Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
lincoln president meter list supply power chart 2022 antenna 2023 Baofeng ss9900 anytone sign ALINCO 6900 Sirio 9900 display call Mckinley yaesu Mobile callsign frequency software
QRZ Database

Newbie - equipment help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hippy Carpa

Call Sign : 26-CT-4819
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Redditch
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 ,SIRIO PERFORMER 5000PL

Newbie - equipment help  Empty
PostSubject: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 7:45 am

Greetings all , 
I am looking for some advice , I am going to invest in a CB set up , I don't have alot of money to spend . I am undecided over a hand held or a small car unit . Radios I am looking at ,T-600 , T-800 , president Barry & Bill , and would definitely welcome help and advice on what unit to go for. My car is. Jag XF sports brake so probably got an aluminium roof, but being resourceful there are ways round all problems 
Thank you in advance
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 5:31 pm

Get a small mobile radio rather than a handheld. In modern cars there's not a lot of room for mounting radios. The CRT Mike has everything in the microphone, the display, the speaker, the controls, and the main body of the radio can be put somewhere else. 

With an aluminium roof obviously magmounts are out, although they should only really be used as a temporary installation - you can still damage the paintwork with them, so a lip mount is where I'd go next but again with modern cars it's going to be hard to find somewhere to mount one. Ideally you'd be wanting the largest antenna you could put on as the antenna, as well as how it's installed, makes or breaks how well an installation works much more than the radio. Glass mounts are the last resort as they work quite poorly with a range of a couple of miles at best but they don't work well with passified glass, that is glass that contains metallic particles for UV protection.

With modern cars they've been made ever harder to install radios in and avoid drilling holes. The only real option for pretty much most stuff made over the last few years due to ever tighter panel gaps, so even if you can use a magmount you'd crush the coax, and more curves in things like boot lids and hatchbacks making using lip mounts harder to impossible is a hole drilled in the roof which is the best way anyway.

If you were to get your amateur radio licence then the options are much better as VHF and UHF antennas only need to be a sixth of the size of a decent performing CB antenna to work well so you can use some very small lip mounts which are far easier to place.

Victor and Hippy Carpa like this post

Back to top Go down
Hippy Carpa

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 6:57 pm

Thank you " northern crusader " a very informative and lengthy reply. Fully agree , I had previously been looking at going thru the license procedure ( I'm a bit anti system / regulatory etc etc lol and worried I may fail ) I had thought about industrial strentght velcro for mounting the unit , also I do have a rather accomodating box with cig lighter point , and as we know " height is might " so the longer the better , not sure on a permanent mount , alot to think about , thanks again
Back to top Go down
BoB4jjjj
BoB4jjjj

Call Sign : 108-CT-280
QTH or Location : Aberdeen
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 4:18 pm

I don't normally post links, but if you want an idea of how the CBs you are interested in perform, are set up from the factory (some are very poor) and then hear how they perform over the air later in another video, go have a look for the radio that interests you on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6w677p4ucVOw2VxqZk-UlA/videos
Richard sets them up and tests them on air in a later video.

Hippy Carpa likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hippy Carpa

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 7:39 am

Thank you to all for the replies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie - equipment help    Newbie - equipment help  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie - equipment help
Page 1 of 1