Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
power lincoln display 2022 call meter supply callsign chart Mckinley sign ALINCO 9900 software Baofeng frequency 6900 2023 Mobile antenna anytone Sirio ss9900 list yaesu president
QRZ Database

11m cage dipole

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi all. I am currently using a simple inverted V made using cooker grade electrical wire fed via a 1:1 balun choke. The SWR is lowest just where I want it (top of mid block / lower half of hi block) and usable across the whole of 11m (there's a self plotted SWR curve in THIS thread). It's working just how I wanted it too, it's a very good skip shooter.

I have been thinking about how I can widen the bandwidth a little though. "If" I wanted to run higher power on the lower freebanding frequencies, the antenna would really need a little adjustment. I can actually do that quite easily by clipping on an inch of wire on each end (antenna is in loft so fairly easy to get to). But was thinking of a more permanent solution.

I've come up with lots of ideas, but the one I keep going back to is building a cage dipole, or to be exact it would be a cage inverted V. Not something I have seen people use for CB. I can't see that anyone sells one either.. or at least not now. There is a company that doesn't seem to exist any more that sold one called the THE ELIMINATOR 10/12, which they described as "One antenna that covers all of 10 meters all of 12 meters AND everything in between!". That does seem to be an extraordinarily large bandwidth, but the fact that their quoted gain figures appeared over the top too for what is effectively just a dipole and that they do not seem to be in business now kinda says it all.

However the larger the diameter element - the wider the bandwidth, that's proven fact. So even if the bandwidth is increased just a little from going from a single wire to multi wires in a cage format, that looks good for a try. Having a lot more wire in the construction of the antenna "might" even receive signals a little better?

Has anyone any experience of using a cage on 11m, or even 10 or 12? If so, what is/was your bandwidth like and how many lengths of wire are/were the cages constructed of?

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Hi Neal,

I haven't played with a caged dipole but maybe something on a similar basis. (? Opinions may vary ?)

When I wanted a multi-band antenna for better SWL listening I opted for the Fan dipole rather than a long-wire and it certainly worked as well as expected. Several wires were cut for the bands of interest and I used a simple tuner/preselector/ATU with it. There was a marked difference on reception including alleviating some of the cross band interference I used to get on the commercial SW bands.

My fan array was hung as an inverted V arrangement including zig-zagging in my attic space more to fit it all in than anything.

Moving forward I got back into CB radio but I didn't want a mahoosive antenna sticking out of the house with the chance of villagers pointing their gnarly fingers screeching, "There be a CB'er!!", before turning up with their pitchforks and burning torches! Wink

So I hung up an inverted V in the loft tuned to the CB frequencies and although a useless antenna for local work it did prove itself on the summer propagation, (Germany, Austria, etc.), with low power outputs. That was all the fun I needed to eventually decide I wanted more and took my Foundation.

I then being a cheapskate wanted to see if this antenna would work if tied into the SWL Fan array. (One coax feed then.) It sure did! Smile

Taking it further I also wanted to see if it would be operational for the Amateur bands and a Ham friend lent me a MFJ-259B antenna analyser, (expensive kit but so very useful). It indeed showed me that this arrangement would certainly be workable as a multi-band antenna. So with a volunteer jumping up the loft I read the Analyser and he trimmed the array to better standards. (I wasn't far out considering my original dimensions were made with a tape measure!)

As soon as I was licensed and received my callsign I used this arrangement in earnest and it did indeed work!
OK, maybe not the best antenna setup in the world but along with a homemade ATU to handle transmission power it covered every band I had access to in the HF region. Just the job. 11m cage dipole 1f44d

In interest I wondered if adding a 10m dipole could be added to this array and hung it as a inverted V next to the CB or 11m dipole. I had expected some interaction, (it certainly did affect the lower frequency dipoles as I added bands), but nope, all worked fine. Despite my utilisation of an ATU, with this taken out of line the CB dipole had a great SWR and popping up to 10m showed that it was also great. That multi-dipole array certainly has a lot going for it. Smile

Now I've seen cage dipoles in efforts to increase 80m bandwidth by Hams who want both sides of the band for CW and Voice. They're certainly not common though and hardly surprising considering the work involved and the proverbial wind sail it would become! The usual ones I've seen are three wire cages.

But I've also seen two wire arrays....they're not exactly cage dipoles but rather two 80m dipoles, one cut for the lower end and one cut shorter for the higher end of the band.

Very similar for what I did with my 10m/11m tied to a common feeder! Wink

So finally, getting to my point after a long winded affair....

Maybe it might be worth experimenting with your original Inverted V by adding another to it tuned slightly up or down accordingly?

Anyway, sorry for all the waffle but I thought the history of how I came about it all might be useful.
I am more of a practical/experimental man with a smattering of theory preferring that to jerking myself off silly over antenna modelling software. Very Happy

All the best,
Victor

rabbi, Pappy Nick, Alan Pilot and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Thank you Victor. We obviously think alike on certain aspects of radio. A fan dipole was one of my thoughts as I have also had a such an array or wires up in the loft just for listening on. Slightly ironically all that wiring is currently down so that I could get as clear a signal out of the V for the skip season.

I had thought about connecting another V with the best SWR set at the lo lo block calling frequency, and had theorized that it would either create a longer low SWR or at worst a W with a low middle if plotting out the readings. But at the same time I had thoughts that it just wouldn't work and mess with the original V. Learning the output of your previous trials does make me think I should give it a go.

I'm still getting a pull to build a section of Russian woodpecker to operate from though Smile The good thing with doing stuff like this in the loft, as you know, is that it doesn't have to look pretty and doesn't have to be strong like it would outside.. though I do get quite a draft up there. I'll probably end up trying both at some point.

Your road to Ham by the way is interesting. I should really pull my finger out and go for it properly one day. Radio has been in my life for almost ever, few examples... had wired walkie talkies between bedrooms as a young child with morse buttons on, built first crystal receiver with long wire before I was 10, modified a low power toy that transmitted on FM broadcast to increase range and ran a pirate music station in early teens, and whilst doing the CB and freebanding thing first time around used a couple of FM rigs connected to transmit data between a couple ZX speccies I think before even the BBC tried it. I did actually start an online course a year ago like many other people during Covid, but I gave up. It's the boring (to me) but necessary bits like learning callsign types that just made my mind switch off. I'll do it one day. It's something people can poke me on when the colder months come back around again Smile

rabbi, Pappy Nick, Victor and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2021 9:48 pm

You're spot on there Neal, a double dipole certainly does produce that flat middle W SWR plot. 11m cage dipole 1f44d 

Love your 'Russian Woodpecker' idea too, plenty of cages there. Smile
The Russians certainly came up with some weird and wonderful inventions, been toying with a corner reflector antenna for VHF just recently. Stick that whole shebang on a bearing table, point and squirt that RF!

I agree completely, indoor antennas whether in a loft or strung across a room can be worthwhile and as you say having no exposure to the elements means you can knock them up out of all sorts. (My first Moxon experiment was with electrical wire taped in place on a big piece of cardboard....worked too!)

I'm not knocking things like modelling software at all, but unfortunately a lot of the practitioners never actually build antennas or stop experimenting because the software says 'no'. Such a shame really, get the wire out and start building to your hearts content is way more fun and you learn a lot whilst enjoying it all.

TBH Neal I never thought I'd bother with my ticket after having a bit of a shameful response by some Hams as a youngster.

I was initially the little radio whizz-kid like you when I first attended a Ham club meeting out of interest but was soon shunned for my unlicensed experiments and committed the most heinous of crimes by having an illegal AM CB! Shocked
That really put off that young impressionable lad I was. The same attitudes can still be found today displacing the young experimenters with their easily available, (and affordable), Chinese tech and lack of 'old-school' respectability. 

Luckily, not by all. The 'baton' shall be respectfully passed on regardless of what some may think.

I love your passion for it all Neal and you got up to the same sort of radio antics a lot of experimenters did.
"FM Transmitter? Nah M'lud. Pirate radio station? I was just experimenting." Wink

I eventually went for it all because I had the time to discover a wonderful place like this here Charlie Tango. Hams, CBers and experimenters, (mostly), getting on with each other? What a wonderful world. Wished I discovered it much sooner!

Like you I was a bit 'meh' about the hoops you had to jump through but at least it was available online in your own comfort. Just getting through the nonsense of knowing how high up the ionosphere layers are, (in km? still befuddles me!), to pass that exam was just a case of biting the bullet. Now I get to experiment with a lot more frequencies and modes!

It just makes me laugh when I get the "Well done, an M7, now you'll have to do your Intermediate!"
Yeah right, "Congratulations, you've passed your car test, now you can do your PSV and move onto HGV!"

Then what do you do when you get that 'HGV'? Start riding a bicycle!
(Full licence progression to then sit on a hill running QRP? Very Happy)

If you're going to do it Neal, do it for yourself.
I finally got my ticket just so I could get back to experimenting with radio and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

I know one thing, I'd enjoy a QSO with the likes of yourself transmitting on your home-made wire concoctions and modified radios. Wink

All the best to you mate,
Victor

rabbi, glenn dog, Pappy Nick, SangueG and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 pm

I went your route Victor and added a 10m inverted V to the 11m one. Didn't go smoothly for me. Up and down the loft ladder for 2 hours folding, trimming, and moving positions of wires around until got them in a sweet spot. But not sweet to look at. It certainly is not a what you'd call a fan dipole now. With two dipoles fed from the 1:1 balun of pretty much equal lengths, in something that only vaguely resembles inverted Vs, it's more of an open ended droopy and twisted bow tie antenna Embarassed

As far as SWR goes, it shows very wide usable bandwidth of < 3:1 over a massive span of 4.5MHz. Almost perfect from 28.300 to 28.640MHz. And under 1.5:1 on UK FM, Hi and Mid block.

Does it work? Yes! Today had a contact to Italy on 11m and my first legal contact on 10m to Lithuania LY4A Very Happy

Still pondering a cage though. In my mind I can't see that the bandwidth would increase much more than the mess of wires I have created is showing. But the radiation pattern has got to be nicer and.. even though most places I have read about cages say the following is not true, a voice in my head keeps telling me that more metal up in the air will capture more signals and may possibly put out a touch better signal than a thin V. Probably will be a winter project by the time I think about it more.

rabbi, glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 am

I might take up knitting.

rabbi and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2021 3:24 pm

I wouldn't go to the hassle of building a cage dipole when you can achieve what you want just by using a wider diameter element.

Bandwidth is affected by the diameter of the radiating element, the larger it is the wider the bandwidth. The idea of a cage dipole is to make a radiating element that appears as one single very large diameter element to RF using wire and typically they'd what you'd use on 80m and 160m where even a thick wire may not give you full band coverage.

Even just rebuilding your current antenna but using two 9ft lengths of 10mm diameter copper pipe would more than achieve what you want.

rabbi, 43CT016, SangueG and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2021 8:37 am

Couldn't leave it alone, need to play some more Laughing To play around with diameters I got myself some ladder line as it's cheaper than getting more copper pipe in. 450ohm so nearing an inch wide.

Without a long waffle for now.. Took down the mess I had created and put up a single inverted V again using the ladder line as radiator element in the exact same spot as I had mounted the original V. It has about 700kHz additional bandwidth over the single wire V. That's great. But also is bringing in a lot less unwanted noise, which is also amazing.. but I don't understand why. A good S2 at least of noise reduction over the single wire V. Wanted incoming signals still same level, have listened to a couple of locals to check.

Any ideas of why there is less noise? The ends of the lines are as below. High voltage tips on left, single wire joins on right fed into balun.

11m cage dipole Ends10

Happy with the results, but would love to understand how the noise has reduced.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Resurrecting my old thread. I've taken my fan dipole down completely today. It's served me very well and grown with me over the last few years since I passed my ham exam, adding more and more bands to it. It will be going back up at some point, but going to completely rebuild from scratch and include a couple of bands that this one didn't have legs for.

Wanting at least a 10m antenna set up whilst I am working on the new fan, and plenty of room with most of the previous wires down and out of the way, I thought it would be a good a time as any to try a cage out.

I saw online that there were plans for 3d printing circular spacers, but I don't have a 3d printer. I found a set of 10 small dog agility hoops on a Chinese online market store for £5.99 and free postage which looked very similar. I don't normally buy new items for my antenna experiments, but that didn't look too bad to me so bought a pack.

They measure 26cm diameter which is a decent size. I used 3 for each leg of the dipole to make them 5 wire cages. They are fed from the fan dipole's old current balun by a 10cm single piece of heavy duty earthing wire. At the leg ends is another short piece of single wire of thinner gauge that I can cut or bend to help tune it.

Don't have any flashy tech to get readings from it, just the G90 SWR plot, SWR meter on the 991A, and an old CB SWR meter. All gave fairly similar results. SWR under 2.8:1 from bottom of the 12m band right to the top of the 10m band. Lowest SWR being 1.1:1 at 29.7MHz. Could definitely be tuned a bit better to bring that lower point a bit further down in to the 10m band, but didn't feel like messing with it any more today. I know now the ELIMINATOR 10/12's bandwidth claims are true. Had SSB QSOs into Asiatic Russia and Brazil, plus a couple of FT8 contacts, so it's working.

11m cage dipole Enid10

Definitely no Russian Woodpecker, but still a monster compared to my last 450ohm window line dipole legs. My old fan dipole was named Wednesday, so I've decided to call this new antenna Enid.. (Wednesday's cheerful room mate) because of her colourful spacers.

If anyone wants the exact dimensions, then let me know.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

11m cage dipole Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11m cage dipole   11m cage dipole Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

11m cage dipole
Page 1 of 1