Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
callsign power ALINCO president call 9900 2022 6900 software meter lincoln Mckinley antenna supply ss9900 2023 frequency Baofeng list anytone Sirio yaesu sign display Mobile chart
QRZ Database

FT8 Adventures

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 8:11 am

Unusual for me, haven't posted for a few days, have been having fun getting to grips with JTDX and GridTracker. It seems my mess of an antenna is getting out and best so far are The Dominican Republic and Trinidad and Tobago. Have 121 confirmed contacts, slowly getting there, Alan! Have pretty much got every country in Europe, so am really happy with that.

One thing that does annoy me is hams replying then dropping you after a message then going straight on to something better, had a couple of those.

10m is not working for me, too much noise, and it disconnects my internet, 17m strangely disconnects my USB keyboard, that aside am having fun on the other bands, makes taking the licence all worthwhile.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 9:02 am

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you doing so well with your new licence and enjoying the rewards that FT8 digi-modes can bring.

As for Hams 'dropping' you it may be worth hanging on for a bit to see if you get an eventual response from the first contact. Sometimes stations can be flooded with calls and do their very best to answer all in turn or systematically and may eventually get back to you. (I have this happen often and patience is key.) I only tend to give up and move on or else try them again if they restart a CQ cycle. QSB (signal fading) and propagation effects can come and go quite rapidly!

Always worth checking PSKReporter to see how far your signals are going out.

10m is a very quiet band usually (local QRM aside) when there is little propagation so if it gets 'noisy' it's often worth hanging around for some action. FT8 Adventures 1f44d

I think you may need to address some RF feedback issues from your antenna setup with some kind of Common Mode Choke if your transmissions are affecting your other equipment so much. My antenna is just above me in the loft but the introduction of such alleviated all and any problems. (Like you I used to lose internet whenever I transmitted on 10m at first.....let's hope you aren't knocking out any neighbours!)

Have you performed your EMC calculations yet?

https://rsgb.org/main/technical/emc/

https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/headlines/2021/12/03/new-web-based-rsgb-emf-calculator/

Often worth it to avoid any situations and also compliance of your license let alone cover your butt should you get a 'knock at the door'.

Have fun. FT8 Adventures 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2023 9:18 am

As Victor said you have an RF issue.
I knock my internet off on 40m but if i move the PWR slider down and slowly one click at a time bring it back up i am ok one click after every transmission that is.
I do get some good distance on 10m but location and all that come into play i think well on all bands
A m8 of mine 18 miles as the crow fly's from me can be getting loads and me nothing and another day it's me getting loads not him.
I love the mode and often run ft4 getting some good contacts on 10m with that.
30m at this time of day i get the USA like shooting fish in a barrel.(my m8 hates that he can't work 30m lol)...
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2023 6:01 am

13oots2 wrote:
Unusual for me, haven't posted for a few days, have been having fun getting to grips with JTDX and GridTracker. It seems my mess of an antenna is getting out and best so far are The Dominican Republic and Trinidad and Tobago. Have 121 confirmed contacts, slowly getting there, Alan! Have pretty much got every country in Europe, so am really happy with that.

One thing that does annoy me is hams replying then dropping you after a message then going straight on to something better, had a couple of those.

10m is not working for me, too much noise, and it disconnects my internet, 17m strangely disconnects my USB keyboard, that aside am having fun on the other bands, makes taking the licence all worthwhile.

As Victor said, chokes at antenna and one just as coax enters shack.

Put ferrites on all leads.

Get some snap on 43mix and wind on a few turns on USB and power leads.
If you have to buy extra long USB cables so ferrites can be put on both ends.

I have done this on my setup and 100watts HF just 7metres away is no problem.

Best USB cables I found are Lindy screened ones, they do various lengths and types.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 7:29 am

Welll! I haven't had much luck over the past few days, it seems the internet and keyboard problems were unrelated. 3 of my USB ports have failed on my motherboard and the internet was a faulty faceplate on the wall.

To round it all of had to install Windows about 30 times before it did what I needed with some old hardware. The bad news is I lost my 138 contacts on FT8 as I didn't have a chance to backup JTDX as all my USB's were non functional after an update Sad

Moral of the story backup your FT8 software on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 7:41 am

Sorry to hear of your hardware and software issues Mark. Might be a good idea going forward to get your contacts uploaded to one of the cloud based logging platforms like LotW, QRZ, Clublog, Station Master Cloud etc etc either real time time, or manually at the end of your radio session by uploading your adif. Nothing is 100% safe, but uploading to one two or more of those reduces the risk of losing the info for good.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 8:22 am

13oots2 wrote:
Welll! I haven't had much luck over the past few days, it seems the internet and keyboard problems were unrelated. 3 of my USB ports have failed on my motherboard and the internet was a faulty faceplate on the wall.

To round it all of had to install Windows about 30 times before it did what I needed with some old hardware. The bad news is I lost my 138 contacts on FT8 as I didn't have a chance to backup JTDX as all my USB's were non functional after an update Sad

Moral of the story backup your FT8 software on a regular basis.

Back ups are a must with anything pc wise.

I don't back up WSJT-X as such but once a month I copy the all.txt and start a new one.

My actual log is Hamradio Delux and every time I shut down it backs up to my Onedrive.
Plus I can download LOTW and still have the log.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 8:38 am

Ain't computers fun...NOT!

Sorry to hear about your IT woes there Mark.

I'll have to echo Neal's suggestions as far as cloud based data and I upload all my FT8 contacts regularly on QRZ. Mind you I also back up my ADIF files regularly on an open file USB stick should the worst happen and saves me from shelling out for a QRZ subscription.

Back when I first started a couple or so years back on an old (2007!) PC I ran Linux to try and keep up with everything but eventually got lucky after my missus gave me her laptop when she finished her test-&-trace job. A modern laptop and Windows 11 have been quite the revelation. Wink

Don't beat yourself up too much about losing your logs.
It might become a pain when someone refuses to contact you again on FT8 because according to their own logs you've already made contact but some are quite accommodating. I put a message up on my QRZ page for a while when I lost my first logs explaining as such and regained as well as reconfirmed a lot of contacts I initially made that I remembered. (Some still flatly refused to answer though?!?)

At least your IT problems have been now rather than back when you took your online exam!

(I panicked like mad on my exam when I momentarily lost audio!!)

I wish you the best with any progress you make. FT8 Adventures 1f44d
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2023 12:08 pm

I have it sorted now, installed to an SSD that is independent to Windows, will make backups of backups to my storage drives. Once a week, I will upload to Google Drive as an off-site backup.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2023 9:11 am

Am still having fun with FT8, even got our Alan on 30m a couple of days ago. I saw it was from North Wales and put out a couple of CQ calls, was really pleased with that. Am Now up to 126 confirmed QSL's, shame I lost the first 138. QSK reporter showed me as heard in Australia, Tasmania and China the other day, so my setup is getting out there

Am saving up for my dream Icom 7300 and will be 75% of the way to a second hand one next week, another month should see me there.

20m still sees me with a buzz on my headphones despite me using a dirty balun, have bought a load of snap on ferrites to see if that cures the problem.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FT8 Adventures Empty
PostSubject: Re: FT8 Adventures   FT8 Adventures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FT8 Adventures
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: The Amateur Lounge :: Amateur Discussions-
Jump to: