Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
DX button Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
DX button Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
DX button Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
DX button Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
supply sign Mobile 6900 list ss9900 frequency yaesu display antenna Sirio 2023 call ALINCO 9900 chart lincoln Mckinley 2022 president Baofeng anytone callsign power meter software
QRZ Database

DX button

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

DX button Empty
PostSubject: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2023 9:07 pm

Hi where is the DX and LOCAL button on a president mc kinley thanks  What a Face
Back to top Go down
Miura
Contributor
Contributor
Miura

Call Sign : 26-CT-4388
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cirencester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 | Ranger RCI-2995 DX HP | Sirio 2008 Antenna

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 am

Hmm…not sure I understand your query 🤔
Back to top Go down
https://gc20.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 7:33 am

Hi Lionel,

I've seen the DX/Local type of switch on older radios but also on newer models like the Midland Alan 48 Pro.

On the older radios they were usually wired up as an RF attenuator so similar to turning the RF gain all the way down but some were also wired as the low/high RF power switch. Strangely the Midland I mention has both RF gain controls and a DX/Local switch so without perusing a circuit diagram or manual am unsure why it would have both.

There doesn't seem to be such a facility on the McKinley unless hidden in the modern day trend of 'menu' options and not owning one I wouldn't be able to verify this for you. (Someone who owns one may be able to chip in here.)

I personally wouldn't worry and simply utilise the RF gain as needed (I know many crank it all the way up and leave it there) but it can be a useful control when used wisely.

Enjoy your radio and all the best,

Victor

glenn dog and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 7:58 am

I have not found the Dx , Local option on my Mk kinley, I have 2 of them, both have had the wire cut to expand them.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Miura
Contributor
Contributor
Miura

Call Sign : 26-CT-4388
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cirencester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 | Ranger RCI-2995 DX HP | Sirio 2008 Antenna

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 9:29 am

I own 2 McKinleys and have never seen any DX/Local switch on them, hence my above bewilderment. I expanded both a long time ago. Sturdy radios. Very good receive and modulation. Weak microphone, hard to read the frequency numbers on the small screen and a pain to fiddle with ref and pwr as you need to always push a combination of 2 to 3 keys to access those and other functions.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://gc20.pagesperso-orange.fr/
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 7:32 pm

Right thanks for your input people i will just keep using it as it is i was using it last night and everything seemed ok i was talking to someone for some time

glenn dog, Victor and Miura like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2023 9:07 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Lionel,

I've seen the DX/Local type of switch on older radios but also on newer models like the Midland Alan 48 Pro.

On the older radios they were usually wired up as an RF attenuator so similar to turning the RF gain all the way down but some were also wired as the low/high RF power switch. Strangely the Midland I mention has both RF gain controls and a DX/Local switch so without perusing a circuit diagram or manual am unsure why it would have both.

There doesn't seem to be such a facility on the McKinley unless hidden in the modern day trend of 'menu' options and not owning one I wouldn't be able to verify this for you. (Someone who owns one may be able to chip in here.)

I personally wouldn't worry and simply utilise the RF gain as needed (I know many crank it all the way up and leave it there) but it can be a useful control when used wisely.

Enjoy your radio and all the best,

Victor

Thanks Victor, careful use of the RF gain is a must.
The op can still work DX with RF gain turned down.

glenn dog and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2023 6:52 am

Never a truer word said Mike and often missed or even dismissed by many. DX button 1f44d 

It is something that anyone can easily discover by simply turning down the RF gain on a difficult to read signal to see if it improves any and often ignoring the S-meter whilst doing it. 

On my old Yaesu FT757 the S-meter rises or goes up as you turn the RF gain down and you only have to match the needle to where the noise levels are to immediately hear the benefits. It also has quite a fierce RF ATT (Attenuator) control of -20dB and often pressing it makes the S-meter plummet to nothing but the signal comes popping through (often after turning the volume up) even though the meter is barely flinching. This is similar to what a DX/Local switch would do although most radios have them set to about -10dB.

There is also the added advantage of using such methods in that you can effectively defeat the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuitry in your radio if you have a nearby strong signal affecting you. If one of the local Hams is on the same band as me although on a different frequency my meter and signal volume will 'dip' like crazy from overloading of the radio front end with the AGC pumping in like mad. A press of that button or turning the RF gain down often stops that from happening.

I always thrill at the operator who 'drive' their radio like they were running a steam engine with a twist of a knob here, a button push there and a tweak of a control such as the ATU or transmatch to literally 'pull' in those radio signals. (Our very own Neal - SangueG had an awesome video of him on his little Xiegu with fingers tweaking controls like a true expert. Smile )

It might seem counterintuitive to turn down the RF gain and especially in an age where radio performance is rated by it's dB or microvolt sensitivity/rating, but AGC circuits are not perfect and although advances have been made with SDR and DSP circuitry the issues remain the same.

That RF gain control is still there on many radios for a very good reason.  DX button 1f44d

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2023 8:34 pm

that's the spirit Victor keep twiddling and it will all come right in the end  Laughing

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2023 7:02 am

Ah, for some Lionel it might appear to be 'twiddling' and for others it's knowing how to operate their radio. Wink
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2023 1:54 pm

excellent stuff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DX button Empty
PostSubject: Re: DX button   DX button Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DX button
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Multimode, Export and Sideband Radio-
Jump to: