Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New call sign request
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 pm by spod

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 8:42 pm by Razz229

Keywords
ALINCO power Mckinley call Sirio list ss9900 2022 yaesu supply software meter Baofeng 2023 antenna callsign president sign Mobile anytone chart 6900 display frequency lincoln 9900
QRZ Database

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Empty
PostSubject: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi All,

Recently whilst dialling that VFO on the radio I came across some sounds I recognised on 14.230MHz namely SSTV signals.

I did have a play around with receiving SSTV from the International Space Station on 2m a while back but unfortunately never received a solid complete image due to my local repeater being very close to the same frequency. (It's so close I get it S9 without an antenna plugged in!!) I could've tried harder to grab a window of opportunity that didn't coincide with the repeater ident but we also have a local numpty that randomly keys up the repeaters in the area. Rolling Eyes

I lost interest after that until I came upon the signals on 20m.

After a quick look about I did come across the MMSSTV-YONIQ pages as well as the HamSoft site for a Windows version of SSTV software which is handy as my past experience was only with Linux and now have a Windows laptop.

It's pricked my interest enough to investigate it all further but I wondered if any of you out there in Charlie Tango land use or have played with HF SSTV at all?

Any useful input you could provide would be much appreciated but otherwise I'll try and grapple with it on my own.

I look forward to any and all responses. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d

All the best,
Victor

TheReverend likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 am

Hi Victor,

I think you may well be one step ahead of us all, so please bear with us whilst we catch up!!

Cheers,

Simon.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:04 am

Hi Simon,

Nah, SSTV has been around for ages. Wink

Only pricked my interest after hearing the signals on air so I decided to check it out further. Seems I can use my existing equipment I built for FT8 to utilise with SSTV so should be just a case of setting up the software.

I shall add it to my list of 'things to do or try' much as any other of the amateur radio interests. Let's just hope that when I give it a go some numpty doesn't whistle up over the transmissions.

Cheers for the reply though, thought this would be another 'unanswered' posting until I added something.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:08 am

Did have a quick play around with it the back end of last year.
Me and a m8 managed to send to each other but that was as far as we got.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 am

Nice one Alan mate. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d 

I'd like to give it a bash for a bit of SSTV DX on HF and see how it goes. I remember back in my 'yoof' playing around with VHF TV sets tuning them for European i-PAL and picking up Continental television. Probably my first experience of tropospheric propagation conditions thinking about it. All in the past now thanks to digital TV and nowadays I need a 24 element beam to pick up TV signals from the mahoosive Sandy Heath transmitter I can literally see on the horizon!?!?!  Shocked

Even then we're cabled nowadays so we don't have to put up with random blocks on screen whenever the neighbour fires up their lawnmower. Wink

Progress..........
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:00 am

Cable tv never got to Anglesey.
Will be 3 years until we get fibre to the property.
We are always the last but don't think cable tv will ever get here.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:09 am

I'd swap my cabled hundreds of TV channels with nothing interesting on any of the them for your coastal ground plane any day of the week Alan mate. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d 

(Still no Oceania or South America yet! That 'World Continents' is eluding me. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:59 am

We have 2 Firesticks with an App on them and with a yearly subscription we can get almost every tv channel in the world but Linda can never find anything to watch. 

15 out of 60 on the Oceania for me lol.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 am

Off topic now but there you go. Wink
(Bad Admin.)

15 Oceania contacts.....smug get. Very Happy

Here Alan, can you have imagine less than two years ago we were gearing up for taking the exam and now doing all this! I still get asked when I'm going to do Intermediate and I often tell them I'm just simply having too much fun at the moment. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 9:40 am

I remember it well lol.
The first thing i did when i passed was to buy the intermediate book from the book club.
To this day the package is sat unopened on the shelf.
Personally i am very happy where i am.
Never been a big power user even back in the 80's i loved to get a contact and turn the power down just to see how far and on how low a power i could get.
Early 90's i used to talk quite often to a guy called Ivan.
First contact with him was around 8 or 9am and he was a low signal to me and i asked where he was.
He told me Anglesey so i then asked where on the island and he came back with some funny name ???.
Turned out there is an Anglesey in Australia and we talked several times but one time i turned the power down to i think it was 2w and he still got me.
Happy day's and still getting them on my 10w so why stress myself out and you know how well i do that.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 9:41 am

Anybody got any input on sstv to stop us 2 old timers chatting lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 10:09 am

Never done anything with SSTV before. Thought I would have a little play this morning after reading your post. Only RX.

Started to follow a utube video by G5STU. Downloaded MMSTV, and my virus protection quarantined it. After half hour of playing with the virus protection software settings I got it out of quarantine but when I tried executing the exe nothing happened, so deleted the file.

Downloaded RX-SSTV. Installed with no issue and fired up a webSDR in the Nederland's. Within a few minutes I had decoded my first image on 20m. Very poor quality, but at least working.

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-010

Flicked around some other webSDRs and bands and soon had a few other better images come though.

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-011SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-012

Might try plugging the DX-300 receiver into the old slow laptop I use for logging at some point as the laptop has mic and speaker jacks. Don't want to mess around with the G90 for TX though for now, happy to just listen/view.

Can't really be any help at this time Victor as all new to me. Looks fun though.

Alan, that Intermediate manual.. whilst some of it looks intimidating and complex (at least to me), it's worth a scan through at least. I learned a few things good operations wise that I wouldn't of know about if I hadn't. But yes, in agreement with you both, I am having a lot of fun with what I am allowed right now and extra power does not interest me.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 10:35 am

Well done there Neal! SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d

Nicely done and thanks for the input, most appreciated.

I too had problems with the MMSSTV and went through the rigmarole of uninstalling, installing the old version then reinstalling all to no avail. (Started screaming at Windows and wishing I had Linux again! Very Happy ) Put it on the back burner but now going to try the software you used.

Glad you've had fun with it and after all that's what it's about and why I'd like to try it.

Good idea on the secondary receiver, I may well have to hook the old Lowe up to the other laptop and see what I get whilst doing other things.

Awesome stuff Neal....had to give you a thanks.

Yep, M7-itis at it's best....sounds like we're all having fun!

(Sorry Alan, MW7-itis too and all inclusive. Very Happy )

Oh, forgot about the Black Pearl Inn where we can shoot the breeze as much as we like even 'off topic'.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 am

Installed and worked straight away. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d

Nothing on air yet but I'll keep it running. Obviously RX only so I will have to get back to the MMSSTV software if I'm going to transmit.

Thanks again Neal. It's why I posted up knowing full well that many heads are better than one.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 11:40 am

Just had a look what software i had installed and it is MMSTV.
Unfortunately it is in this pc and not the pc connected to the radio.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Well......at least it filled in the proverbial five minutes :-

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-010
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-011
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-012
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-013
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-015
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-014
SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 2022-016

That was the best of the bunch with most images being a garbled mess!

Tried another 'sweetie' in the Ham radio sweetshop, not overly impressed so time to move onto the next. Wink

Always worth a try though. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 2:39 pm

As you said always worth a try.
When me and a m8 tried it i found it like watching paint dry but that's just me.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 9:25 pm

You got the receiving working though Victor, well done. To me it felt like watching loading screens appear on ZX Spectrum games in the '80s as the images came in. A bit nostalgic. The dirty misaligned head of a VHS player effect gives it even more '80s feel Laughing

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 am

Hi Lads,

Worth giving it a go even if for the briefest of interest. Wink

Ha! Yeah Neal, did feel like 'Manic Miner' or 'Jet Set Willy' was going to fire up after a picture load. Very Happy

Just like VHS image pause jitter it's a technology reminiscent of the 1980's and although my old Yaesu is that old too at least I've hooked her up to more modern transmission methods like FT8. (Which is actually way more interesting than first seems.)

Cheers again, much appreciated. SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m 1f44d
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2023 7:50 pm

I got MMSSTV working on my steam powered laptop that I have been using for digi modes today. It took a lot of messing about to get it running and then configured correctly, but once it was all done and a few images came through I managed to have my first complete SSTV QSO. Only Italy on 20m and they only gave me a 444, but for my first one and keeping to 10W I am happy Smile

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Iu5kzf10

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m   SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSTV (Slow Scan Television) on 20m
Page 1 of 1