Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeToday at 8:29 am by chazwozza

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
frequency software lincoln 9900 antenna 2023 sign ALINCO meter Mckinley list yaesu callsign ss9900 Mobile power display Baofeng chart president 2022 call supply 6900 anytone Sirio
QRZ Database

Crossing the pond

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 am

Morning all,

Hope you are having good weekends. 

I was wondering whether people could share their experiences about USA / Canada / America's contacts. I had a SSB radio but ended up selling it on. I currently have an AM/FM rig and 70W amplifier. 

I have managed a FM contact with Nova Scotia (Canada) however that was only the once. Recently the US have been booming in on AM and LSB. 

Has anyone had success on AM and what power is required assuming a good 1/2 wave or 5/8 antenna setup? I appreciate those on AM in the US have big power so I guess it will be difficult to be heard. 

By comparison, what chances do you have 25W LSB again assuming good setup and equivalent conditions. 

I am thinking either bigger amp and keep trying AM or just accept SSB is the way to go.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond. 

Regards,

Tony

26CT4488
Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4879 / M7PCA
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : North Walsham, JO02QU
Equipment Used : FT1000MP !!!!!!binatone 5*,alinco dx10 135,sirio4000,silver rod,G5RV,beofeng 17 pro max, X30 duel 2m/70cm,full size G5RV, TS120v,soon new toy

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 10:53 am

Well you could buy a 1kw amp new rig, new twig, but if the sun not kind and the propergation not right don't matter how much you putting out, is it worth loosing all your setup and a fine????
I use legal power, silver rod and long wire, fm, usb, lsd & am had Canada, USA,( new Jersey seems to be the best for me at the mo) mexico, greenland
It's the old saying right place right time so don't give up, some days I struggle to get 15miles others across the pond.
If you want dx most the time get another ssb set up, there are loads to pick from, a good ariel helps (antron 99)ect ect spot on swr and good qual coax
And if all else fails just keep trying, I'm trying for my first 10m contact no luck yet but I'll keep calling on 29.600 untill I do, hard work with low power but (Victor ct admin) does ok
Good luck and don't give up!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 11:19 am

Hi Peewee,

Thanks for your reply. You are spot on about power - not always the answer and to be honest I am thinking about selling my amp and one of my FM/Am rigs as a bundle to put towards a SSB radio again. I am looking at the new Superstar 3900 at the moment although I would probably expand it to get a few more bands. Max power is only 25W which is more than enough! Left standard is 12W but then I can only use band D (EU Cept/MIDs).

Best regards,

Tony
26CT4488
Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Equipment Used : FT1000MP !!!!!!binatone 5*,alinco dx10 135,sirio4000,silver rod,G5RV,beofeng 17 pro max, X30 duel 2m/70cm,full size G5RV, TS120v,soon new toy

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 11:33 am

Got my alinco dx10 set up for UK fm cb, EU cb, lower mid n upper ssb & 10m ham band
I use am, fm, usb, lsb all legal power
There is a member on here that can sent you the set up to program what you get and most new radios you can wide band from shop or two or 3 buttons yourself
Bit diff for me as now have ham so can use 10m now(thank you ofcom) foundation weren't allowed to use it untill the update to freq ect ect and licencing conditions
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 pm

peewee norfolk wrote:
Got my alinco dx10 set up for UK fm cb, EU cb, lower mid n upper ssb & 10m ham band
I use am, fm, usb, lsb all legal power
There is a member on here that can sent you the set up to program what you get and most new radios you can wide band from shop or two or 3 buttons yourself
Bit diff for me as now have ham so can use 10m now(thank you ofcom) foundation weren't allowed to use it untill the update to freq ect ect and licencing conditions
Hi Peewee,

The Dx10 is certainly a nice looking rig. I have had a 6900n before (didn't have it long and probably regret selling it). I am keen to try the superstar 3900 as looks great. I might buy it and keep it standard to start with and then wideband it when I get bored. Apparently you just cut the white wire and that unlocks it. 

I didn't know that about the Ham band. I thought as foundation you would have had no probs on 10m and below just limited to 10W. 

Regards,

Tony
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2023 6:25 pm

peewee norfolk wrote:
Well you could buy a 1kw amp new rig, new twig, but if the sun not kind and the propergation not right don't matter how much you putting out, is it worth loosing all your setup and a fine????
I use legal power, silver rod and long wire, fm, usb, lsd & am had Canada, USA,( new Jersey seems to be the best for me at the mo) mexico, greenland
It's the old saying right place right time so don't give up, some days I struggle to get 15miles others across the pond.
If you want dx most the time get another ssb set up, there are loads to pick from, a good ariel helps (antron 99)ect ect spot on swr and good qual coax
And if all else fails just keep trying, I'm trying for my first 10m contact no luck yet but I'll keep calling on 29.600 untill I do, hard work with low power but (Victor ct admin) does ok
Good luck and don't give up!!!!!!!

As long as he doesn't interfere with air, military, marine etc, he would have about as much chance of platting fog as getting a fine and losing his setup for a burner.
Even if you are transmitting on legal power with your Alinco on 10mtr and 11mtr it is also deemed a no no .

Not having a go or being sarcastic, just saying 👍🏼😁

peewee norfolk likes this post

Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2023 6:42 pm

No probs sharpshooter I know what you mean, I have my foundation so can use 10m as for 11m don't laugh my binatone 5* serves me well @ 4w

glenn dog and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Miura
Contributor
Contributor
Miura

Call Sign : 26-CT-4388
QTH or Location : Cirencester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTDX10 | Ranger RCI-2995 DX HP | Sirio 2008 Antenna

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitimeSat Nov 25, 2023 10:56 am

A good rig for DX is the President Mc Kinley. Couple it with your amp and you Will get the US and more on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
https://gc20.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Sponsored content

Crossing the pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crossing the pond   Crossing the pond Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crossing the pond
Page 1 of 1