.
Only one name comes to mind and that's Maria and she looks like to be around 20 or early 20's anyway from her picture on QRZ.
But i have had contact with 5 or 6 in the last few months but i am not on all the time.
Don't know about cb as nobody on round my location at all.
Back to top Go down
Tim Tom
Contributor
Contributor
Tim Tom

Call Sign : 26-SW-010 / 26-TM-087
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Somerset
Equipment Used : Kernow beta 4100 mobile for now...

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 10:32 am

From seeing a few videos on YouTube I notice that a lot more Eastern Europe - Russian women seem to be a part of the hobby than over here which is fair enough, each to their own.
Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2021 12:30 pm

we need more young older ladies on the air its no longer a male hobby and to them that pass the foundation well done and a whole new freqs to use but if you started on the cb do not for get your roots still use the cb i do like my cb radio and i am into buying a 4m radio and a new antenna for the home and the car ,
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2021 8:50 am

We've got a few over here...mainly husband and wife "teams" but the ladies I know are advanced (full) calls and very accomplished operators in their own right.

It is very much a male dominated hobby though, as you say.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Women and amateur radio   Women and amateur radio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Women and amateur radio
Page 1 of 1