Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request (Issued)
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:50 pm by AMM

» Call-sign Request (Issued)
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:50 pm by GolfAlphaZulu

» New Call Sign pls!
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Roydon

» 11m conditions
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by John123

» New shack in operation.
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by John123

» Minor application (Issued)
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:29 pm by John123

» HF Contacts 10m
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:10 pm by VanRougeT4

» *9th Anniversary South Coast PMR 446 Network - 9/9/2024*
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:06 am by Razz229

» When your daughter thinks she knows you...
setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:07 am by 43CT016

Keywords
sign ss9900 call Baofeng 2022 frequency 9900 2024 lincoln display antenna meter list Mckinley president Sirio 2023 6900 callsign anytone power yaesu chart software ALINCO 2011
QRZ Database

setting up my old gear

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

Call Sign : 329-CT-007 G7SWR
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prague.
Equipment Used : Stalker 9FDX, York JCB863 ADI AT-200

setting up my old gear Empty
PostSubject: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 10:48 am

Yesterday I managed to get to the dry cellar my gear was stored in. it had been all moved around since I was last there and queue a lot of items falling on my head and an hour spent moving mine and other folks stuff around to get to my gear that was right at the back at the bottom of a stack of boxes.

alot of sweating and a little bit of blood later and i have my gear and got a cab home with it.

so far today been deciding which mic to use, a sedelta desk mic, found how to wire the plug for uniden as i belive it was last used on a hammajor, not mine i inherited it from a friends father. so will fire up the soldering iron aftyer work today.

got contact cleaner in the two sliding pots on it and also on the pot and switch of the swr meter i picked to use.

thinking about what i can get to use as a groundplane on the magmout ill be using to start off with. 

ill do some similar pot cleaning on the radio,

only hard to solve issue is where to set up the radio, and to make space as living in a bedsit (the most common habitations in this area) 

I was glad to find I had not left any batteries in any of the microphones i had stored. 

also found and a lead that may come in handy for the sw radio i plan to have set up for listening but sadly despit finding the Mic for the 2M handheld no sign of the antenna, i know where the mag mount is for that radio its sat in the loft of a flat i sold in the south of the uk over 20 years ago.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 1:10 pm

I am puzzled, i wanted to look up the Sadelta Mic i have to get some info on it but it can not be found. ill describe it.

Desk microphone black goose neck, two VU one for limit and one for modulation, slideres for the same limit 0 to 10 mVE 0 to 400. black metal body, red/orange plastic sides and PTT with lock function. has about three microswitches the ptt works on. takes a 9V battery. 

Markings lost a little due to corrosion Saedelta (with a sinewave) *P-22  the * is an illegible charachter.

what i know of its use before mine was working DX on a Ham Major through a Sigma 4 about 7 feet off the ground.

Anyone know anything about this model of Microphone? not checked the insert works that will be done later, it did work 7 years ago...

Ok i did some more gargling its an MP-22 not much info online about looks to be from early 80's

Last edited by MikeInCzechRep on Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found it !)

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 367
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2022 3:55 pm

Sounds like you're busy there Mike and hope you enjoy your work getting set up.

I'm still "setting up" despite being on air three years later! Wink

Always something to do which is what for me anyway makes the radio interest so appealing.

MikeInCzechRep likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 6:46 am

welll i am now not sure the microphone will work took the cover off the business end and it could be broken as the transducer seems to have come apart as the magnet stayed in the arm and the plastic dome and coil came out, not complety sure its busted as no wires hanging out. i think ill try to test it using the PA function on the yourk before attempting to wire the plug for the undien based rig

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 8:09 am

Hopefully it's not too difficult to get working and mic elements are cheap enough to be had for replacement. I think the MP-22 used a dynamic element but could easily be converted to use an electret type.

I wish you well with it Mike. setting up my old gear 1f44d
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 9:14 am

setting up my old gear Img_2010
setting up my old gear Img_2011
setting up my old gear Img_2012
Photos to see if I can and to show what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 10:04 am

Oh poop - that is an issue.

I'll bet finding a microphone element like that from 1981 might be a problem.

If it helps any Mike I found some details or rather schematic/circuit diagram where someone converted the circuitry to accept an electret type microphone :-

https://www.casimages.com/i/180109084303275985.jpg.html

The mods are basically for applying power to the electret element as well as alteration of the drive circuitry and expanding the frequency response. Weirdly they also put a cap on the VU/Modulation meter to slow the swing of the meter.

They're pretty much component swaps so shouldn't be too hard to perform. I'm sure with a bit of foam and some ingenuity such an element could be popped into that mic head.

I know some will argue that it will never sound the same again but I'll bet a lot would be hard pushed to tell the difference with the mods shown.

Anyway if push comes to shove it's an option available.

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 10:44 am

Thanks Victor, some study for me tonight once i have re arrainged my arraingments so there is a space for the Radio to sit. Confirms my suspicion its useless as a mic right now, i have a good selection of hand held mics so one of those must still be functional, fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 1:39 pm

So during my lunch break I had a look in my box of old CB gear and decided on resurrecting an Altai DM-315E glad i had taken the battery out last time i used it. It is i think set for cybernet so ill have to we wire the plug for uniden once i test it on a cybernet rig to check it has a working insert.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 70
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Years ago when i did repairs i have fitted an old tape recorder mic element in a mic like that.
Was just a thought and did look on the bay for one but none to be had.

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 3:04 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Years ago when i did repairs i have fitted an old tape recorder mic element in a mic like that.
Was just a thought and did look on the bay for one but none to be had.
ah now thats an idea, i have a vague memory of one like that but i bet it was binned over 20 years ago i think ill have a better chance finding one in Prague than the UK though
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 pm

update,

Finaly got up a head of steam and sorted out the space in my kitchen to have shelves to put radios and such like on and the micro desk to actually work on in place. 

Put back together a Realistic DX-100L sww/mw.lw receiver i took apart some months ago, not even lost a screw or a knob. so pluggged that in and had a listen around the bands, got some stations here and there and some music around 30mhz but not a peep between 26 and 29. 

next took the covers off the York JCB863 and fixed the tone switch that had been pushed in, and attempted to clean the potentiometers, i plan to use it to listen to how i sound on the Stalker 9fdx once i get a microphone wired up for it. 

did not get as far as waving the smoldering iron about tonight but feeling really good as i did a thing after months of not doing a thing due to poor mental health, well apart from logging into work and doing that then going back to sleep. 

I'm feeling pretty good tonight and looking forward to some smoldering iron action tomorrow evening followed by setting the swr on the mag mount ill be using for the time being.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 7:07 am

setting up my old gear Img_2013

Sydthecat, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 4:53 pm

well what have i learned today? 

1) modern PC monitors raise the static on the radio from bouncing around 1 to 9
2) The radio seems to be off frequency, or the york i listened in on is... 
3) I'm not sure if any of my microphones are good
4) I need a frequency counter
5) More testing required.

Number 1 is a pain as i was hoping to monitor 555 for skip while I worked. The rest is life and ill find a way.

I did see a frequency counter in my price range, under 20quid on a local auction site so ill make a bid tonight.
meanwhile Ill monitor the cept ch19 for activity and hope the colleague who has a CB in a box somewhere will find it and tell me what price he wants or lend it to me for a while...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 5:54 pm

All looking good there Mike and hope you've been enjoying yourself with it all. setting up my old gear 1f44d

My old PC used to cause me radio grief but luckily the new laptop doesn't and the secondary monitor required replacing the RFI noisy external PSU with an alternative that wasn't noisy.

I did buy an eight digit LED frequency counter from China a while back that is surprisingly accurate but they seem to have doubled in price recently! Shocked

I hope you continue to get on well despite any small set backs.

All the best,
Victor

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2022 6:10 pm

in a surprising turn of events I actually heard somone on the cept frequencies this evening, then discoverd my multimeter has Hz then found it is not all that as i get no better than 2 decimal places and get 27.54 on 12 high but with only 2 decimal places and its more a tool for measuring volts ohms and Amps i dont think it is giving much of a picture and is deffo not for setting transmit to.

the Antenna placement will be a big limiting factor while i live in my current place.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 6:48 am

12 high should be 27.555 ?.
Have you got a switch for a 10kc drop to get the alpha channels it does look like it.

Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 7:02 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
12 high should be 27.555 ?.
Have you got a switch for a 10kc drop to get the alpha channels it does look like it.
i was working that 12 high should be 27.555 but i would not trust my measuring device it only has two decimal places. its more of a multimeter (Pros's Kit MT-1820) I made a bid on a frequency counter last night from a local auction site, working on a tight budget here, and if that fails ill order a basic one from a local eshop on payday.

there was a little bit of local activity this morning on cept 19 and they sounded on frequency so perhaps worrying with no cause. 

the rig does not have the 10kc shift there is a clarifier  

the York JCB863 is not much use here it is unmodified cb27/81 had it since i was a teen, it is useful to check on audio from the stalker when transmitting. 

I think my biggest issue is using a magmount on a metal windowsill from a third floor flat, ruminating on what I could cobble together as a) a ground plane b) and antenna c) would anyone notice if i got on the roof and dropped coax to my window.

I cant mount anything on the outside wall private rental property. 

there is a rig shop not too far but i is in a motorway rest stop closed weekends and I currently dont have a car and my licence expired and there are a few brexit related hoops i have to leap through without getting stuck or catching fire.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 8:17 am

The 2 switches on the left what do they do.
545 is an alpha try it again and change the switch at the same time.
Or even try it on 12 and wind the clarifier all the way.
Strange to be that 10kc out if it is your measuring device that is wrong.
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2022 11:49 am

on the ltop left going inwards nb/anl no change to frequency when switching this, or backgriund noise, then two band switches on for high (cept) and one for Low next is to switch between normal or UK cb27/81 

anyway not conclusive it is that far off frequency untill i get a evie that has the resolution to measure it
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 12:16 pm

well the disappointment is high and reception is low, it seems that using a magmount on a large metal windowsill on a third floor flat means almost no reception, ill have to consider investing in something better and getting on the roof,
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2022 12:25 pm

Make a T2lt and hang it down when you need to use it.
Cheep and easy to make.
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 8:04 am

Thanks that could be a possibility not sure I have enough height though I did hear some activities around sun set a on Sunday not sure if they were russian or Bulgarian definitely not local but the signals were fading in and out a lot. My cheap frequency counter should be here in 48 hours so that will help clarify if the old set is on or off frequency. If off I'll have to find what to twiddle In side withought Messing the entire radio up.
Back to top Go down
MikeInCzechRep
Contributor
Contributor
MikeInCzechRep

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 6:33 pm

So the "frequency counter arrived today" only issue is no idea if it is calibrated, it says on the case 1-500Mhz and runs of a 9v battery, I now realize I have nothing with witch to test how accurate it is...

but anyway decided to see what it gave me on the radio 

FM modulation CH1 UK 27.6042, mid/fcc/cept 26.9678, high 27.4178
as above CH20 UK 27.7943, MID/FCC/cept 27.2078, High 27.6579
as above CH40 UK 27.9943, mid.fcc cept 27.4078, High27.8579

So if the counter is any kind of accurate it is off frequency, so next i need to have some regressive hypnotherapy to see what an old guy did to it when i first set it up here 7 or more years ago as he said it was off and adjusted one trimmer or pot i think it was to the rear on the right hand side, it had been gone through ten or so years before that using the factory set up guide by a guy local to me in Bracknell at the time and was spot on after a lot of work.  

Sop how badly off is it, what do the CT community think?
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 6:48 pm

MikeInCzechRep wrote:

thinking about what i can get to use as a groundplane on the magmout ill be using to start off with. 

i
Four bits of wire 9ft long. You can get away with one but four would be better.

Solar conditions were crap last week basically leaving the bands so knackered you could be forgiven for thinking you had no antenna attached. 

As I type things are much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: setting up my old gear   setting up my old gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

setting up my old gear
Page 1 of 1