Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» NATO 2000 Restoration
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:30 pm by micscave

» New Member (Issued)
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Data modes help. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:41 am by Razz229

Keywords
supply software 6900 yaesu list callsign lincoln meter ss9900 display 2022 president sign 2023 Mckinley anytone Mobile Sirio ALINCO frequency power antenna Baofeng 9900 chart call
QRZ Database

Data modes help.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-370 & MM3TAM
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Clydebank, Scotland
Equipment Used : Various on 2/4/10/11m and 70cm

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 12:18 am

Hi again,

Looking to play around and make some contacts via FT8 or other modes.
Using a CRT 7900 Turbo if I can, can anyone recommend an interface that will work with this and my PC? The more user friendly the better. Very Happy 
Never used data so this should be interesting. lol!

Thanks

Tam

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 7:32 am

Hi Tam,

Unfortunately it's not always as easy as it seems when it comes to FT8 on some radios compared to the mainstream Ham stuff. Most Hams just purchase an interface for their appropriate modern radio model then it's pretty much plug-and-play from thereafter. (Apart from maybe software setups and Windows 'forgetting' port settings and such!)

The simplest setup you could try for receive only is to run a jack from the radios external speaker output and then into the line-in of your PC or maybe even the microphone input of a laptop. You'd then have to turn the CB radios volume to it's lowest level increasing it slowly until the software started decoding signals. Even then it may be fraught with problems in not having any port 'isolation' so you mostly get noise without much decoding going on.

Anything is possible and I even built my own interface so that I could run my 40 odd year old Yaesu FT757gx on FT8 when I first started but it was less than ideal. With the initial 'warm-up' frequency drift, limited audio response on both receive as well as transmit it wasn't that great. That was after all my efforts into interfacing a radio with some sort of facilities for connectivity and on a CB radio might take some ingenuity in wiring up a mic-plug connector to access the PTT/TX controls and audio input. Even then you've got to get the 'levels' right to successfully use it.

(Plus there isn't a whole lot going on with 11m as far as FT8 goes but the 10m band can be busy and exciting.)

That probably sounds like I've inappropriately quenched your fire (to use a less rude term Wink ) as there's bound to be many that have managed to jury rig up some sort of setup and got it all working.

Might be worth having a scour around the old internet Tam for anyone that has documented such a CB to FT8/digi-mode setup and see if that helps you out. I would look myself for you but with grandchildren living with us at the moment we're up to our necks with Xmas and stretched beyond belief. (I'm slowly losing my sanity! Very Happy )

Sorry I couldn't be of much help further.

All the best,
Victor

TamGlasgow likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 10:35 am

Thank you Victor for your usual in depth reply! My fire is still alight Laughing.
I am using 10 and 11 metres on this radio so thought I'd be able to use data via interface like this one on it on 10 metres. Rigexpert ti-3000 - transceiver interface at Radioworld UK
Oh well, back to the drawing board

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 11:17 am

Just to add... My reason for looking into data modes is my hearing, it is shocking!
Sometimes I find it hard to hear conversations and think looking at contacts on a screen would be easier. Laughing

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 11:28 am

It's not impossible Tam but I just couldn't quickly find an off the shelf solution for you unfortunately.

If you're the type handy with a soldering iron there are loads of options such as the following :-

https://orlokmagelang.or.id/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/SKEMA-INTERFACE-YES.jpg

http://ocarc.us/images/2016/projects/fldigi-interface-schematic.jpg

They have the appropriate isolation and even PTT (Push To Talk or TX keying) circuitry with VOX switching circuitry suitable for those radios not equipped with such. (All looks elegantly simple if you're so qualified/experienced.)

You wouldn't have USB CAT control but all that does on most radios is just tune it to the appropriate frequency via software....you can easily dial in say '28.074MHz' and select USB yourself. Wink

I know what you mean regards hearing as I've been losing mine more and more as the years go by (too much motorcycling) and FT8 is a very enjoyable option. Works well too with even minimal antenna setups. (I've hit all around the world even with my loft antenna.)

I'll have another scan about when I can to see what's out there but otherwise at least you now know what sort of thing you're looking for. (Commercial items like the one you referenced seem great but often not up to the task you need and flipping expensive to boot!!)

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 11:37 am

I am quite happy to buy a dedicated radio for data should one exist or even trade my radios plus cash for an HF box with data.  Perhaps I should have gone for a box like the Icom7300 or similar with data modes in the first place.
Back to top Go down
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 12:16 pm

Ahh, I now know I am barking up the wrong tree, not for the first time! I thought I could simply buy an interface and hook it up to my pc and 7900 Laughing.
So I need a data capable radio AND an interface then fiddle with settings.
If anyone can recommend things I would need to get me started that would be great.
Happy to spend a few quid, well happy might be too strong a word for this jock but not loads.
Any ideas/suggestions very welcome.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 pm

If you haven't yet, look into the very popular 'SignaLink'. I cannot tell you one hundred percent that it will connect your 10m radio to your PC for data modes as I haven't done this. But I don't see why it wouldn't be able to.

It's available with many different connecting cables and also open ended wire cables to wire up yourself. I know they do an RJ45 type mic port variant, but unsure if would be directly compatible with your radio or if a wire or two would needed changing.

In the interim whilst you think about what route you want to go (new radio or an interface like this one) then you can still play with a bit of receiving and decoding. If you do a search for a Fred in the Shed video where he plays with FT8 receiving on a SS6900n, you can see how to receive quite easily with no interface box.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
TamGlasgow
Contributor
Contributor

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 2:04 pm

SangueG wrote:
If you haven't yet, look into the very popular 'SignaLink'. I cannot tell you one hundred percent that it will connect your 10m radio to your PC for data modes as I haven't done this. But I don't see why it wouldn't be able to.

It's available with many different connecting cables and also open ended wire cables to wire up yourself. I know they do an RJ45 type mic port variant, but unsure if would be directly compatible with your radio or if a wire or two would needed changing.

In the interim whilst you think about what route you want to go (new radio or an interface like this one) then you can still play with a bit of receiving and decoding. If you do a search for a Fred in the Shed video where he plays with FT8 receiving on a SS6900n, you can see how to receive quite easily with no interface box.
Thank you for this, will have a look. As I have said, I am wet behind the ears here so, the more ideas the better.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2023 10:14 am

TamGlasgow wrote:
Ahh, I now know I am barking up the wrong tree, not for the first time! I thought I could simply buy an interface and hook it up to my pc and 7900 Laughing.
So I need a data capable radio AND an interface then fiddle with settings.
If anyone can recommend things I would need to get me started that would be great.
Happy to spend a few quid, well happy might be too strong a word for this jock but not loads.
Any ideas/suggestions very welcome.

Thanks

If you buy a rig that connects to the computer via USB such as the Icom 7300, Yaesu FTDX710, Kenwood TS590 then they have an internal soundcard so you use the USB connection for both rig control and TX/RX audio. No interface required. The Kenwood TS590S (not SG) is quite old now and can be found for around £500-£600 used.

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2023 10:48 am

The Yaesu FT-991a is a good radio and it is a shack in a box HF + 2m/70cm.
Had mine some time now and won't part with it.
It will do everything you could want to do.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Data modes help. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Data modes help.   Data modes help. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Data modes help.
Page 1 of 1