Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
list 2022 6900 software president Mobile call frequency meter sign callsign anytone lincoln ss9900 9900 2023 chart antenna power Mckinley display yaesu supply ALINCO Baofeng Sirio
QRZ Database

Best antenna position and mounting.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Best antenna position and mounting. Empty
PostSubject: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2022 10:52 pm

I have a sirio gainmaster 5/8 as well as two dipoles to play with.
I want to mount the Sirio at home and I have a 6' steel pole with T and K brackets, and clamps.

I'm hoping to get set up homebase before Christmas and set up in the shack in the conservatory 🤔😁

I've deleted some photos of my house walls but I'll take some more and welcome any advice .

I'm thinking of a 21' scaff pole mounted from the ground to be more secure rather than the 6' pole high up.

I look forward to a discussion, advice, and most importantly an outcome 😁

Cheers.

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 6:34 am

I had a gainmaster and it was mounted with the base around 12ft from the ground.
It did work well i found but i live by the sea.
I did guy mine as the winds we get can be a bit strong but i did see one mounted on a chimney stack locally and it stood up in some big winds for the last 3 years..(did notice it was gone last week).

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 10:12 am

Best antenna position?

For the Sirio it would be pointing up to the sky with the coax at the bottom! Very Happy

Honestly, joking aside Nige just simply get it up wherever and however you can mate. There's nothing better than a bit of forward planning for such things so that the antenna doesn't fall down or even you off a ladder but you can waste a lot of time with indecision never getting on air.

For the dipoles most mount them vertically too but for those that mount them horizontally they'll be shocked by the amount of reduction in 'noise' they give. It'll only be any good for DX activity though where polarisation doesn't matter but there'll be too much loss with local vertically polarised contacts.

I like your thinking of a longer scaffold pole though and a solution many have found to be practical. Easier to place multiple fixings spread over the load and 'Terra-firma' stops it dropping down....but not over. Wink

However you finally decide I hope you have fun, keep safe and enjoy getting on the air with a more worthy antenna plus the creature comforts of operating from home.

All the best,
Victor

Tristar and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 12:02 pm

Cheers fellas,
What was gone Alan, the chimney? 🤣
I definitely won't be mounting mine on the chimney 👍🏼

I've been watching some YouTube videos this morning and Fred in the shed put a 20' (approximately) pole up from the ground and I think he loosens the brackets and slides it up from time to time . Oooer mrs 🤣
I'll have another look later. Seems a good idea.
My thoughts included drilling into the patio so the pole sank a few inches to aid stability.

That's a thought Victor.
I have two firestick dv27's and need a 3/8 centre for dipole. I'm going to mount it at the caravan, vertical only of course.
And a good height at 12' and a 6' pole as I'm near overhead cables.
Saying that, I could maybe have it adjustable to go horizontal too 🤔

The other dipole as you say, I could mount horizontal  at home and have a two way antenna switch, maybe even three as I have a 4' pole for a PMR antenna when I get one 😁🤔

Yes your right Victor, you will probably be screaming at me through your pc screen come Christmas, "GET THAT BLEEDING ANTENNA UP" 👍🏼🤣  ⛄🌲santa
Back to top Go down
Les-1
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Les-1

Call Sign : 26CT739 / 26GB739
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Superstar 3900n, Magnum S9, Cobra 148 GTL DX, Superstar 360 FM, Nato 2000, Lafayette 1200, Hygain V, Albrecht AE2990AFS, Cobra uk29 LTD ST, York jcb 863, York jcb 861, Uniden Uniace 200, Midland 4001, RM KLV550, RM KL400, Zetagi B300P, Sirio GainMaster, T2LT, 7' Firestik, Atron99, 18' Silver rod, Sadelta Echo Master plus, Astatic echomax 2000, Moonraker power mic

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 4:10 pm

Best antenna position and mounting. Gainma11
Hi there, I purchased these 2 inch diameter poles in 2011 for my Sirio Gainmaster.
https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d167_Poles-_-Masts.html
I have been using 2 poles with a nut & bolt through the middle of the interlocking part as precaution as i get battered by the wind and mounted on t & k backets so height is 20 feet off ground I can add more if needed but work well.
It needs to come down next year now for maintenance (I may raise it up another 2 foot)
hope this helps.

Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2022 4:40 pm

Les-1 wrote:
Hi there, I purchased these 2 inch diameter poles in 2011 for my Sirio Gainmaster.
https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d167_Poles-_-Masts.html
I have been using 2 poles with a nut & bolt through the middle of the interlocking part as precaution as i get battered by the wind and mounted on t & k backets so height is 20 feet off ground I can add more if needed but work well.
i'll try & take a picture when i can, it needs to come down next year now for maintenance (I may raise it up another 2 foot)
hope this helps.

Thanks Les, I'm hoping to scrounge a 21' scaffolding tube for nowt lol. Aluminium if possible but will more likely be steel.

Les-1 likes this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2022 7:53 am

Free standing tower about 40ft should do well away from the house
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2022 12:30 pm

chazwozza wrote:
Free standing tower about 40ft should do well away from the house

I'll pass on that thanks 👍🏼🤣
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best antenna position and mounting.   Best antenna position and mounting. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best antenna position and mounting.
Page 1 of 1