Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
call 6900 yaesu ss9900 Sirio callsign anytone lincoln 2022 2023 chart 2024 9900 meter Baofeng ALINCO software Mckinley list frequency president power antenna sign display Mobile
QRZ Database

Lincoln 2+ tale of woe

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
welshwizard1971

Call Sign : 26-CT-4402
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southampton
Equipment Used : Mobile 10m / CB

lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Empty
PostSubject: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2022 10:16 pm

Bought a widebanded Lincoln 2+ and got my licence as a toe in the water step into HAM, thought 10/11M would work well in the car as they could share an antenna etc, and it's not gone well.

For the first month, nothing, am I doing this right, double checking everything etc all seems OK. 

Set up a shack in the shed so I can concentrate better rather than sitting in the car, buy a dipole, still no better, buy a Sirio gainmaster on a 15 foot pole, still nothing.

Hearing the odd person, but nobody is responding to me, chat to the locals on the old CB still that's next to it on another dipole, or on my hand held dual band, but nothing on 10m, I assume it's because I'm being a good boy and sticking to 10w and they're all blasting it out. Also as it turns out, 10m is only really used between April and August, ho hum, didn't know that, on a spectruim analyser it looks utterly dead so maybe that's the issue, there's nobody to talk to at the moment. 

Another month goes by, still no joy, drive to remove hills to improve conditions, hear more stations, lots of Russian skip yesterday, but still nobody is hearing me.

Pop into Nevada radio and the chap suggested  firing up a local web SDR to see if it can hear myself to confirm I'm getting out, good idea! Find a local SDR, nothing, not on 11m or 10m, so, am I even getting out?? In the shack testing eveything as something must be amiss, the SDR is only ten miles or so away so it should really be getting my 10m shout, and when I'm working checking leads etc, I'm also calling out on CB CH19 on the Lincoln, no response, 12-15 calls over 45m, nothing, then somebody else calls out on CH19 immediately after me, and gets 5 responses? What the hell?? Hello, hello, can you lot hear me, nothing. Fire up my old 3.5w Allbrecht CB on the dipole and yes, they could now hear me! It's the bloody Lincoln itself that's not working! After all this time! Turns out one of them has a 10m unit and lives 2 miles away, so I ask him to fire it up so we can test the Lincoln on the the 10m band, which he does, but he can hardly hear me, so I wind up the mic gain from medium to high, and suddenly he can hear me, it was the mic gain all this time, so either that's badly set as the original medium setting should have been fine, or the mic itself is iffy. So we chat for a few minutes on 10m USB, and I wonder, is 11m working on the Lincoln too, so we swap and yes, it is! It's now working on 10m and 11m and apparantly I'm clear as a bell! Awesome! After all this time it's working! So we start chatting, and it blows up, totally dead, fuses are fine but it shorts out the power supply, with a smell of something burnt out, so a dead radio. So after two months of trying with no success at all due to either a faulty mic gain circuit or a faulty mic, I managed about 3m of conversation, then it broke, so back to Knights it goes. Arrgghhhh, just, bloody Aaaarggghhhh!!!!!!

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 1:22 am

Well, you may have a faulty mic, but remember, with sideband, there is no carrier, so an unmodulated signal won't produce any output; and power is proportional to modulation.  So whilst you don't want to over modulate, you need to to ensure you are modulating enough to get somewhere close to peak power of the radio on your voice peaks.

Pretty sure they are a multimode rig, so a test on FM or AM would prove it very quickly as to whether it is the mic.  It could be as simple as you talking too quietly or too far away from the mic, and hence adjusting the mic gain as you have fixes it for how you operate.

On an amateur set, we usually use the ALC display to set mic gain, so you're not clipping the signal on your voice peaks.  Also, and I don't know if the Lincoln has one, but a speech compressor will also "compress" and hence boost your average modulation, and we set both until we get nice sounding audio and decent power out compared to the radio power setting. 

Of course, none of this helps with a blown rig, but I thought some background to your sideband woes might help! Very Happy

Tristar and welshwizard1971 like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2022 7:53 am

Check the power supply voltage it could be that at fault.
Seen this happen many times years ago when i was repairing.
They can fail but still look to be working but the voltage is at 28v or was it 26v but it will kill a radio whatever.
I am saying that in case knights replace the set and it blows again.
Back to top Go down
trik

Call Sign : G1PLB
Times Thanked : -1
QTH or Location : Worksop(ish)
Equipment Used : ft 897 d, Lincoln ii vers 3, realistic trs 2000

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2022 8:46 pm

Have you made sure both RF power  AND mic gain controls are turned up? Does RF meter register when you key up? Have you tried different modulations? If you transmit on the lincoln can you hear it on the cb? If you transmit on the cb can you hear it on the lincoln? Good luck with the problem solving.
Back to top Go down
welshwizard1971

Call Sign : 26-CT-4402
QTH or Location : Southampton
Equipment Used : Mobile 10m / CB

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2022 6:03 pm

Sussed it, and it wasn't obvious, the little spring in the cigar lighter positive had broken so the pin was only occassionally making contact, but it had only partially broken so when I tested it, it appeared OK, springy, it had continuity fuses OK etc. I can't take credit as I removed it to send the radio back to the shop, and used it to create a banana post power supply for the car instead. Built it, tested it was OK, all good so plugged it in the power supply and it tripped the power exacty the same as before, so I looked at it again. Literally 2m later the shop phoned to say they couldn't find a fault on the radio! A mention for Knights,  they phoned me at 5pm on a Sunday night to let me know, very very impressive after sales. Felt sorry for wasting their time so bought an ATU lol.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mr-G

QTH or Location : Calderdale
Equipment Used : Alinco DX 10

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2022 6:58 am

welshwizard1971 wrote:
Sussed it, and it wasn't obvious, the little spring in the cigar lighter positive had broken so the pin was only occassionally making contact, but it had only partially broken so when I tested it, it appeared OK, springy, it had continuity fuses OK etc. I can't take credit as I removed it to send the radio back to the shop, and used it to create a banana post power supply for the car instead. Built it, tested it was OK, all good so plugged it in the power supply and it tripped the power exacty the same as before, so I looked at it again. Literally 2m later the shop phoned to say they couldn't find a fault on the radio! A mention for Knights,  they phoned me at 5pm on a Sunday night to let me know, very very impressive after sales. Felt sorry for wasting their time so bought an ATU lol.
Interesting tale welshwizard.
I have the Lincoln II + and only been out once with it.
I shall be watching out for the cigar plugs and springs.
Thanks.
Ken.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lincoln 2+ tale of woe   lincoln - Lincoln 2+ tale of woe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lincoln 2+ tale of woe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: