Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
ALINCO lincoln president list Sirio Baofeng sign 2023 Mobile 6900 ss9900 display call Mckinley supply antenna chart anytone software power 9900 callsign yaesu 2022 frequency meter
QRZ Database

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Empty
PostSubject: ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER    ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 12:58 am

Listening to a Ham Operator the other day and he was telling another operator what frequencies were busy close to him. I must admit even though I started in the late 70's my radios have been pretty old fashioned. I do have 2XCRTs 6900 & 9900 but is there a device/meter that can indicate what frequencies within it's location range are busy?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER    ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 6:18 am

Hi Thomas,

The Ham operator you were listening to was more than likely using one of the many modern radios that allow you to visually 'see' the radio spectrum around the signal they were receiving.

Here's a typical example from the Icom IC-7300 :-

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Ic730010

With this functionality they can see a whole chunk of the RF spectrum and the signals within them.

These are often called 'waterfall displays' due to the way the visual data scrolls downwards akin to an actual waterfall.

You can look up videos on their operation by searching for such radios as the "Icom IC-7300" or the "Yaesu FT991a" etc. etc. to see how they operate.

There are ways of performing this functionality on a radio not equipped with such 'delights' by hooking up a SDR or Software Defined Receiver and then using an automatic transmit/receive switch box. That way you transmit on one radio whilst receiving on the SDR via a computer, software and VDU or monitor to view the received information.

A further way is with an IF (Intermediate Frequency) tap where the SDR is directly wired to the receiver circuitry in your radio/rig/transceiver so that the information you see is actually what your rig is receiving rather than just simply the SDR itself.

I suppose there are ways of hooking up standalone SDR units (such as the Malachite?) again using a transmit/receive box mentioned already.

You could for free experience such operational receiving examples with online SDR sites that stream such data across the internet by looking at receivers on the following link :-

http://rx.linkfanel.net/

Just scroll into the world map where you like and click on one of the many map points to select their receiver....you'll soon be greeted with a reception window and a scrolling waterfall of received signals.

Nowadays as many radios come equipped with such 'features' especially on the Amateur Radio market some people don't seem to be able to live without them. It certainly must look instantly gratifying to see such technology operating and become to rely on it.

Me....I use one of the many radios that don't come equipped with such 'frivolities' <ahem> 'features' instead spinning that VFO or channel selector and simply using my ears to listen instead. Wink

Besides, Panadapters and such aren't exactly a new idea being available for many a decade even in valve guise :-

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Panaha10

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Vintag10

In this day and age of microcomputers, microchips and pretty colour displays they're infinitely cheaper and easier to bung inside modern radios. Wink

Others will more than likely have various input into this all Thomas probably loving such technology and 'what it can do' for them. So long as everyone is enjoying their radio pursuits who am I to argue. ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  1f44d 

(I use 'waterfalls' myself for my digimode FT4/8 adventures via WSJT-X so I'm a bit of a hypocrite really. Razz )

I hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Blue Boy
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3366
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : North Manchester
Equipment Used : crt 6900n - midland 705d -

PostSubject: Re: ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER    ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2023 2:27 pm

Thank you Victor - again! I’ve seen the Icom display but thought it was some form of strength meter - never having used one. I don’t like paying 1000s for a radio even if it is good value. I can spend that easily on other things. I thought there might have been a ‘stand alone’ unit. I’ll try that link as well. Thanks very much.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER    ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACTIVE FREQUENCY METER
Page 1 of 1