Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
9900 anytone Mobile callsign 2022 display list power lincoln meter sign ALINCO chart software antenna 6900 Baofeng Mckinley call Sirio supply yaesu president ss9900 frequency 2023
QRZ Database

Antenna Mast

Go down 
+6
Ivy Mike
Red Fox
Mr Scientist
Alan Pilot
SangueG
NoMad
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

Call Sign : 26-CT-4253
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS6900N, RTL-SDR Blog V3, Baofeng UV5R-3.

antenna - Antenna Mast Empty
PostSubject: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2021 2:00 pm

OK, so I have been suggested to do impossible and unrealistic things to my aerial.

As I live in the UK, where we dont seem to make anything , I thought about a Fiberglass mast, as i only need and want it at 3 meters length.

Cannot find a supplier who doesnt want an arm and two legs, nor who can supply in lengths longer than 2 meters.

Telescopic poles were considered, but I dont know enough about them, like full time /permanent use, and wind resistance with a 1kg antenna to carry.

So how about I buy a stair wooden hand rail ?  Cost effective, comes in a 3 meter length as one piece, is Non-Conductive and doesnt really affect radio waves.

Would you, should I  ?  

tia, & 73's.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2021 3:47 pm

DX Commander Callum has stated in a couple of his videos that is how he started out. Give it a good coat of varnish or other weather proofing to make it last a bit longer in the weather.

Victor and NoMad like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2021 5:07 pm

I have had a scanner aerial up for around 7 years and it is on roof batons.
3Mtr long tanalised and still like new well the colour has changed but the wood is still good.
Cost less than £5.

Victor and NoMad like this post

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Andy,

Take the good advice from the first two posts and ignore the ####### who thinks they are a deity.

At least a deity would be able to spell  Razz

Sydthecat, Victor and NoMad like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 7:43 am

Mr Scientist wrote:

Hello Nomad,

Before you erect anything take into consideration the neighbours. Because some monstrosity swaying around in the breeze in your garden or attached to your side of your property. Can reduce the price of your neighbours properties by 10% something they won't appreciate. The keywords with aerials are DISCREET and COVERT. Have you considered putting  a loop aerial in your loft....?

If you live in social housing then simply ignore what I wrote, as it doesn't matter what you do in those types of dwelling.

I, your humble narrator

Mr Scientist
My new neighbours, who I dislike intensely, got their house cheaper because of my antenna farm. Laughing

Ain't got any PP and if they complain I will ask for a taller mast.   antenna - Antenna Mast 1f609

Back to original post, most likely overkill but if you want a really sturdy long lasting
telescopic mast look no further than the Spiderbeam alloy ones.
Expensive but will out last you and easily handle a few kilos, add a three paracord guys
and it easily handles storm 11 winds. My 10metre one holds my Cobweb at 8metres no problem.
Forget those cheaper wankie ones as they are crap, guess how I know.  antenna - Antenna Mast 1f60a

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 8:38 am

You could just turn the dipole around 90 degrees to horizontal. This will disprove or otherwise whether the existing aluminium mast is affecting your v:swr
Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 am

Thanks for your replies.

Some have missed the point, 3 meters, no more.  
Council flat / flat roof / no loft. 
Fc k my neighbour, he's an a55hole anyway, and he has a sat dish near, and his broadband twisted pairs run all over the place, wrapped around metal railings too. [and sure he's sharing his internet with one of those -should be banned- internet over mains.]

@Mr Scientist  3 meters, hardly a monstrocity. and my scummy neighbours would have already reduced property prices by 75%, so wont make any difference, besides its council.

@Alan Pilot ; Perfect Reply, thank you. 

@SangueG thank you. 

@redfox  Smile

@Sydthecat  not sure I understand your reply.....or who it's aimed at.

thanks for your replies.  

think I'll go wooden.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Hey, @nomad. Really. Listen. I do not believe that your woes are caused by your vertical dipole being attached to a vertical aluminium pole. Please try what I suggested. Otherwise I'm afraid it's difficult to help further.
Back to top Go down
Red Fox
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Red Fox

Call Sign : 108-CT-255
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : Squawk Boxes & Wires - Both Annoy the other half :)

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 7:01 pm

Andy,

I was looking at the site below as a possible upgrade solution for one of my antennas, might be of some use if the sizes and cost are suitable.

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/category/polyester-fibreglass-rods-white

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 9:32 pm

Sydthecat wrote:
Can see the bell end of the week award being re introduced 

Craig ( humble CT Admin )

Can we vote? bounce

Sydthecat and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Lol thankfully this weeks number one contender has now left the building

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 7:34 am

Did you lock the door when you pushed him through it.
Not bad we have only had 2 i think this year ?? ..

Sydthecat and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 8:49 am

We certainly did Alan 😂

Yes we do get them now and again but as you say only 2 or 3 this year 

Craig CT Admin

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am

@ Sydthecat  Is there need for that comment ?   no.

@Alan Pilot  and you, what is your problem ?  

@43CT016

I do not appreciate these comments.  I take them as a form of trolling.  Please grow up, this is not what I come here for. 
Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 11:28 am

@ Red Fox ; thanks for the link.  

I sometimes miss searches [because Im no slave to Google data collecting] for using an alternate browser.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 11:33 am

NoMad
My problem came about with him when he had a go at Victor.
Victor will help anybody with anything and also go out of his way if needed.
There was no need for his comments.
Do you have a problem with me Report me to admin if you have.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 12:09 pm

I think we've got a bit of a wires-crossed misunderstanding going on here and probably not helped by the events that occurred during this posting.

NoMad - Andy,

There were some unruly comments made by a member, (Mr. Scientist), who has ultimately been banned from the forum and a lot of the retorts above were obviously aimed squarely at him and I can reassure you not towards yourself.

This posting could have been 'tidied' a bit better to reflect this but considering all of the Admin staff are volunteers you can understand some things may be missed. (I'd already tidied up so much elsewhere on the forum but can't catch everything.)

Be assured that the members still residing here do so in their common interest of radio and their exemplary efforts in helping each other where they can.

I hope that clears things up and when I have time I will try my very best to further 'clean' the forum to prevent such misunderstandings.

All the very best,

Victor

CT Admin.

Alan Pilot and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 10:20 pm

NoMad wrote:
@43CT016

I do not appreciate these comments.  I take them as a form of trolling.  Please grow up, this is not what I come here for. 

I don’t come here to read utter dribble by idiots either, which is what started the whole thing when the now banned member started being a knob.  IME, bell ends need to be told they’re bell ends, as often they have no idea.

Feel free to scroll on by, and I will refrain from offering assistance in your threads by return.  I’ll leave you to “fxxk your a$$hole neighbour” as per your earlier post…..

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Ah, well spotted Jeff seems I missed quite a few things.

Second section "Language & Trolling" :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t2-charlie-tango-forum-rules

Let's try and keep it civil.

43CT016 and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2021 6:22 am

Good point Jeff.
"Feel free to scroll on by, and I will refrain from offering assistance in your threads by return"..
Didn't think of that but will try to remember it.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2021 12:03 pm

NoMad wrote:
Cannot find a supplier who doesnt want an arm and two legs, nor who can supply in lengths longer than 2 meters.

I got mine from the company who advertises in the back of Radcom, just looked at the Radcom I have and sods law it's not in there. They do lengths up to 5 metres long. If you go to scaffolding companies they're now using fibreglass/composite poles now too.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2021 11:06 am

@ Alan Pilot ; <<<<<<<<< Did you lock the door when you pushed him through it.
Not bad we have only had 2 i think this year ?? .." >>>>>>>>>>
  this is what I was asking you about as I dont understand this.   What relivence does this have with my question  ? 

@Trunky, I swr'd it horizontal.  It was when I put it verticle on the mast that then the swr went sky high.

Boom is a metre out on a plastic pipe.

43CT016  but my alcoholic violent crack & Meth users have caused me mass problems, so thats my opinion about them regarding my aerial.   Language was censored, so sorry mr snowflake if that censorship offends you.

@Redfox, do you know if that company are in business  ? ?    only the phone number doesnt connect, emails are not answered, so I wont send money online if they are not there anymore.

@ Northern Crusader ;what an empty reply,  so what was the company name/details that you bought from then ?   or is it a secret .......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2021 11:15 am

NoMad wrote:
@Trunky, I swr'd it horizontal.  It was when I put it verticle on the mast that then the swr went sky high.

Boom is a metre out on a plastic pipe.
 I can't help but think something else is going on here. I also have a vertical dipole standing 30cm off an aluminium mast with the coax going down the mast, There is even a 50MHz halo just below centre of the dipole on the same mast. I have no problems with the dipole match. I accept that the radiation pattern may very well be skewed but I have been working stations all over the world over the last few weeks.

I would be thinking about your connections, a break in the coax or something similar. Can you define "sky high"?
Back to top Go down
NoMad
Contributor
Contributor
NoMad

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2021 11:25 am

@Red Fox -  Ignore last sentence: Ive got through to them now & ordered.  

Trunky,   I really don't know.  I have checked all connections with my multimeter, and no shorts, the coax core runs up, and sheild runs down, and is conducted.   Ive bought an external swr meter/matcher now, so will use the matcher for a while until my fibreglass mast arrives in a day or two, then I will start ""afresh"" with it. If that doesn't work I will rip it down and jump up and down on it until it's completely ruined then throw it away and ....not sure yet which way this'll go.  ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antenna Mast   antenna - Antenna Mast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna Mast
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next