Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
call 6900 yaesu chart callsign Baofeng 2022 Sirio anytone antenna display 2023 ss9900 sign list Mckinley power software ALINCO Mobile lincoln president frequency 9900 supply meter
QRZ Database

President McKinley

Go down 
+4
Tristar
Northern Crusader
glenn dog
26uk81
8 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Mckinley - President McKinley Empty
PostSubject: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 am

I have recently purchased one of these and am quite enjoying this radio.  I wasn't sure which forum to post it in but decided on this one as I have done the export mod.

What I like:

• It fits neatly into the little storage "cubby hole" on top of the dash of my X Trail with the lid partly closed - this should give it some shade from sunlight.   In an ideal world I would DIN mount it, but there is no spare slot and I quite like the onboard stereo / navigation so do not intend on replacing it.   

• I've had great radio reports with it on all modes.   

• I love the fact that it has a front facing speaker.  This works out great for me as with my old 6900N I didn't have a decent tidy option for mounting the external speaker.  Also, I had some issues with vehicle QRM and the external speaker was making it worse.   I also quite like the front facing mike socket, however, rather ironically,  I think I am going to to have to fit a right angle mike connector in order to keep the lead from obscuring the navigation / entertainment screen and partially blocking my view of the S meter.   

• The "span" mode is great and offers a great hybrid way of working between frequencies, bands and channels.

What I don't like:

• Some of the options such as RF power can be a bit fiddly to access.

• The frequency font is tiny!    Does anyone know if an external frequency counter could be wired up to this rig?

• The price!   However, I think this radio has much nicer aesthetics than the Anytone 6666N / CRT 9900 I was considering.  The latter definitely has a bit of an old skool car radio / cassette player look as someone else described on another forum.   

In summary:

All in all I am happy with this radio and it is an ideal match for my vehicle and installation location.  As with any radio I buy, there are always things which I wish were different but you can't have it all, certainly not at this price point.

Sgt Bilko, morris, glenn dog, StevieG, Wirecutter, Tristar, SangueG and bubbles like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Happy with mine, had it for just 1 year and working well, done no mods to it.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 am

More late night musings after a bottle of wine...

I suppose the way I would compare the Anytone/clones and the Mckinley would be to say that the Anytone/clones are low end amateur radios (although rarely used by licenced hams on ham bands) whereas the Mckinley and similar are high end CBs, hence the large channel readout and small frequency display.   Indeed the Mckinley is a "type approved" set, at least it was before I snipped the white wire and moved the jumper cap. Is this a fair analysis?

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Quote :

What I don't like:

• The price!   

Radios have fallen in price over the decades. You get infinitely more for your money than you used to decades ago.

If you go on a historic price calculator £230 you can buy a McKinley for in todays money is the equivalent to what £75 was at the height of the CB craze in 1985. That back then would buy you a straight 40 FM rig with nothing more than volume, squelch, RF gain, maybe Mic gain and a channel selector.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:36 am

Totally agree.
In 1981 I had just left school and was earning £30 per week for 40 hours. I think it was 1982/3 that I bought a NATO 2000 for £120!
You certainly can’t complain about the price of rigs at that comparison.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 10:15 am

Round about 1980 i spent the mortgage money one month on a 148GTL-DX.
The divorce came many years later but i recon radio had a lot to do with it lol.

Sgt Bilko, Tristar and awake1 like this post

Back to top Go down
26CT8162
26CT8162

Call Sign : 26CT8162
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK
Equipment Used : ALBRECHT AE5890 EU, IMAX2000

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 pm

I will be buying a President McKinley soon.

What is the export mod? I just mainly need the UK 40 FM & 27.555 USB.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm

26CT8162 wrote:

Hi 26CT8162,The export spec for the President McKinley is 24.715 - 30.105 Mhz.
12W AM,20W FM and 12W SSB.
I hope that was what you were asking.
Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
26CT8162
26CT8162

Call Sign : 26CT8162
QTH or Location : Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK
Equipment Used : ALBRECHT AE5890 EU, IMAX2000

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
26CT8162 wrote:

Hi 26CT8162,The export spec for the President McKinley is 24.715 - 30.105 Mhz.
12W AM,20W FM and 12W SSB.
I hope that was what you were asking.
Tom.
26 CT 4029

Yes thank you very much for the info.
Back to top Go down
Cropper
Cropper

Call Sign : 26-CT-3339
QTH or Location : Darlington co Durham
Equipment Used : Comtrom f40 homebase Albrecht mobile

PostSubject: 27.555   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2022 9:44 am

Hi I just fitted a president McKinley in my car it's a lovely radio but I can't seam to find the 27.555. it's a expanded one From knights. Anyone else having the thiss problem. Thank you 26CT3339 Andy
Back to top Go down
welshwizard1971

Call Sign : 26-CT-4402
QTH or Location : Southampton
Equipment Used : Mobile 10m / CB

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 2:16 pm

I see a lot of McKinleys for sale second hand and now I know why, I bought one and sold it on in two weeks. Good quality but I found the menu system maddening. We can all navigate menus, they can be awkward, but it was the inconsistency that got me, press and hold the button to get the secondary function, or press TX at the same time as the button for it to do something else, or another button press '.' first to get access to the second function, or some functions press two buttons together then that button to make it do something else, I haven't got the patience to remember or be bothered with that, and downright dangerous when you're driving, every time I wanted to adjust something I had to pull over and get the manual out.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cropper
Cropper

Call Sign : 26-CT-3339
QTH or Location : Darlington co Durham
Equipment Used : Comtrom f40 homebase Albrecht mobile

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 2:55 pm

I'm just about to try to ues the memory founction I hope it's not to hard it does fit in the car dash lovely.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley   Mckinley - President McKinley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President McKinley
Page 1 of 1