Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request (Issued)
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:50 pm by AMM

» Call-sign Request (Issued)
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:50 pm by GolfAlphaZulu

» New Call Sign pls!
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Roydon

» 11m conditions
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by John123

» New shack in operation.
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by John123

» Minor application (Issued)
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:29 pm by John123

» HF Contacts 10m
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:10 pm by VanRougeT4

» *9th Anniversary South Coast PMR 446 Network - 9/9/2024*
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:06 am by Razz229

» When your daughter thinks she knows you...
RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:07 am by 43CT016

Keywords
Sirio list 6900 Baofeng callsign power software sign 2024 lincoln 2011 9900 meter 2022 ALINCO ss9900 president chart Mckinley call anytone frequency antenna yaesu display 2023
QRZ Database

RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use

Go down 
+5
Alan Pilot
53 Prefect
Northern Crusader
43CT016
Victor
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 367
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm

Hi Mark,

Glad it was of help to you.

No, not switched in or out as it's not required - the FM & SSB audio circuits are completely separate on the old 290. RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 1f44d
It's not exactly a difficult modification, (the beauty of working out simplification!), but fiddly for old hands & eyes. Wink

Yep, see loads of old FT's on the bay but unfortunately usually with silly price tags....I got my FT290r not working for absolutely free! (Didn't take much to repair it either!) I wrote about that too :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3182-yaesu-ft290r-and-repair-of

All the very best to you and hope I bump into you the airwaves one day,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
g8xqb

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : West London
Equipment Used : FT817ND, FT290R, FT690R, FT790R

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi Victor

Well, mod done - still need to adjust, but cant find the microphone! Hard bit is done now - thanks again Victor!

Mark
G8XQB

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2022 2:55 pm

i have a 6900 a 8900 a dx5000 and a 9900, and we all know the mics that come with the radios are very poor, crap audio and drop it and its good by, so i went to knight site and looked and checked how they work and price its not a thought, but got a telcom 1000 power echo mics on all the radios, and remember turn the echo off and it became , a power mic and in the the settings on these radios, turn the gain down to 35+ or - and the audio becomes clear and power full and a strong audio and there worth every penny, it should be an extra on every menu based radios if the price was a extra £40 it would be good and still miles better then the mics that come with radios but we live and weight......
Back to top Go down
g8xqb

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : West London
Equipment Used : FT817ND, FT290R, FT690R, FT790R

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Just been looking at the schematic for the FT690R, and this section is identical to the 290R, so I am going to mod that as well!

Thanks again Victor - really appreciated that you took the time to document this mod!

Mark
G8XQB
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 367
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi Mark,

As I don't own a FT690r I wouldn't have any experience of the circuitry so had a quick look myself at a schematic and was surprised to see the similarity. (Probably off the same engineers drafting table!) Again as I don't have that radio model or PCB scans I can't tell you whether the board layout is the same but I would expect it to be similar enough to figure out the mod. It does now make sense why the processor has so many selectable options for frequency steps and offsets. Wink

Regards any thanks you're more than very welcome and I'm glad my shenanigans and waffle has helped someone else. It does please me no end if anything I do truly helps someone and really is the best we can for ask for out of life.

Might be worth documenting it for yourself for the FT690r as you also never know that it may come in handy for other owners of such radios. RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 1f44d 

Enjoy your radio and all the best to you,

Victor
M7VIC
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
2E0PWD
2E0PWD

Call Sign : 26-CT-4445 2E0PWD
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : York
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-10, Icom 735, TYT TH-9800, Ailunce HD1

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing all that, Victor Smile  It's not waffle, it's interesting, informative and educational.

As you say, it's all in the true amateur radio spirit.  Back in the 'olden days' hams were making their own radios and experimenting with all kinds of ways to improve Tx and Rx on their homebrewed equipment.  To me, that's part of what amateur radio is about.  I've printed off your schematic so I'll have a go at making one...with the aid of my +4.0 reading specs Cool

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use   RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RF Based Speech Processor for SSB use
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2