Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeToday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
2022 Mobile ALINCO supply callsign chart call yaesu list president antenna lincoln 9900 meter software ss9900 display Mckinley frequency Baofeng sign power 6900 Sirio 2023 anytone
QRZ Database

Vertical antenna missing piece.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Empty
PostSubject: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeMon May 29, 2023 11:25 pm

Hi all. Just a quick enquiry. I have a Venom Silver rod that following our house move I have gone to erect the last few days, unfortunately I have discovered that the very end section has disappeared, I can only assume it slipped from the bundle during the move. Living in Ireland it is very expensive to get anything sent here so I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a suggestion on how I can get round this issue. Thanks in advance.

73s

Michael
Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2023 10:43 pm

No answers so obviously no-one else has ever had this issue.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2023 3:08 am

To me, there is only one solution, it looks as if you will have to bite the bullet and order another section.  Probably not what you wanted to hear, possibly a little harsh too, it could be an opportunity to upgrade to something a little more Gucci as buying a top section would probably cost nearly as much as a new antenna.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2023 7:32 am

Hi Michael,

It might be worth checking inside the aluminium tubes you still have to make sure the smaller one hasn't slid down into one of them. (I had a friend who did this fuming that his wife had somehow 'lost' a section of his antenna when moving it from the garage and sure enough the 'lost' section was inside one of the others!! Very Happy )

As you mention ordering a spare might involve a bit of cost and in the long run it may be not much more expensive to buy a replacement/upgraded antenna. (Bite in the backside I know but often the case.)

Unless you can get hold of another aluminium tube of the right diameter locally and cut it to the right length that may be your best option.

You could always try a 'bodge' repair but it might be doomed to failure, steel pipe being dissimilar metal (think corrosion) let alone heavier (on top of the other aluminium ones) and wires or aluminium tape covered wooden dowels let alone similar 'ingenious' solutions won't hold up to much outdoors.

All a P.I.T.A. lesson but these things happen.

(If I had a big pile of things I've "lost" over the years I'm sure I could fill a football stadium! Very Happy )

I hope you get sorted.

All the best,
Victor

SangueG and Gaz like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 am

Don't know what stores you have in Ireland, but you will probably find a suitable piece in a large DIY store like a Wickes, or a cheap tradesman parts supplier like a Toolstation or a Screwfix. Luckily the top section doesn't need any cuts to be made for the join unlike the other sections, you will only need to weather proof the top of which I am sure you can use some ingenuity.. bath seal, gaffer tape etc. Sometimes the tubes from there for home use are anodized, so you might need to do some abrasive rubbing where it connects to another tube. 

Do like Victor's thought of checking inside the other tubes though for the lost one. Fingers cross for you that it's in there.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2023 8:23 am

I'm guessing the sections are around 3 foot long since they are about 18' and in 6 sections ?
Maybe a piece of an old tv antenna. Is there a TV aerial bloke nearby?

Ps, I meant to send this earlier whilst in work but forgot 👍🏼🤣

rekibrepus likes this post

Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2023 9:28 pm

just a quick update, had a good look round and alternatives, yesterday I nipped over the border to B&Q and they had the correct diameter and wall thickness piece 1 metre long and only £6. fitted it today and perfect, problem solved. Thanks for all the advice guys. Be happy.

73s

GaryWilson, Victor, Tristar, SangueG, Sharpshooter, DerekF and Alex728 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vertical antenna missing piece.   antenna - Vertical antenna missing piece. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vertical antenna missing piece.
Page 1 of 1