Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» First dx in 40 plus years
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:49 pm by pdes

» 10m dxcc ......
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
Baofeng Mobile supply 2022 software frequency president 9900 anytone 6900 callsign chart 2023 list display sign ALINCO Mckinley lincoln ss9900 antenna power call Sirio yaesu meter
QRZ Database

My basic set-up

Go down 
+3
SangueG
Victor
Hotel Zulu 253
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 7:07 am

Hi all

It doesn't get much more basic than this, until I arrange a better and more organised space this will have to do.

Current set-up is a Galaxy DX 959, Palomar Quadra Power linear amplifier, ½ wave Shockwave Station Master MK1,  12v lead acid battery power supply charged with a maintenance charger with a volt meter to keep an eye on voltage.

Next item on the agenda is setting up the UHF followed by sone other 11m radios.

I'll post new pictures as things improve.

My basic set-up  20210511
My basic set-up  20210512

Last edited by Victor on Sat May 08, 2021 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin removal of commercial link)

Sydthecat, John123, glenn dog, Victor, SangueG, Fast1 and bert_smash@yahoo.co.uk like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 7:35 am

Hi Andrew,

Always good to see a basic setup, exactly what is needed without superfluous junk. Wink
(Love a good battery setup too!)

I'd just like to point out though that you have a link to a commercial website in your posting and refer you to the forum rules at the following link :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t2-charlie-tango-forum-rules

All the best,
Victor

C.T. Admin.

Hotel Zulu 253 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 8:39 am

Apologies Victor,

You've caught me out on not reading the forum rules thoroughly. I'll take some time out to read through them properly. (Clearly stated in the first paragraph.. oops) 

Kind regards
Andrew

Last edited by Hotel Zulu 253 on Sat May 08, 2021 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 8:52 am

No worries Andrew.

I thoroughly enjoy Charlie Tango, the talk, the banter and everyone sharing what they're up to...it's a brilliant place to be!

Just occasionally though as a voluntary admin I have to be seen to be doing my job. Wink
(I'm probably the worst admin though for going 'off-topic' enjoying the conversation!)

Thanks for sharing your setup with Charlie Tango, always good to see what people are running no matter how big or small. Just that I am a fan of keeping it simple and the big old battery really floats my boat in a radio setup. My basic set-up  1f44d 

Look forward to seeing your station expand mate.

'Thanked' & 'Liked' Smile

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 8:58 am

Thanks Victor

Good to see your doing your job ; )

I've oped for a battery for a few reasons, my GME PSA126 power supply only delivers 7 amps where as the battery can deliver more than enough to power several pieces of equipment, the battery gives zero interference and best of all remains active in the absence of mains power supply, we have blackout and surging almost weekly here.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 9:10 am

All good reasons for battery power Andrew. My basic set-up  1f44d 

My first ever CB setup decades ago utilised a battery as at that time I couldn't afford a "big" power supply and it did the job nicely. We used to get a lot of blackouts in my village even here in Blighty and although they've since upgraded the village substation I still wonder about power loss so thinking about a battery backup again. Your setup spurred on those thoughts again.

Don't care if I lose TV, or the internet, but I'd hate to lose my radio or the opportunity to run interference free radio! Very Happy

73's
Victor

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 10:00 am

Love the setup. Practical and obviously works well for you if you're having frequent power outages.

Regarding the rig itself, do you have much cause to use its filter, GNF on that radio? Just wondered in the real world how well it works. My 6900 is spending a lot of time in my rucksack as I have being going out portable to get away from the home QRM which it doesn't handle well with its filters, and so will probably buy another rig for just home use at some point. I am using mostly SSB which I believe the GNF is for? Does it help on top of using the ANL and NB filters?

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 11:30 am

Hello SangueG

The GNF (Galaxy Noise Filter) definitely cleans up background noise. Once I started using it I couldn't go back, it stays on all the time in conjunction with  NB/ANL
It won't completely remove QRM bit I think it works extremely well and makes listening much easier on the ears.
I live in a small rural town and despite its small population and lack of industry its still quite "noisy" here. There are some annoying pulsing sounds that never stop throughout the middle frequency that I wouldn't mind tracking down. They're quite strong and the only filter that removes that one is the squelch.

From the user's manual 
"Is a special noise filter that de-emphasises audio high frequency response in order to increase signal to noise ratio of weak signals.
While you will notice a dramatic reduction in the "rushing" sound when the filter is activated it does not have much of fact on the signal-to-noise ratio of strong signals"

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 2:57 pm

Thanks for that. It sounds a little like the hi-cut filter in my radio, but mine does almost nothing. There's bound to be a few vids out there of that model in action, I'll try and look some up.

I do like the big S metre on yours too. I've got to put my glasses on to see mine properly Laughing

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 3:01 pm

The big S meters are great, I love the frequency counter. It's the first radio I've owned with one so it's still a novelty.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm

I spent the afternoon adjusting and plotting the SWR on my ½ wave today. I also thought I'd try to make the tip more visible to birds by adding contrast with black heat shrink bands. Hopefully those crazy galahs won't smack into it and snap the tip off again... its definitely more visible now.
I made a few interesting observations while tuning the SWR, I might create a new post elsewhere in the forum about that.

My basic set-up  20210514
My basic set-up  20210515
My basic set-up  20210513

glenn dog, Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 11:23 pm

Nice setup, Andrew.👍😎

73s John.

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 12:42 am

Thanks John,

73's back at ya. 😀

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 6:28 am

Nice set up Andrew and interesting read 

Hope to catch you on 11m in the near future 

Craig CT Admin
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 7:16 am

Just noticed your hand drawn SWR chart Andrew, excellent stuff!

It's one thing to scribble down a few numbers on a scrap of paper, another to have something like a 'RigExpert' plot it on a screen for you, but to take the time and effort to chart it yourself is great. Really helps you understand and appreciate it all.

Keep up the great work with your station. My basic set-up  1f44d

SangueG and Hotel Zulu 253 like this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 6:58 pm

we all started some were cb radio battery a big sheet of steel and a dv27 on a mag mount lots of coax and it was fun yes i know it will never be the same but do you think its got to much gadgetry u need this and that i watched gary ctx video basic antenna a bat and grant2 but thats all he needed and on a hill a 137miles ground wave, do i miss the simpler things in the cb day yes we had basic cb antenna power batt power very basic, it works , i hope to be out more this year and on my best spot if the range is closed and get up there and hope to get further down , lets make this year that every one got out to get the contacts

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 12:55 am

Victor wrote:
Just noticed your hand drawn SWR chart Andrew, excellent stuff!

It's one thing to scribble down a few numbers on a scrap of paper, another to have something like a 'RigExpert' plot it on a screen for you, but to take the time and effort to chart it yourself is great. Really helps you understand and appreciate it all.

Keep up the great work with your station. My basic set-up  1f44d
Thanks Victor 

Taking the time to plot my "full" SWR range has taught me a few things that I could have learnt in text books.
I now know if my Antenna needs to lengthened or shortened and by approximately how much if my swr needs adjustment. I can also see a distinctive pattern forming and could estimating with a degree of accuracy what ill need to do if I wish to operate at much higher or lower frequencies than I can currently reach. 
I'll have a decent swr meter shortly, next time I run a test it will be far more accurate.
It was definitely worth the effort.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 10:39 am

The latest additions, I've built my own power distribution board to tidy the wiring up and make it easy to swap equipment, I'm happy enough with the results. Also added two pieces of second hand equipment.... I'm running out of room on the shelf, almost time to remodel the space.👍My basic set-up  20210519
My basic set-up  20210518

John123, Matt86, Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 11:02 am

That's a very tidy looking distribution box. Very well done.

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks SangueG

I didn't like the price of boards so thought I'd just make one.
I would've liked to have made it fused with flush mount blade fuses between the terminals but couldn't find anything suitable. I might work something out later.
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2021 8:48 pm

Top work, Andrew.👍😎

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Like your homebrew distribution box Andrew. My basic set-up  1f44d 

Always appreciate a bit of homemade kit especially if it looks good to boot. Now that I'm adding more radios to my collection this will kick me into touch for making my own.

Love the old Reace meter too, always good to have a bit of vintage gear on the shelf. Be nice if you can dig out an old crystal and see if the 'crystal test' function still works just for the hell of it. Can't remember the last time I saw a crystal tester!

Great work mate, the collection/station is coming along nicely.

Back to top Go down
Matt86
CT Directors
CT Directors
Matt86

Call Sign : 26ct2767
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Swindon
Equipment Used : Yaesu ft818 , yaesu 8900r , yaesu ft950, stalker 9

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2021 11:12 pm

nice basic set up and with the battery less likely to get any noise though mains equipment as not connected . If get any will be airborne or though any cables / coax .

enjoy the hobby

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2021 2:17 am

Victor wrote:
Like your homebrew distribution box Andrew. My basic set-up  1f44d 

Always appreciate a bit of homemade kit especially if it looks good to boot. Now that I'm adding more radios to my collection this will kick me into touch for making my own.

Unfortunately I was limited by availability of quality parts.
If I were to build another I'd find some better quality sockets and plugs.
The ends of the sockets I bought are exposed which could make accidents happen easily.
A search of Ebay showed me I could have purchased the same type of plugs and sockets only substantially better quality at a fraction of the price.
I'm still on the lookout for a good way to flush mount or panel mount fuses. Even a resettable overload button would be cool.

Matt86 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My basic set-up  Empty
PostSubject: Re: My basic set-up    My basic set-up  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My basic set-up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Media gallery :: Shack & rig gallery-
Jump to: