Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» HF Contacts 10m
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:17 am by TrunkY

» I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:18 am by Victor

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:18 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:10 am by Victor

» How to identify what version Anytone AT-6666 you have?
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:05 pm by Razz229

» AT Santa contest 2021
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:25 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» UK 40 channel FM?
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:47 pm by Wireless

» CT call sign (Information requested)
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:28 pm by Wireless

» the charlie tango group
Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Monty

Keywords
lincoln midland bazooka call Mckinley coax radio supply yaesu list ss9900 6900 Calling SS6900 display power president Mobile chart ALINCO callsign 9900 sign Sirio antenna frequency
QRZ Database

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?

Go down 
+7
Rotel240
Victor
Markone
GaryWilson
SangueG
Alan Pilot
26uk81
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Hmm, I find it odd that people say they find it "disgusting" even though they swear amongst friends.   Is it disgusting language?  Or disgusting because of the wrong person hearing?   When you swear amongst friends face to face, are you certain you can't be heard by anyone else?

I've always found the "norms" of society at odds with my own thoughts.   I find it odd how a word beginning with F is considered more severe than the B word, both refer to sexual acts...   And there are other similar comparisons I could make.  

I'm not going to keep arguing the toss, I think I know what the consensus is now.   Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and are free to choose who they wish to listen or indeed talk to.  Thanks for the responses everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 170
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi Chris,

Firstly a big thanks for starting this posting with what is a thought provoking or could even have become a contentious subject. Not many would have raised such a topic or even indeed handled themselves so well with opposing thoughts.

That same congratulations also goes to other members involved in this discussion that simply gave their view or even held back somewhat despite their opposing views.

I myself honestly do enjoy such debates especially when they are carried out in such a manner.
The water did get hot, but it didn't quite boil over - exemplary actions for any discussion or debate.

There has what appears to have been a general consensus as you mention and it's rewarding to know that people feel that it should be such rather than down to a simple written rule or regulation. It definitely gives me faith in such regulations that they aren't blindly written, demanded or otherwise bestowed on us without thought or some sense of meaning.

Yourself whether unfortunately or otherwise found yourself at odds with an opposing view on air even to the point of being confronted about it and hence your posting. Your on air conversation or banter with a friend could so easily have been simply listened to by others who then decide that swearing on air 'seems' to be acceptable or commonplace and continued the trend themselves.....

Thanks again Chris, thanks again to all members involved here and especially to everyone for simply not swearing on the forum. Wink Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 1f44d 

All the very best to all and enjoy your radio,
Victor

TrunkY likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC Online
Wireless
Wireless

Call Sign : 26-CT-4345 / M5WJF
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Shrewsbury IO82OQ
Equipment Used : Yaesu, and other stuff

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 am

Victor wrote:
@ Wayne, (Wireless), as Radio Amateurs we have a 'cop-out' clause on the regulations to build, modify or otherwise alter equipment so long as it only for personal use and transmits within the allocated Amateur bands.......so legally and technically it means we cannot use 'Ham' gear for use on CB frequencies. (Not that it stops many. Wink )

I think Ofcom have done an incredible job at de-regulating many things stopping the tangled mess that it all used to be.

The licence free nature of CB radio is a typical example and it means that any one of us can legally use CB equipment, (within regulations), to our hearts content without requiring some form of technical training or qualification.

If Radio Amateurs wanted to encompass CB frequencies with the Amateur band plans to circumvent such issues there would be one hell of a stink!!!

I'll leave further discussion on those matters for another posting of its own, (feel free to start one), as this posting was originally concerned about 'swearing on air'. I'm sure there'll be some debate of what constitutes 'grossly offensive' or 'obscene' etc. 

All the best,
Victor

Cheers Victor,

Looks like I'll be also getting a CB SSB Transceiver after all then, the only person I have to hide the purchase from is the wife, ha.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 41
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2021 7:15 pm

26uk81 wrote:
Hmm, I find it odd that people say they find it "disgusting" even though they swear amongst friends.   Is it disgusting language?  Or disgusting because of the wrong person hearing?   When you swear amongst friends face to face, are you certain you can't be heard by anyone else?

I've always found the "norms" of society at odds with my own thoughts.   I find it odd how a word beginning with F is considered more severe than the B word, both refer to sexual acts...   And there are other similar comparisons I could make.  

I'm not going to keep arguing the toss, I think I know what the consensus is now.   Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and are free to choose who they wish to listen or indeed talk to.  Thanks for the responses everyone.
Hi Chris, Just to clarify my point, when I said it is “‘disgusting and Abhorrent” I was referring to the Nature of the conversations that can be heard more than the actual Swear words. I hope that makes sense without having to go in to details. I don’t think I wrote it very well mate. As I’ve said, Great discussion.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metalman

Call Sign : 26-CT-3391
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : Ft480 ft8800 ft90 rt4 n60

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 8:13 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
T5 has never been legal so never strict to the letter of the law.
I know what you are saying and at the time you are on with your m8.
Me i swear like a trooper face to face but not on the radio just never have even back on AM in the 70s.
Interested in what others have to say.
Hi Alan. I think it must be an age thing 🤔 😅.I .like yourself started radio life 76/77. ( small window sharp) went on to do full licence mid 90s. Even though I've recently gone back to my routes ( 2012/ss9900) I still treat all radio work with respect. Like you I use the odd expletives ever now and then. 🙊🤣🤣. But never on air. Anyway.  My first post on here. Take care and best wishes. 73. Greg. G7VAG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 39
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2021 1:25 pm

Ha Ha i had the small window and then the big window.
But my first was a general electrics ?? i think only had 23 channels or 24 then i upgraded to the sharp.

Metalman likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 8:18 am

Just thought I'd share this vid I just watched as it's totally related to the discussion.

It does contain some causal swearing so don't click play if you are offended by such language or if you have children or other people in the room with you who might be.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?   Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: