Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New callsing request (Issued)
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:28 am by Miliko

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:55 am by Razz229

» New Callsign Request
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:53 pm by John123

» New member - vintage rigs in use?
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:18 pm by andy pi

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by John H

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:31 pm by FreqFreak

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:12 pm by 26CT1074

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2024 10:47 pm by Lynton

» South Coast PMR net report
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2024 8:43 am by Razz229

Keywords
anytone display chart 2022 list 2023 6900 president power 9900 lincoln callsign Baofeng call sign antenna ALINCO Sirio yaesu meter Mobile ss9900 Mckinley frequency supply software
QRZ Database

Homebrew External Keying Circuit...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Empty
PostSubject: Homebrew External Keying Circuit...    Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2023 8:38 am

Most CB radios don't have a facility to key (trigger) an external linear amplifier. They have to rely on the amplifier sensing the RF from the radio, to key it up. 

I've built an external circuit to do exactly the same, but to use with my own linears amplifiers. For example, if you wanted to connect a President Lincoln to say an Acom ham amplifier, then you'd need to use a footswich to key the amplifier into transmit, whilst pressing the PTT on the radio's mic. 

This external circuit does away with that, as it automatically detects the RF from the rig and puts the amplifier into transmit. I've also included a SSB delay, so that the relay doesn't chatter. 

I based this circuit on a design from the keying circuit in a Zetagi B47. Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  20230812
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  20230810
Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  20230811

Last edited by MM0IMC on Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Les-1, Victor, Alan Pilot and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew External Keying Circuit...    Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2023 9:42 am

Well done there Ian. Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  1f44d 

Love a bit of homebrew especially when there's perfboard, hand wiring, diecast boxes and dymo embossed labels involved....you scored right on every count! Smile

Thanks for posting.

All the best,
Victor

MM0IMC likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew External Keying Circuit...    Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2023 10:43 am

Victor wrote:
Well done there Ian. Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  1f44d 

Love a bit of homebrew especially when there's perfboard, hand wiring, diecast boxes and dymo embossed labels involved....you scored right on every count! Smile

Thanks for posting.

All the best,
Victor
This is the second one that I've built, the other one was in a nicer box.  It's now being used by someone else, to do the same job.

I've used hot glue to anchor the perfboard, but to also insulate it from the metal chassis.  The relay used could probably key up an old Yaesu FL-2100 or Heathkit type amplifier, without any problems.  That's important, as these older amps have high voltage on them to switch them into transmit and can damage modern ham rigs.  Modern amps in comparison, use 12V DC at very low current to put the amp into transmit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew External Keying Circuit...    Homebrew External Keying Circuit...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homebrew External Keying Circuit...
Page 1 of 1