Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
2022 Baofeng supply Mckinley Mobile yaesu power chart Sirio list display lincoln 6900 2023 anytone software frequency ALINCO call meter 9900 president ss9900 antenna sign callsign
QRZ Database

Decoding CW received via SDR

Go down 
+3
SangueG
Alan Pilot
iRadio
7 posters
AuthorMessage
iRadio
iRadio

Call Sign : 26-CT-4744
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Wigan
Equipment Used : CRT SS 9900 V4 - Solarcon iMAX-2000 - Sirio Performer 5000 PL

Decoding CW received via SDR Empty
PostSubject: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2023 11:53 am

Hi Guy's,

I have been playing around with my RTL SDR device that has been laying in a drawer for a few years. This time I actually spent the time in getting to grips with an SDR program (SDR Console) to the extent that I got it up and running to do what it's intended to do, namely find activity on the band in question so I can then tune my SS9900 onto it.

Anyway, as you do I was tuning around in SDR and came across the usual CW taking place at the bottom end of most bands and this got me wondering what software solutions were out there for those like me who never learned Morse Code. I came across a little program called CWGet which is intended to decode CW from your transceiver.

After a bit of lateral thinking I managed to get SDR Console to route the output to a Virtual Audio Cable and from there I was able to get CWGet to hear and decode the CW signals being received.

I just thought I would share it with you in case anyone else wanted to spend a few hours killing time Smile

Decoding CW received via SDR 47298710

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2023 1:10 pm

Nice one Mark.
I had a go at this 2 or 3 years ago but gave up.
Think i still have it will look it out over the weekend and have another try.

iRadio likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2023 5:49 am

Thanks for posting. I am sure some others might want to give this a try. 

I've read in many places that it can be very hard for computers to decode Morse due to the analogue nature of the code. Some software seems to do better than others. I suspect if you keep watching decodes that you'll see some outputs clearer than others depending on the skill of the operating keyer. Occasionally you'll get perfect decodes, especially during contests where people are using computers to send the code.

The G90 has a built in decoder, but clearly is using a very different piece of inbuilt software to do the job as although outputs are often not bad and quite readable, there are equally as often a lot of spurious 'e' and 'i's in the decodes.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2023 8:16 pm

CW Skimmer by Afreet is the best for decoding morse by far. Can decode multiple streams, can change frequency of the radio when you click on one, will do callsign lookup for amateur callsigns. Definitely worth paying for. 

https://www.dxatlas.com/CwSkimmer/
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2023 3:54 am

I've been attempting to learn morse for a few months now, and slowly making progress.  Best decoder I have found is the Wolfwave box form Sotabeams - nothing else comes close, though I'm led to believe Elecraft receivers are also excellent.  I've never had any luck with the PC based ones.

What I can say is it's worth the effort to learn....and your brain does a better job or decoding "bad" sending (Where the timing is off) than the software, as the software expects perfect timing on characters, between characters and between words.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2023 4:18 pm

My KN 990 SDR is capable of decoding Morse, it's a great little radio, very versatile.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 6:13 am

Have tried a lot of different CW decoders they all fall down on hand sent stuff.

I have the Preppcom MMX Zero but that to does not like hand sent stuff but it does try to decode.

The only way to decode hand sent is to learn CW and get to 20 or 25wpm and your good to go.

If you want to dabble with higher speed machine code then a Preppcom MMX Zero, expensive, or
CW Decoder, free, will do the job.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decoding CW received via SDR   Decoding CW received via SDR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decoding CW received via SDR
Page 1 of 1