Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
power ALINCO call chart president Mckinley 6900 meter Mobile sign anytone 9900 software yaesu 2022 Sirio Baofeng ss9900 frequency callsign antenna supply list display lincoln 2023
QRZ Database

Antenna Earthing.

Go down 
+4
skyrider
Sharpshooter
Alan Pilot
Tonyvic
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 3:42 pm

Is there any truth in the theory that if the Antenna metal mounting pole is Earthed to a ground Via a copper rod driven into the ground, that this will reduce the back ground hash ?
scratch
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 3:50 pm

Can't wait to read conflicting answers, as for me "my lips are sealed". Yep, I'm a coward! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 4:11 pm

Does nothing for my setup.
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 4:35 pm

I haven't a clue 🤷😁
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 5:47 pm

Tonyvic,be careful sitting on the high fence..lol
But seriously I do have a 3/4” diameter and 4 feet in length copper rod hammered in the ground.Which in turn is connected to my bottom mast pole by 12 mm copper wire.(That nearly cost as much as the antenna)
Then in my coax just after the Antenna is a Lightning Arrestor,Now my reasoning behind all that is not to try and remove any hash,Snap,crackle and pop,But to give an electrical path and hopefully dissipate any static discharge voltage to the earth.I don’t pretend to be any expert but I have asked all this to Victor a long time ago.Yes I know if Zeus looked down and decided to send a billion volts of thunderbolt crashing down into my beam it would be melted within a millisecond and that would be life but the main point of the arrestor is to make a break between my antenna and the surge of current zapping down my coax,Entering my house and melting my radio.Just as I’m holding the mic saying CQ CQ C……⚡💀⚡

And as for noise on the bands I think it’s just the world we live in with wifi this and wifi that and kids electric scooters and Laptop chargers.My house is full of them and I almost drove myself potty trying to eliminate the problem.A few things I tried were a Common mode choke,Clip on ferrite rings and if your radio has a few filters like NB or ANL you could just see if they help.I’m sure others on this forum have a different opinion or even a better fix and I look forward to hearing them because it’s all helpful in the end.
Cheers Tom
26CT4029

Last edited by Chickenfoot@1987 on Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2023 8:04 pm

well i was told by a forum member a while ago to take the earth lead off mine as it would turn my ant into a lightening conductor so i did  affraid
Back to top Go down
babis3g
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
babis3g

Call Sign : 18-CT-006
QTH or Location : Corfu Greece, jm99ug
Equipment Used : PNI 6500 & Sirio Boomerang 27A

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 9:26 pm

i don't believe grounding the pole will improve reception ..

From experience with lighting ... if a strong lighting will hit near by/very close ... no matter what to do, will damage the equipment ...
In a rural village i have lost 2 modems 1 is damaged but partly working ... a friend have lost an expensive meteorological station named Davis ... at a neighbor TV had a thin vertical permanent line in the middle of the screen after striking

When was listening with my scanner at VHF could hear the electric company technicians saying at few cases that some wooden poles will get in fire after striking & once i heard reporting that one electric substation damaged because of the very strong lighting bypassed the security lighting protection...

ΕDIT .. 5 years ago here at village 2 caws was dead because they stayed under a tall tree, i was witness because i went & see it with my eyes (& imagine when i was younger was going for hunting & started raining was going also under the trees thinking is better  LOL)

Perhaps a far or weak lighting sure will help a bit if is any protection or measurement, but very close direct not sure if anything helps

i am also suspecting what mentioned above post, grounding the pole there is a case to help lighting hits better, but not sure on that, because anyway strong lighting likes sharp objects like cb antenna (hits easy these kind of objects)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLwycXZhdgesb28ovl5Umw
babis3g
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
babis3g

Call Sign : 18-CT-006
QTH or Location : Corfu Greece, jm99ug
Equipment Used : PNI 6500 & Sirio Boomerang 27A

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2023 10:06 pm

perhaps the right way to ground for protection is how Sirio manual stating at page 2, apart the pole adding static discharge unit
https://www.sirioantenne.it/images/pdf/manuals/id-037_06-12-2019_gpe_gps.pdf
(recently looking this model i was interesting) but again hitting almost direct thousands of volts not sure if all these will help
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLwycXZhdgesb28ovl5Umw

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 7:51 am

babis3g wrote:
perhaps the right way to ground for protection is how Sirio manual stating at page 2, apart the pole adding static discharge unit
https://www.sirioantenne.it/images/pdf/manuals/id-037_06-12-2019_gpe_gps.pdf
(recently looking this model i was interesting) but again hitting almost direct thousands of volts not sure if all these will help
Very interesting thank you for this  Antenna Earthing. 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 06, 2023 9:31 pm

The pole is not part of the antenna or should not be so it will most likely not help.
Best bet is to have choke at or near the feed point and another where the coax comes into the shack.
Also get the best screened coax you can afford.
You also want a good mains filter for the mains feeding the shack.

I have done all this and it does drop the noise a bit but it's not foolproof.
Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 8:48 am

Aye air choke near feed point of aerial will make more difference to noise than turning it into a lightning conductor.Most antenna mount systems seem to be metal pole based anyhow so cant really see it adding anything although if house mounted via brackets i suppose it would be a good idea
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 2:37 pm

The mounting pole is mounted to the house via 2 steel brackets.
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: My Lightning conductor    Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 9:30 pm

Antenna Earthing. 2Q== Its a start Embarassed
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 pm

WHEELNUT wrote:
Antenna Earthing. 2Q== Its a start Embarassed

I'm sure I've seen that antenna somewhere else Laughing Where did you get it?
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 8:14 am

Its my 4ft Firestick on top of my Old flagpole I got it from Navada

Ahem The Big boy is going up soon, That one You will have seen before  Smile Antenna Earthing. 9k=
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 9:21 am

Hello WHEELNUT,Cracking antenna I use one sometimes for static mobile and have worked around the world with it.
Getting back to your question as it seemed to change to the subject of lightening and who’s antenna is the biggest conductor. Lol
Look at making a Common mode choke on your coax,There’s loads of stuff about the subject on YouTube,Basically it’s making turns in your coax around a 100mm piece of tubing and there are different amounts of turns for what type of coax you use.It stops RF coming back down you antenna coax and into the radio causing QRM,Also clip on Clam type ferrite rings
Have a look I’m sure your get a better explanation watching it on YouTube.
Hope that was of some help.
Cheers Tom. 26CT4029
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 10:07 am

Chickenfoot@1987 wrote:
Hello WHEELNUT,Cracking antenna I use one sometimes for static mobile and have worked  around the world with it.
Getting back to your question as it seemed to change to the subject of lightening and who’s antenna is the biggest conductor. Lol
Look at making a Common mode choke on your coax,There’s loads of stuff about the subject on YouTube,Basically it’s making turns in your coax around a 100mm piece of tubing and there are different amounts of turns for what type of coax you use.It stops RF coming back down you antenna coax and into the radio causing QRM,Also clip on Clam type ferrite rings
Have a look I’m sure your get a better explanation watching it on YouTube.
Hope that was of some help.
Cheers Tom.   26CT4029
Been doing some research, and I came up with the same answers you gave.
When I was a Truck Driver, around Europe back around the 80s I had a Firestick  fixed on the cab roof and made some very long distance contact.

PS I Did keep an eye on the bridges thou  lol!
Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2023 5:41 pm

Well that makes my mind up NO ANTENNA EARTHING HERE cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antenna Earthing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antenna Earthing.   Antenna Earthing. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antenna Earthing.
Page 1 of 1