Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
2023 callsign 2022 antenna Mckinley president 6900 ALINCO supply lincoln display anytone Sirio 9900 list software meter Mobile Baofeng call ss9900 sign chart yaesu frequency power
QRZ Database

Range testing LPD433

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
getLamp

Call Sign : 26-CT-4997
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Quansheng UV-5K, Thunderpole T-X, Radioddity GD-73

Range testing LPD433 Empty
PostSubject: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2023 10:14 am

I recently bought a pair of Midland G9 Pro radios that can also use the 69 channels of LPD on 433 MHz. The allowable power on this band is 10mW, so effectively just 1/50th of PMR446

I decided a good place to test this was at Grange-over-sands where there is great LOS from the promenade at the railway station to the disused lido building.

Using channel 42 (434.1 MHz) my partner and I got perfect, fully quieting performance from the radios at just over 1km at the same level. I'm fairly confident you could get up to 2km, possibly 3km on this band.

I'm impressed by what's possible with such low power.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2023 5:12 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting with your reports of utilising LPD radios, sounds like you had some good radio fun. Range testing LPD433 1f44d 

You'd be surprised at the sort of ranges you'd get out of such devices (albeit short in radio terms) and seems like they're performing the function they were designed for. They can definitely take away the stress of overcrowding sometimes experienced on the PMR446 band.

They'll be some with a bone of contention that these devices sit within the Amateur 70cm band plan and many won't be up to date with the legislation. (They dropped the data only regulation back in 2006!) Then again some don't need their cages barely flinched before they start a rattling it. Wink
You're hardly likely to cause interference with 10mW anyway.

I'm not sure but I think this is the first posting of such radio devices here at Charlie Tango and good to see especially with our all encompassing motto of "The home of ALL things radio".

Great posting Mark and glad you're enjoying yourself.

All the best,
Victor

Razz229, Red Rooster LN-4614 and getLamp like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
getLamp

Call Sign : 26-CT-4997
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Quansheng UV-5K, Thunderpole T-X, Radioddity GD-73

PostSubject: Re: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 1:43 am

Thanks Victor

I've just purchased some children's walkie-talkies made by Dickie. These are being featured on a couple of the amateur radio YouTube channels at the moment like Andy Kirby.

They seem very basic, with no channel selection or any other features, but what's interesting about them is that they use 2.4GHz and seem to kick out about 100mW.

Range test on those coming soon.

Victor and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 6:38 am

Yeah, I've seen the type of walkies you're on about there Mark but I'm pretty sure the UK limit is 10mW as well for licence free use. (I'll have to go check.)

2.4GHz is a pretty packed band when you look up the spectrum management details so I'd assume the reason for low power limits is to prevent cross user interference.

There's a good page on the Ofcom website with a map of radio spectrum use for anyone interested :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/spectrum/map.html

Luckily most of these organising bodies nowadays work quite closely together internationally which is especially useful with our modern global economy. Chances are nowadays that a radio bought from one country is legal in another but there may be caveats so always worth checking.

I'm all up for a bit of radio fun so long as everyone is careful not to cause problems for other legitimate radio users as that's when the troubles start. You only have to look at the infamy surrounding the old Baofeng UV5 and how it ultimately got banned for sale in certain countries whilst bemoaned in others. All that does is screw things up for legitimate users who may not have deep pockets. (Myself included as it was my first bit of Amateur Radio kit introducing me to typical Ham operations.) Although there will always be people who openly and actively abuse the airwaves which is why I don't do too much VHF/UHF work nowadays especially on the repeaters.....kerchunk, kerchunk, whistle, raspberry, animal noises, keying up, etc. Rolling Eyes

Any sort of 'rules' can be a P.I.T.A. but quite often there's good reason behind them.

Anyway, look forward to more postings from you there Mark as it all adds a bit of radio diversity to the group which is most welcomed. Range testing LPD433 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2023 1:06 pm

Here's another radio spectrum list, a bit older but I find this easier to follow: https://ukspec.tripod.com/spectrum.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Range testing LPD433   Range testing LPD433 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Range testing LPD433
Page 1 of 1