Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
First Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
First Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
First Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
First Setup Icon_minitimeToday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
First Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
First Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
First Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:52 pm by Razz229

» New member (Issued)
First Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:43 pm by GaryWilson

» 27.555 usb from a longwire
First Setup Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:45 pm by stephen Gunrunner

Keywords
software callsign 6900 Mckinley 9900 frequency Baofeng meter yaesu Mobile list Sirio supply lincoln ss9900 anytone 2022 ALINCO antenna chart display power call 2023 sign president
QRZ Database

First Setup

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RedArrow

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cambridgeshire
Equipment Used : RCH B40FM / Moonraker SWR-125 / T2LT Antenna

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeFri Mar 10, 2023 8:30 pm

Hi there everyone I'm just starting up on CB again its been a wile last time i used one was back in the 90's

I managed to salvage a old school CB RCH B40FM  radio  receiver with original mic but that's all i have so far.

would anyone out there be able let me know what other parts ill be needing to get this ol boy going again

I have been looking at getting a T2LT antenna with a SO239 connector but i wasn't sure if i needed anything else

Thanks in advance for anyone who could help me out!
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 12:16 am

Hi Redarrow.
Assuming you have your radio, antenna and coax cable from antenna, you'll need a Pl259 connector to fit to the so239 on the back of your radio.
A 3-5 amp power supply or 12v battery.
And a swr meter to check your antenna is tuned in and not reflecting too much power back into your radio.

RedArrow likes this post

Back to top Go down
RedArrow

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 7:54 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:
Hi Redarrow.
Assuming you have your radio, antenna and coax cable from antenna, you'll need a Pl259 connector to fit to the so239 on the back of your radio.
A 3-5 amp power supply or 12v battery.
And a swr meter to check your antenna is tuned in and not reflecting too much power back into your radio.
Hi Sharpshooter thanks for the info its much appreciated!!

Yes i have the radio but as of yet no antenna and coax cable, I'm interested in getting  a T2LT antenna, have been looking online for one but I'm not to sure what I'm looking for to be honest so thought i would reach out to someone with more knowledge than my self as I'm starting from scratch so to say, i do have some experience with CB but i was very young back in the day but such as life i never carried it on. 
Ive been doing some research and learning in my spare time to get back in form just need some advice along the way.

The system i want to run will be a home based set up so i assume ill need a 3-5 amp power supply then is that correct?
The radio i have is one that needs to be plugged into a wall socket.

would you be able to provide me some links to the items you have stated please with a reasonable price range?

I could upload some pictures of what I'm working with if this helps.

Thank you again for your reply bud!!
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2023 11:20 pm

Hi Redarrow, I'm pretty new too having just returned to radio last year. I'm still sorting out things 👍🏼😁

If your radio is homebase and can plug into mains 240 then great 👍🏼
Have a look on knights electrocom website for power supplies etc if not.

This is a good forum for help and you will get more as you go along.

Victor and RedArrow like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 9:16 am

Hi RedArrow, (my apologies but no name in your profile or given here),

The B40FM (DNT B40FM) was an unusual radio compared to other home base units having a small mains power supply tacked onto the back of what looked essentially like a typical mobile rig. As you rightly state it simply plugs straight into the mains so you don't need an external power supply unit.

The first thing to ask is if this radio is operational? (Lights up etc. when you plug it in.) The only reason for asking is that you don't want to be forking out for antennas and stuff if it doesn't work, obviously.

The other thing to consider is that this is a straight 4 Watt UK 40 channel radio and unless you know you have contacts in your locality you may well be left disappointed. I know that when I first came back to the airwaves CB activity in my area was lacklustre and I sat for many days (and weeks!) without hearing a peep despite calling out on a regular basis.  In the end I got my Ham licence and have never before been so busy with my radio activities. First Setup 1f44d

Totally up to you though and an antenna such as the T2LT you mention is cheap enough to give it a try. You just never know, you might call out on channel 19 and get an answer straight away from a local breaker and have a good old chinwag. Smile

With CB activity nowadays a lot of the action is on the SSB (Single Side Band) modes giving further range with a suitable homebase antenna or sat with a mobile setup on high ground....and the fun really starts when the propagation conditions or 'skip' comes in!

I wish you well with your ventures and as Nige (Sharpshooter) has already mentioned there are a lot of helpful people here at Charlie Tango only too happy to help out.

All the best,
Victor

RedArrow likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
RedArrow

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 5:25 pm

Thanks Sharpshooter its good to hear CB is making a come back!!
I mean who knows with everything that is going on in the mad house as of late it might our only means on coms ha ha

Thanks for the link ill be checking that out in a wile, and yes couldn't agree more from first impressions you guys have been more than helpful!
I found this forum through Fred's YouTube channel and now I'm glad i signed up!
Back to top Go down
RedArrow

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2023 6:05 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi RedArrow, (my apologies but no name in your profile or given here),

The B40FM (DNT B40FM) was an unusual radio compared to other home base units having a small mains power supply tacked onto the back of what looked essentially like a typical mobile rig. As you rightly state it simply plugs straight into the mains so you don't need an external power supply unit.

The first thing to ask is if this radio is operational? (Lights up etc. when you plug it in.) The only reason for asking is that you don't want to be forking out for antennas and stuff if it doesn't work, obviously.

The other thing to consider is that this is a straight 4 Watt UK 40 channel radio and unless you know you have contacts in your locality you may well be left disappointed. I know that when I first came back to the airwaves CB activity in my area was lacklustre and I sat for many days (and weeks!) without hearing a peep despite calling out on a regular basis.  In the end I got my Ham licence and have never before been so busy with my radio activities. First Setup 1f44d

Totally up to you though and an antenna such as the T2LT you mention is cheap enough to give it a try. You just never know, you might call out on channel 19 and get an answer straight away from a local breaker and have a good old chinwag. Smile

With CB activity nowadays a lot of the action is on the SSB (Single Side Band) modes giving further range with a suitable homebase antenna or sat with a mobile setup on high ground....and the fun really starts when the propagation conditions or 'skip' comes in!

I wish you well with your ventures and as Nige (Sharpshooter) has already mentioned there are a lot of helpful people here at Charlie Tango only too happy to help out.

All the best,
Victor
Hi there Victor no worries Ive yet to fill my profile out fully as of yet, I'm Ant nice to meet you and thanks for your message.

Yes its funny you say that Vic as when i was giving it the once over i thought to my self has someone just wired this up to be a Homebase station, as i thought it might have been a mobile rig.

To confirm your question -  I have plugged it in and powered it up works completely fine lights up mic is keying properly so where all good in that respect.

Yes that i shall take into consideration I'm located in the Fenland area i was a Refuse Loader for 10 years and on my travels i had spotted at few Antenna masts dotted about.
I'm interested in obtaining my HAM license but i figured i better crawl before  i walk as such ha ha.

I assume i still need a SWR meter with this rig as Nige (sharpshooter) mentioned?

When you say SSB is this the same a DXing? sorry if that sounded a stupid question I'm still trying to put together the lingo and that good stuff picking it up fairly quickly, but i think ill certainly be looking into getting a more up to date rig in the future no doubt.

Thanks again for you reply mate
Ant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First Setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Setup   First Setup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Setup
Page 1 of 1