Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what was your first radio and antenna
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 5:21 am by Numenius

» Help needed
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

Keywords
callsign president ALINCO power lincoln antenna display chart 2023 9900 frequency Sirio Baofeng call meter Mckinley 2022 list sign software Mobile 6900 ss9900 anytone yaesu supply
QRZ Database

president mckinley

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

Mckinley - president mckinley Empty
PostSubject: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 pm

Hi does anyone have a president mckinley rig and if so what are your thoughts on it review wise are they worth all the dosh  ?  affraid
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 6:50 am

A lot about that radio on here i did a quick search and this is just 1 of the many posts.
https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t2983-president-mckinley?highlight=mckinley

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 6:52 am

Hi 'skyrider'. (Sorry no name given here or in your profile.)

Many members here have or have had the President McKinley CB radio and judging by equipment lists as well as reviews it seems like a popular radio.

Nowadays with CB operators being much further apart than days of old a SSB or sidebander radio is a must with better transmission distances available with such modes. They're also helpful if you want to catch some 'skip' DX contacts being the preferred method of operation. (You can DX with FM and AM modes also though.)

Reviews for such radios should be taken on balance, if attached to a poor antenna setup then the apparent 'best' radio in the world won't perform very well. Worthwhile remembering that it's not just about the radio so account for an antenna, coax, power supply when running as a home base let alone any ancillary equipment such as SWR meters etc. within your budget.

Is it worth all the dosh?

Well it certainly is when you have the excitement of your first DX contact giving you a radio thrill! Wink

If you want to go further then the Radio Amateur Foundation exam costs less than £30 plus a bit of study. The equipment is a bit more expensive on the face of it but there are cheaper alternatives available and compared to a full blown CB setup can be fairly equivalent in price. Especially if you sling up a bit of wire cut to the right length as an antenna on the HF bands and on some bands far off contacts could happen almost every day.....even with the 10 Watt limit at Foundation. 

Even if only armed with a cheap 2m/70cm hand held radio you can fire up repeaters and manage equivalent or greater distance contacts than normally possible on a propagation devoid CB band. Far more likely to make a contact too.

Apologies for my 'mumblings' but there are many paths you can take to reach radio bliss it all being down to the choices you make and effort put in.

Is the McKinley worth it? That's pretty much up to you. Mckinley - president mckinley 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot and skyrider like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 7:04 pm

thanks very much for your thoughts Victor (im Lionel by the way) i still have my multimode 2 in a cupboard and i have had several home base antennas plus a pama power  mike with echo , and right now i think i need a rig with LSB/USB so i think i will have to go shopping thanks i will stay in touch i forgot to mention im in preston lancs

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 7:11 pm

Thanks for that Alan
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 pm

Hi Lionel, pleasure to make your acquaintance. Mckinley - president mckinley 1f44d

It sounds like you're pretty much all geared up and obviously have some past experience with CB radio.

Newer CB gear is great, (pretty much based on the circuitry of old just with fancy screens and microprocessor control), but there's many that lust and swear blind by the old gear. Probably won't be long before it all shifts over to SDR technology much like everything else.

CB Radio has definitely changed over the years and although there are many that have hung on it's nowhere near as busy as it once was. (We unfortunately lost a lot of faces & voices due to the passage of time.) Here's hoping the ramp up the current solar cycle brings back many on board and maybe attracts newer operators.

I expanded my interests by finally getting my 'ticket' and must admit that there's always something to do when the CB bands are quiet. (Shhh....I've hardly touched CB since turning to the 'dark side'. Wink )

I wish you all the best with your radio interests.

73's
Victor

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2022 9:27 pm

again thanks for that Victor plus two points would you happen to know if anyone is selling a president mckinley for reasonable money or if not a similar ssb rig with usb/lsb and  another one for you im surprised rigs have not gone digital like everything else  What a Face
Back to top Go down
TheReverend
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3921 / M7GDA
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Lambourn
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, CRT ONE N, CRT Electro, UV-5r, B550p, HP-202, Sirio 4000, T2lT, Sharmans X-50, Diamond A430....and many bits of wire.

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 2:00 am

Hi Lionel,

A very good question!!  I'd recommend the CRT SS9900 by way of an alternative bud.  It will give you an expansive frequency range across AM/FM/SSB modes, and it's absolutely fantastic!!  Have a look at kcb.co.uk and they'll sort you right out with the radio pre-programmed to all of the relevant frequencies chap.

Cheers,

Simon.

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 3:13 pm

thanks Simon i will have a look
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 4:26 pm

have you seen the one on ebay and what do you think about it  ?
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:06 pm

skyrider wrote:
have you seen the one on ebay and what do you think about it  ?
Hi Lionel, I take it you mean the 9900 if so there is 8 to 10 on Fleebay.

Tony
Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 6:55 pm

Hi Tony yes it has one bid on it at the moment at £120
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:06 pm

skyrider wrote:
Hi Tony yes it has one bid on it at the moment at £120
Ok Lionel, I didn't know you were looking on the auction section. I steer clear of auctions on Ebay myself as I'm a suspicious old bugger. Smile
Tony

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:12 pm

right what do you reckon go straight to a reputable shop/ dealer. how about kcb.co.uk    What a Face
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:21 pm

skyrider wrote:
right what do you reckon go straight to a reputable shop/ dealer
Lionel, please don't let me put you off the auction but I would prefer a dealer or a CTDX member to buy gear from.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Tony

skyrider likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:27 pm

yes i would really like to buy a rig off someone on CTDX they have more interest in what they are selling i will have to look on the classifieds
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:32 pm

do you ever use an amp on your radio Tony
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 7:42 pm

skyrider wrote:
do you ever use an amp on your radio Tony
I haven't used an amp since about 1985.
The Yaesu is 100W and the Space-U is about 17W which is plenty for me, in fact I rarely use more than 40W on 11M & 10W on 446.
On the Ham bands I am limited to 10W and stick to that.

Tony
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 pm

i think if you have a decent radio/antenna you are on to a winner

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: kpo dx-5000   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2022 3:59 pm

has anyone ever owned a kpo dx-5000 plus , kcb sell them and they look ok  Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: president mckinley   Mckinley - president mckinley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

president mckinley
Page 1 of 1